xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: New Skin Downloader!  (Read 760 times)

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »

Excuse me?  You was the one that quoted me from the MXM logo contest.  Not the other way around.   You are the one flaming me, you are the one protesting against AXS. I am just against your program and your willingness to abuse AXS.

There is a couple very simple points here that you and your followers are not getting.

1.  Giving you the ability to control (or not control) the number of downloads offered to a user is unacceptable. It gives you control over AXS which does not belong to you.  Yes the skins do not belong to me,  but the site itself,  the code, the bandwidth it uses are all on MomDad and myself and X-S hosting.  Bandwith does not come easy,  not at the rate we use it.  So please do,  create a site and point your app at it.  Maybe then you will understand us when you get shut down and get the bill for your bandwidth.

2. Download limits are in place for a reason. Obviously, yourself and your supporters do not understand this (see #1).  The limits are there so the site can be enjoyed and used by everyone at all times,  and not by a few leechers that suck down all the juice we got.

Like I said,  if our code cannot stop you then our only choice is to shut the site down.  We will not allow it to run rampant, that would be disrespectful to X-S, our host.   You will be able to bask in the glory, knowing it was you that took us offline,  you that in the end, limited the downloads available to the dashboards and thier users.  Myself,  I'm looking forward to more time for other things.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »

Hi Team AXS! I made the Project Mayhem Skin for XBMC. I made a site ( www.critikill.net ) for the skin, where everybody can download the latest version for the current CVS. Its the only skin that is up to date with every CVS and its the only skin, that is ported to widescreen. Thats why it is very popular. I started the site 10 days ago and i have 2300+ downloads so far. I cant handle so much traffic. Now my question: Is it posible to get the skinfiles (2x 3MB) hosted by AXS? Im talking about ftp access or something, so i can update the to the latest release by myself. Thank for your answer in advance, Mathias

Reply:
Sorry Mathias.  We are currently being held hostage and are unable to fullfill your request, seriously.  SKllZ, on forums.xbox-scene.com,  has announced his plans to create a site for skin hosting which may be able to handle your requirements.  The other option I can think of would be http://xbox-skins.net,   contact both places and see what they can do for you.

Sorry,
-KF

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (Ixzat @ Mar 21 2004, 11:46 PM)
Does anyone know how the new download system will work from within avalaunch? Its a nice thing to have and it would suck if this prog will render that funktion useless....

let me retract my ealier statement.   Avalaunch direct downloads in the app still work without AXS,  we are only one of a handful of servers supporting that dashboard.

If you have your network set up properly, you should be able to find the skins downloading in the setting,  which rocks btw. cool.gif

So what does that mean? Your not going to open back up the downloads I said I would put a 5 per day limit on it...I just think you don’t like me!

No, we arent going to open up the downloads until we think we have your app beat.   The direct dashboard downloads will be gone for good (using AXS) either way.  It would be a "security" risk that we will no longer be able to support.

zentu

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2004, 05:01:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

(If it isn't included) I was going to suggest that you place a BitTorrent (if possible) like set up in your program so that the uses of your  program wouldn't bring down the site (bandwith gets expensive), and increase the speed of updating an all that jazz.

I will try your program later though, I just want to learn a little more though, I am just using stock skins right now.

BloodyMary

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2004, 05:56:00 PM »

SKllZ,

You should just drop AXS support from your app.  And for sure drop the Anti-AXS campaign (it's a hopeless and useless campaign).  Work with other skins sites and see what you can work out with them.

Side note to any moderator, please lock or delete this pissing contest of a thread...

NightHawk117

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2004, 06:36:00 PM »

AXS is implementing a password login protection just as you enter its site. Easily avoidable if you ask me. Kinda lame if you ask me but hey, they are the owners of the site so they can do what they want.

boomboom

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2004, 06:38:00 PM »

Wow.

The first version of his app only downloaded one skin at a time.  It was another user who wanted multiple downloads added.

Blame Skllz for adding it before realizing people would abuse it, but don't call him a "lamer" and all that other bullshit and act hostile.  A simple email "hey man, can you add a limit cuz people are abusing the crap out of your app" would have worked wonders, I think.

Actually, I've asked Koldfuzion to please remove my tivo skin from AXS because of the lack of features - xbox-skins.net has way more power as far as maintaining your own skins.  It still is up there though.  Remove it already.

Maybe you can ask Skllz to change the graphics that the downloader uses too.  It sucks when people steal other people's designs.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2004, 06:42:00 PM »

man, what is the deal with eveyone wanting to suck us offline?

the password protection is there to allow me to implement the changes without having to use temp files and without disrupting the otherwise broken site.

Its not a password protection that you need to worry about breaking unless you want to see any errors that i might create while chaning the code.

I will announce it in the news when we think its done and like i said,  when we think its done...and this app circumvents our code,  then we will just shut it down... permanently.

In the mean time, feel free to huddle around the fire and keep it going.

NightHawk117

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2004, 06:49:00 PM »

Well even that password login works to disabling the prog. I also think Avalaunch skin downloader is not working right now. Dont got my xbox to try it but I believe its not.

I got nothing but respect for everyone who tries to help out the scene in any way possible. I doubt Sk||z was trying to harm the site but was trying to give people an easier access to it instead of clicking through the whole site trying to find a skin.

boomboom

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »

zentu - that "bit torrent" idea sounds very cool.  It would then ease the bandwidth usage on AXS, while making skins as easy to download as using the downloader.  

Very cool!

It just goes to show you how the operators of AXS overreacted (MOMDAD and Koldfuzion), and how Blazed had no problem with it.

Go SkllZ.

SKllZ

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2004, 07:28:00 PM »

Thanks Boomboom for the support as well! (Love the MXM Tivo Skin)

I just got a server to host skins from it has unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth. I will still be using AXS site with my app I don’t think I should stop if they allow people to download skins I don’t see any reason to take there site off my app…if you host skins to the public I will use your site in my app! I will be updating the Skin downloader tonight.

KF, If you want to take your site offline to stop me that’s up to you not me.
My app will not be stopped it will work again with ASX or not!

SKllZ

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2004, 07:34:00 PM »

I don’t see any reason why I should have to ask someone to download skins off the web…if they make downloads available for the public I will use there download section in my app.

If KF decides to shut down the site I have a server that has unlimited hard drive space and unlimited bandwidth as well just in case they shut down because they dislike me and not just cause of the harm from the app I did add a limiter to the app and that wasn’t enough to make it safe for them!

I will update the app as soon as they allow downloads again.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2004, 07:46:00 PM »

its because you are doing it to bypass our bandwidth management.  The site wasnt set up to provide secure downloads.   Anyone that really wanted to figure out how to get by our limits could very easily have done it.   You took it to another level and you still dont have the intelligence or understanding to know or realize what your app does.

In a way,  its all understandable.  You are an end user that does nothing more than download, download, download.  Until your site is up and running,  until you have to move your hosting to server after server after server,  until you see what that price of bandwidth really is you will never get it... nor will all these people that sit here cheering you on.

you dont listen do you?  try it.. just once.  listen to what people are trying to tell you.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »

and who is he to determine how many downloads AXS allows using his app??

YOU might as well determine it,  or the president... cause its not up to us and we are the ones hosting the files... get it?  We have no control over the bandwidth his app uses because we have no control over the limit  (or no limit) that he might impose.

Want me to tell you how far you can drive and for how long..... all while you are paying for the gas?

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2004, 08:18:00 PM »

sad.gif  sorry, but thats the way its going to be.

If I see a single skin being downloaded from AXS using his app... I will disable the site completely. period, end of story.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10