xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: October 17 Downtime for Xbox.com and Xbox Live  (Read 2953 times)

Maverick-DBZ-

• Recovered User
October 17 Downtime for Xbox.com and Xbox Live
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(edrift101 @ Oct 12 2006, 02:30 PM) View Post

Quick question - let's say we all get banned.  Is it the console, my VISA card, me personally (contact info) or all of the above that is banned for life?

If MS keeps with tradition only your console will be banned. Most likely some type of eeprom ban like the Xbox had.

Mega_mil

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(edrift101 @ Oct 12 2006, 10:30 PM) View Post

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft wouldn't want to brick any 360's with a firmware update or ban ANYONE right before the PS3 comes out.  It would negatively effect their console sales this holiday season.

This could be for server maintence and new hidden features that will be rolled out with the Nov dash update.

Still I'll be unplugging my 360 during this down time and keeping it unplugged until I see what happens.  
Quick question - let's say we all get banned.  Is it the console, my VISA card, me personally (contact info) or all of the above that is banned for life?

How could it affect console sales if people aren't buying the games to begin with??? blink.gif  blink.gif

Mega_mil

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 05:33:00 PM »

Here's a better question, Do you really think people would not buy the 360 because of a faulty update?  I think the fact that the whole damn system is faulty to begin with is what would detour someone... tongue.gif  But on the getting banned thing, the people that use the expliot know what they are doing so of course you can't be mad if M$ tries to shut it down.  It's the same ol cat and mouse game.

ASmithz

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 06:26:00 PM »

Mabey this has something to do with all the games getting released that day.... mabey

Software2

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2006, 06:35:00 PM »

I love how the first thing on everyone's mind is bannings (myself included). But what if it really is just some new features?

We'll find out in any case. There are people that don't pay attention to the news, and they'll log on with their pirated copies like they do every day, and if they get banned, the rest of us will know.  biggrin.gif

MeanMF

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2006, 06:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(Software2 @ Oct 13 2006, 01:42 AM) View Post

I love how the first thing on everyone's mind is bannings (myself included). But what if it really is just some new features?

That's very possible...but the timing of the update, right before a slew of AAA titles come out, is a little alarming.  Plus they've already announced that Vista will almost completely disable itself if you're running an unlicensed copy, so they're not going to be shy if/when they do respond to the firmware hacks.

edrift101

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2006, 07:09:00 PM »

"How could it affect console sales if people aren't buying the games to begin with??? blink.gif blink.gif"

Well, some of us ARE running backups of games we own.  My original copy of GRAW got pretty beat up and I didn't feel like buying it again, so I hacked the firmware.  Plus, I do purchase Live arcade games and subscribe to Live.  So, on a monthly basis they are making $15-100 off of me depending on what's released.

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »

Uggg... I knew what this thread was going to be when I saw the news...

Heres a good scenerio.....

Update comes.. people post that everything is working fine...

and then 1 month later they suddenly flip a switch and block access to live...

I think it is complete B.S. that people are not connect to live after the update.. you are never going to be safe unless you never connect to live.

BOTTOM LINE.. IF YOU MOD YOUR CONSOLE YOU ARE RISKING THE LOSS OF FEATURES.  

Speculation just feeds the fearmongers...

BTW: Xbox 1 Bans did not come with a update.. they just flipped a switch one day after collecting loads of information... guess thats their M.O... guess you all are screwed..

j3y q

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »

all we can really do is wait , yes we specualte on what might happen or what wont happen but in the end we just scaring ourselfs with this lets just wait and see.........but damn im praying they dont ban just yet. blink.gif

Boydster

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(daghostmon @ Oct 12 2006, 08:27 PM) View Post

It would be risky doing anything that might kill more 360's right now with the refurb factory running 24/7 and alot of you guys already bricking your own 360's for them. they don't need to attack just yet. I'm thinking maybe a web browser or taking the camera to another level like an youtube like video section.

I'm convinced. You've nailed it right there.

And they did say something about the 360 and youtube in the same sentence in the past...

rippinitto

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(nectar12 @ Oct 12 2006, 08:45 PM) View Post

definetly not firmware related:

"Because we're adding some cool stuff"

banning hacked firmwares would be "not so cool".

only in your eyes! wink.gif

DaShiZNiT

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(Havok @ Oct 12 2006, 08:38 PM) View Post

BTW: Xbox 1 Bans did not come with a update.. they just flipped a switch one day after collecting loads of information... guess thats their M.O... guess you all are screwed..

yeah it was called BETA, then live launched and everyone was banned

I think were in BETA right now.....

Mega_mil

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(edrift101 @ Oct 13 2006, 02:16 AM) View Post

"How could it affect console sales if people aren't buying the games to begin with??? blink.gif blink.gif"

Well, some of us ARE running backups of games we own.  My original copy of GRAW got pretty beat up and I didn't feel like buying it again, so I hacked the firmware.  Plus, I do purchase Live arcade games and subscribe to Live.  So, on a monthly basis they are making $15-100 off of me depending on what's released.

Well all it will cost you is $10 dollars to get a replacement.  That's all I did.  Mine came with a crack in the inner ring.  Due to me still playing the disc, eventually it started to move.  All I did was contact support and ask how much a replacement is and the guy told me $10 bucks.  So that shoots down the I need to backup my game because $10 bucks is nothing compared to spending $62.99 or whatever it costed you when you bought the game.  If you don't believe me I can show proof.  Now i'm not sure if every company will do this but it doesn't hurt to ask.

PS - I was talking about Ubisoft and GRAW too BTW

edrift101

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2006, 10:11:00 PM »

Hmmm... I didn't think of that.  I just assume that most companies would tell you to be more careful in the future and that there is nothing they can do.  Props to Ubisoft for providing great customer support then.

omega2468

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2006, 10:15:00 PM »

wink.gif  This is why I didnt mod mine.   Will be funny to see how many people cry cause they get banned
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16