xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: New Skin Downloader!  (Read 765 times)

Javienn

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2004, 08:21:00 PM »

Ironic, you're telling him to listen, when you keep bringing up the bandwidth issue. Let's count how many times Skllz has said he has added (and would never have had a problem adding) a download limit to his app... let's see... 12 times.

Regardless of how many times SKllZ has posted that he can put a download restriction on his application, the situation still remains that the site admin for AXS cannot and will not be able to handle the amount of bandwidth such an application has, and will continue to generate on the site.  

Koldfusion and MomDad have developed and imposed specific restrictions for the site to allow it to continue to run amidst the fact that it is a high traffic media download site.  Maybe we are also forgetting that AXS is hosted by X-S.  We can only imagine the kind of impact that this application could have on the quality of service which X-S provides for us.  We can also understand, that X-S wouldn't stand for such a thing (not that I am in any way speaking for them), but they expect AXS admins to responsibly manage such a situation as this.  If that means shutting down the site so as not to affect the service/stability of X-S, neither the admins of AXS, or X-S have any doubts what choice would be made.

Nobody means to accuse your application of being low quality, stupid, useless, or anything of the sort.  The only thing KF and MomDad are trying to get you to understand is that you do not manage the site in any way shape or form, nor do you have any input into how it is run, nor do you play any rule in financing the maintenance and bandwidth it takes to keep the site afloat.  Your application is unique, and an excellent idea, but we need to understand that the traffic it causes for AXS is undesired, unmanagable, and unreasonable if they wish to keep the site up and running.

Take these things into consideration before you release your next build, please.  As a user of Avalaunch and a beta tester for UnleashX, AXS is an invaluable resource that I would not want to see lost, no matter the circumstances.  There are many individuals here who would love to see your application strive, but not at the extent of the loss of AXS.  You have already stated that you have access to an unlimited storage/bandwidth server/host, so by all means, make your application the best you can make it, based 100% off of bandwidth you manage/finance.

We need to remember that AXS is Koldfusion's and MomDad's creation, and nobody wants to see something they have made used and controlled by someone else in a way that cannot be managed or controlled by the individuals who have earned through development hours, financing, and respect, the right to decide how their content is provided to their endusers.  You can, and I encourage you by all means to create your own server backend for this awesome app, and make it thrive, and it could do great! But don't do it at the expense of a great resource and supporter of the xbox community.  

They deserve more respect than that, and as a user and supporter of AXS, I believe they have earned it.

-Javienn

Thanks for reading.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2004, 08:57:00 PM »

The truth of the matter is this. It is extremely simple (in PHP, ASP, etc) to restrict downloads. It's just a matter of someone learning the skills needed to do this. The entire reason for this problem is because of poorly coded PHP. This problem would go away INSTANTLY with a simple script. Look on some of the PHP/ASP tutorial sites to learn how.

Easy drive from the back seat.   Keep riding man.. you do a good job.

The fact is our php and code was fine.  We managed the bandwidth usage, we prevented most spiders and download manager from raping us,  The other fact is that we didnt lock it down that tight because we really didnt think the desire for skins would cause someone to create a leech app AND It had to stay open to support Avalaunch Direct downloads and UnleashX direct downloads (hopefully one day MXM too),  but now that will never happen.   This app stole that from those dashboards and the scene. Plain and simple.  Now AXS will never support them again, not because we dont want to but because we cant.

Jump on the bandwagon and voice your dislikes of AXS, MomDad and myself all you want.  Your name calling and accusations dont bother me,  just the fact that you had the nerve to say anything is proof you have at least marble sized nuts.  Was it your right to pick a side and talk about something you have no idea about? Sure it was!  you have a brain, your 12, it gives you the right to shoot someone else or shoot you own foot.  Who cares?

I'm no where near perfect, all I know I have slaved over this site for almost 2 years, put up with many a server change because of our bandwidth usage. I've  spent many a night (almost every night) updating and approving everyones skins for download to keep the content relatively clean and responsible.  There is just so much that goes on with the site that you dont appreciate that makes me want to spite you and shut it down... why waste my time if it doesnt matter?  It matters because you are not the ultimate driving force in the scene and your opinion is just that,  an opinion.  It has the weight of a grain of salt.

I dont give a damn if you respect me or not, Im not asking you to, I asking you (your side of this senseless arguement) to respect our time spent, our work, and our dedication to keep our offerings and the rights of our host by leaving us alone, shutting your mouth and do so while you download from us using the limits we set to keep the site up.

If that is really that hard to get a grip on... you have some serious issues you need to resolve.

unleashx

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2004, 08:58:00 PM »

QUOTE (koldfuzion @ Mar 22 2004, 01:18 PM)
Downloading to the dashboards will be permanently disabled,  sad.gif  sorry, but thats the way its going to be.

Ugh, hours of work down the drain, and the public didn't even saw how cool it looked. Downloading from www.allxboxskins.com...90% completed. sad.gif

Anyways, that's the way it is. I've no ill feelings. KF/MD has all the rights to their site. I was just using it and thankful that such a site exists.

back to the drawing board...

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2004, 09:13:00 PM »

sorry UX,  i dont want to see it go either,  but until there is a secure alternative thought up.. we dont have a choice.

for those who think they have a clue about why we complain.

