xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: October 17 Downtime for Xbox.com and Xbox Live  (Read 3008 times)

AddNtoX

• Archived User
October 17 Downtime for Xbox.com and Xbox Live
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »

i dont think it'll nuke your console or prevent you from playng backups.  What will likley happen is(if it does happen with the live update) is the xbox will simply report back to live information on the disk being used and they will just ban you. If you only play on live with originals nothing will happen since theyre checking the disk and not the firmware.  Its the safest option for M$ really.  Because if a dashupdate did indeed need to dump the firmware to checksum it whats to say if u get a bad dump with an unmodded firmware it reports bad checksum.  Microsoft have to devise a way that doesnt produce false positives and dumping isnt one of them

MeanMF

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rockaholica @ Oct 12 2006, 09:27 PM) View Post

@MeanMF looks like your gamerpic wants to volunteer

Hehe, sorry mine's not modded.  

Rockaholica

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(AddNtoX @ Oct 12 2006, 01:38 PM) View Post

i dont think it'll nuke your console or prevent you from playng backups.  What will likley happen is(if it does happen with the live update) is the xbox will simply report back to live information on the disk being used and they will just ban you. If you only play on live with originals nothing will happen since theyre checking the disk and not the firmware.  Its the safest option for M$ really.  Because if a dashupdate did indeed need to dump the firmware to checksum it whats to say if u get a bad dump with an unmodded firmware it reports bad checksum.  Microsoft have to devise a way that doesnt produce false positives and dumping isnt one of them

(1) but theres so many different drives and therefore checksums and different scripts that will have to run to get the hash check (2) and do we even know if the HL drives can dump a checksum when they arent  in mode B? is Microsoft gunna ask people to put thier drives in mode B before they do the update?? lol

Landlocked

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »

Another serious question...would MS come right out and offer to fix a system if they bricked a DVD drive during the post-warranty period?

laurie

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(AddNtoX @ Oct 12 2006, 09:42 PM) View Post

if you play games on live the update will likley be forced to have everyone at the same version.  Compatibility reasons.  And from what ive heard this update is going to be mandatory on the forthcoming gears of war also...meaning when you stick the game in the drive u'll get a popup saying the xbox needsto be updated to play this game

And if you have been banned? no new games. So no money for MS there.

Rockaholica

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »

did this die down already?

evil_uk

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »

did anyone think all they are doing is updateing and maintaining the servers and this has nothing to do with the firmware ?

Rockaholica

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 03:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(evil_uk @ Oct 12 2006, 02:19 PM) View Post

did anyone think all they are doing is updateing and maintaining the servers and this has nothing to do with the firmware ?

aparently you...

laurie

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rockaholica @ Oct 12 2006, 10:13 PM) View Post

did this die down already?

What do you mean?

razorrifh

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(evil_uk @ Oct 12 2006, 05:19 PM) View Post

yeah, they're just adding features. people are just paranoid. the servers have to go down because they're running windows biggrin.gif gotta reboot after just about every install, heh.

edrift101

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft wouldn't want to brick any 360's with a firmware update or ban ANYONE right before the PS3 comes out.  It would negatively effect their console sales this holiday season.

This could be for server maintence and new hidden features that will be rolled out with the Nov dash update.

Still I'll be unplugging my 360 during this down time and keeping it unplugged until I see what happens.  

Quick question - let's say we all get banned.  Is it the console, my VISA card, me personally (contact info) or all of the above that is banned for life?

Rockaholica

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(laurie @ Oct 12 2006, 02:23 PM) View Post

What do you mean?

this thread there was a flurry of posts then nothing...btw when are you gunna be making sticks again?????

laurie

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(edrift101 @ Oct 12 2006, 10:30 PM) View Post

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft wouldn't want to brick any 360's with a firmware update or ban ANYONE right before the PS3 comes out.  It would negatively effect their console sales this holiday season.

This could be for server maintence and new hidden features that will be rolled out with the Nov dash update.

Still I'll be unplugging my 360 during this down time and keeping it unplugged until I see what happens.  
Quick question - let's say we all get banned.  Is it the console, my VISA card, me personally (contact info) or all of the above that is banned for life?

Yes its a worry that they can possibly link your address etc to your flashed firmware. Also (and I know I keep saying it but I think its an important issue) Once your banned from live you will not have access to the updates required for new games yet to be released. Will be a shame if I cant play GOW.

QUOTE(Rockaholica @ Oct 12 2006, 10:33 PM) View Post

this thread there was a flurry of posts then nothing...btw when are you gunna be making sticks again?????

Oh I got you sorry.
Soon I hope, still have no workshop at the moment. Hope to move before Christmas.

miggidy

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »

You call that an explanation M$? mad.gif

Why can't you tell us about this cool stuff now?
Why wait after the update?
Sounds like B$ to me dry.gif

laurie

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 04:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(miggidy @ Oct 12 2006, 10:57 PM) View Post

You call that an explanation M$? mad.gif

Why can't you tell us about this cool stuff now?
Why wait after the update?
Sounds like B$ to me dry.gif

Yeah tell me about it, they give it all the hip shpeal 'go talk to your partner, you know the one you havnt spoken to for 9 months because M$ are so f*cking cool'
But dont want to tell us what the update is for. However I doubt you would ever get a warning as such that firmware mods are about to be banned.
Who is going to be brave enough to log in on the 18th?

Just thought of something,
What about all the people (and I assume there are some) That dont use live? how will they get the dash update to play new games?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16