xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!  (Read 556 times)

Ozmods

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2003, 10:11:00 PM »

Ye i just used a fiberglass pen to remove the solder mask..

hippo

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2003, 02:17:00 AM »

Nice work the importance of the findings speak for themself but I'm sure most of us will add our dumb comment.

- Romeo -

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2003, 02:33:00 AM »

Hi to everyone.  smile.gif
I'm sorry for my terrible english,  i'm happy for your interest.
Thanks for the appreciation.

Grazie Andry! biggrin.gif

Ubergeek

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2003, 08:58:00 AM »

QUOTE (littlejonny @ Nov 8 2003, 11:57 PM)
this is a very simple solder join

This really is an irresponssible thing to say - especially on these forums wink.gif

the only ppl i see jumping for joy are the stores / shops who pay $2 for these chips and fit them for $45

please guys if you are unsure of your soldering skills do not even think about doing this. its very difficult and also very easy to screw your box up. If you REALLY want it done then you can buy the SST 49LF020 for around $2 - $3 and any reputable electronics store can fit this in around 5 minutes and shouldnt charge you more than $15 - $20.

in fact the extra cost of the equipment to do this yourself correctly far far outweighs the cost of buying any mod with no lframe support (and before assholes start bitching i didnt mention xecuter - i said ANY mod)

on a final note - credit once again to Romeo for finding this point - its actually very very useful in development terms and also another good discovery for the homebrew community.

Ozmods

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2003, 09:50:00 AM »

QUOTE (Ubergeek @ Nov 9 2003, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (littlejonny @ Nov 8 2003, 11:57 PM)
this is a very simple solder join

This really is an irresponssible thing to say - especially on these forums wink.gif

the only ppl i see jumping for joy are the stores / shops who pay $2 for these chips and fit them for $45

please guys if you are unsure of your soldering skills do not even think about doing this. its very difficult and also very easy to screw your box up. If you REALLY want it done then you can buy the SST 49LF020 for around $2 - $3 and any reputable electronics store can fit this in around 5 minutes and shouldnt charge you more than $15 - $20.

in fact the extra cost of the equipment to do this yourself correctly far far outweighs the cost of buying any mod with no lframe support (and before assholes start bitching i didnt mention xecuter - i said ANY mod)

on a final note - credit once again to Romeo for finding this point - its actually very very useful in development terms and also another good discovery for the homebrew community.

I agree..This isn't easy at all..

Also I would recommend that anyone who wants to install a Mod them use a Lframe Mod
With all the feature Like a  Xecuter 2, X-bit or Chameleon.
It is cheaper than screwing your Xbox up

Anyone in Aust that can't find a Xecuter 2.2 Let me know i have them in stock..

Ozmods

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2003, 11:53:00 AM »

Yes that is the right Via..

XanTium

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2003, 01:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (Plagued @ Nov 9 2003, 10:35 PM)
... Anyway, I've used an old image of the MCPX to show the LFrame point a little better

High res pic

Quick word of warning, this is an image of a V1.1 main board, a 1.3+ would have slightly different markings such as 'R7E3' will be 'R7E4' but the components are in the same positions.

Thanks

I searched through my image archive and tried to find one with best resolution for an xbox v1.3+.
It's not as high res. as yours, but should be visible enough.
user posted image

Ozmods

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2003, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (3tlk @ Nov 9 2003, 10:16 PM)
all i can is, you people are SICK!!

LOL..Thanks..

Movation

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2003, 10:29:00 PM »

One problem I have found is all the Australian V1.4's I have come across 22-09-03 to 29-09-03 dont have the 2nd row of via points exposed.
user posted image

Ozmods

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2003, 01:13:00 AM »

The two Australian one's that i have done did..
and they have the same date as yours

Movation

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2003, 04:35:00 AM »

Check the photo. I have checked 3 beast packs xbox (1.4s), all have only 1 row of via points exposed.

SliderLT

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2003, 06:50:00 AM »

Does the alternate LFrame point on the MCPX trace out to a larger via or component?  Something which would be easier for the general population to solder or is not connect to anything?  In one pic it looks like it might connect to a larger componet, but I think its a 1.1 main board.

hippo

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2003, 07:24:00 AM »

Does the alternate LFrame point on the MCPX trace out to a larger via or component? Something which would be easier for the general population to solder or is not connect to anything? In one pic it looks like it might connect to a larger componet, but I think its a 1.1 main board.

On the older xboxes it goes to a via on the bottom of the board if you follow the trace back from the LPC port on the Lframe line. I like the internal via on top though with all the solder mask you are unlikely to mess anything up. On the ones I've done so far I didn't even use magnification except to scrape off the soldermask from the via.

datelo

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2003, 08:48:00 AM »

well, this fix will works with old PCBIOXX mods?   I have some pcs in stock around and will be so nice to fit with xbox 1.3 +

jester.gif

pimpkid

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2003, 09:57:00 AM »

Seems that basically any *flashable* LPC mod will work with this.  I have no 1.3+'s to practice on, but after messing around on a broken xbox mboard, I can say that this most definately isn't an easy task.  My main problem is being able to scrape off the solder mask without making it difficult to see the via properly.  The green "film" turns white when scratched, although when I dig deep enough the "gleam" of the metal via shines through.  Soldering from this point isn't difficult, but it seems that some kind of strong adhesive is necessary to ensure the wire won't come loose after soldered.

Moral of story: unless you mod a lot of xboxes and want to save your customer's some money (about $25-30 price diff between cheapmod and most commercial chips), don't bother with this.  

off topic: has any1 found a corresponding via under the solder mask that links to d0?  I have a broken xbox that might be resurrectable if I can find a place to link to.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8