Bandwidth usage (current month) 403050.35 Megabytes.   Host that yourself.  But now you have to multiply that by hundreds (to be conservative) of people that just want to leech it all for no reason.

We've been through 2 servers, this is our 3rd, we lost $$ doing it when we started and X_S has thankfully picked us up. we definitley dont want to lose this hosting too because if we do... then that is definitely it.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2004, 09:24:00 PM »

you dont think im using headers, checking and storing IP's(also while checking for proxy agents and using those IPs if one is not given for the client), setting and checking cookies.. I am.    The problem is that our file structure is open and easily interpreted.  One long serious look and a person could figure out how to do it.  We are changing that.. but its going to hurt others besides us.  ^^^

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2004, 09:31:00 PM »

I don't respect MomDad's work though

I can see you saying you dont respect him because of the way he come off sometimes,  but i understand because i've felt the pain along side him.  he's bold,  his work is bold and beautiful,  its almost everywhere in this scene, I respect that and I dont see how anyone cant.

Without MomDad, AXS would have died a long time ago. We started the site just from a simple chat and a common desire to get the skin "out there", evoxskins.net was the only thing running at the time.. and XBMP was hot on the scene.  You dont have to respect him, his work, his time or what he offers.  While im sure he would be appreciative if you did... its not a requirement to download from AXS, nor to keep it running and keeping it running is what he is concerned about, we both are.

Did he express his anger and dissatisfaction for the app.. I think we can all agree that he did.  Im not trying to take up or smooth out his words,  I believe he has the right to say what he thinks because its his time, energy and hard work that goes into the site too.

fLEx7325

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »

dry.gif

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2004, 10:01:00 PM »

skin downloading has been re-enabled.  lets see what happens.  

I will continue with other mods that I will have to do later tonight to facilitate skin uploading.   I still have some skins waiting in cue and cant approve them for download until i get those mods done too.  So if you recently uploaded one or more.. just be patience until i can get the time to do it.

SKllZ

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2004, 10:17:00 PM »

Working on the new release right now. I’ll post the new version when it gets done. The site is allowing downloads right now so I need to get to work!

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2004, 10:22:00 PM »

final warning.  

One single skin from AXS shows up in that app and AXS will be shut down.  And if that happens, I hope hell rains down on you.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2004, 10:33:00 PM »

you still arent understanding me.

not a single one.

why?  because if you can pull it off, then there exists a tool for users to unknowingly bring down AXS,  possibly the X-S forums and X-S too.

There will exists a way to pass our measures and go straight to our source without limit.

Your app could be used against us... any time.. at your will.

We will not sit here and wait for that to happen, or guess when it will.  

We will simply relieve ourselves of that burden by not providing you or your users the tool to do it.  

If the site doesnt exist, then the threat is gone.  

A single skin.  Just one, listed in your app is all i need to see.

Thats the last word i have on the matter.  So i guess we will just have to wait for whats in store.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2004, 10:43:00 PM »

not in the slightest bit.  

I dont say it as to specifically target your app just for the fun of it.

I say it because i have the decency to not put X-S hosting in any more difficult position than we already sit.  

We are not the only ones hosted by them,  we will not build the site up to make it required any deep authentication or user accounts to get skins,  we will not waste X-S bandwidth just to save face and do battles,  if our measure arent enough to prevent this app from making us a target,  then we dont need to be up at all.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2004, 11:10:00 PM »

Our limit is 0.

we have one 1 add banner that runs on the site,  i dont think that is a significant arguement for anyone.   We have never (except the once) accepted offers for advertisers to keep the visits enjoyable... or so we thought.

Its not about what you can do for us.. its the ability you have to use it against us.   We never solicite AXS other than our signatures in the forum.

Xbox-Skins.net has stuff that obviously came from AXS originally (not trying to create another stink, so please dont take it that way) and we dont have a problem with that.   However,  when a comment was made on that site to get more skins uploaded I did have to ask not to do it all at one time but rather spread it out.

So whats the difference?   The difference is that the skins uploads are done by the users, Blazed uses his bandwidth to host those files.   I used to contribute to his site personnally until I was flamed there just like i am here, (not by Blazed, done by an ignorant user unfortunately but still made me stop contributing).

again....   your app,    uses our bandwidth,      it does so at your control              

you have no affiliation with us,  you owe us nothing           you can use this tool against us at any time    

using it again us, is a use against  xbox-scene.com and all those that are hosted by them

we will not sit idle,  knowning of this risk             and if the only way to prevent

is    is my easily bypassed, insignificant php coding skills.... then i would prefer to

take it down   before the chance to every use it like that could arise.

Am I saying you are someone that would unleash unlimited downloads on us on purpose  with hateful intent?    no,    I am simply stating that you have that ability and that is not something that we will every be happy with.

So I hope my final measures prevent you from success, unfortunately,  but necessary.  And if not I will be more than willing to visit your website and use your tool along with it.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2004, 11:16:00 PM »

Actually, I've asked Koldfuzion to please remove my tivo skin from AXS because of the lack of features - xbox-skins.net has way more power as far as maintaining your own skins. It still is up there though. Remove it already.

Gone,  though i dont remember you asking to have it removed.   Either way, its done.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
New Skin Downloader!
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2004, 12:05:00 AM »

smile.gif
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10