xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!  (Read 558 times)

MaxT2000

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2003, 06:22:00 AM »

its about 20mm smile.gif

FaMiNe

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2003, 09:14:00 AM »

Well, since I haven't seen anybody else post on this point, I thought i'd post a little warning:

***WARNING***

When I soldered some 27awg wire onto this LFrame point, it would barely stay on (as the parent in this forum has stated), so as per his instructions, I used a bit of super glue to keep it still.

This would have worked fine, but first I used a bit too much glue (one regular sized drop is too much, for a wire/point that small) and when the glue dried, it contracted and moved the wire a little bit out of position, breaking the connection, screwing my entire effort. So, I was just going to give up and install an X2.3 or something, but I set my shoulders and went at it again, scraping the glue off, and resoldered the point, and used much less glue this time. Hooray, it worked after a few hours to let the glue set!.

But, then the xbox started overheating after 20-30min of operation. I can only assume the MCP-X chip is overheating due to the glue insulating it a bit. (I taped a wire to the MCP-X once on my first mod job like one of the installation pics suggests, and it was overheating because of that too).

Anyway, I used some thermal epoxy and glued a passive heatsink on the MCP-X to cool it a bit, and has worked like a charm since.

So, moral of the story is - the MCPx chips sometimes overheat and fry without any help (even stock xboxen, check elsewhere in the forums for more info) so be kind to the MCP! Put a heatsink on that mofo!

Death2013

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2003, 09:06:00 AM »

owk i modded some x-boxes now with this method and i have to say it works like a charm. but a few day's ago i got a v1.4 box and i installed the cheapmod and stuff.
When i turned that box on it booted with the modchip so, nice.i put some glue on the wires so they don't become loose. (i alway's first test it if it works and then glue the whole thing.. ). so i replace the screw's..  try the box again.. BAM. Green/Red flashing light.. damnit..  i recheck every connection but it coudn't find anything wrong.. i really dunno what can be wrong.... So i ordered a Alladin Chip and install it.. .. well this chip won't do a thing it won't boot either not even in the orginal bios.. damnit.. seems that this x-box is unmoddable.  dry.gif

jm_007

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2003, 09:30:00 AM »

opps. ignore this.

jm_007

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2003, 09:32:00 AM »

QUOTE (networkBoy @ Nov 11 2003, 05:09 AM)
QUOTE (krawhitham @ Nov 8 2003, 08:24 PM)
QUOTE (jm_007 @ Nov 8 2003, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (networkBoy @ Nov 7 2003, 03:18 PM)
QUOTE (littlejonny @ Nov 7 2003, 10:01 AM)
ps, this does require a soldering god, if you cant solder a v3 ps2 without trouble, then dont try this at home.

I solder stuff like this for a living. . .
Not only does it require a "soldering god" as you put it, it also requires a truely good iron, not some $5 piece of crap.
Expect to pay at least $200.00 for a decent iron (more like $400-600)
-nB

well so do i, and you certianly dont need a $200 iron for this rolleyes.gif  i work with surface mount components every hour that i work, and i use nothing more than a 50watt wellar iron - the most reliable irons around. And, concidering the boards and components i work with are worth ten times that of any xbox, i can tell you right now that your opinion is rediculous to say the least.

The better you are, the cheaper the Iron you can get away with.

but you can also look at it this way, if you are that good do you really want to be using junky irons

Thankyou.
I use a Metcal soldering iron, once you use one of these you'll never wanter to use a crappy cheapo ever again.  

Lets see a raise of hands who has soldered a 201 pitch SMT resistor by hand with a weller? muhaha.gif
-nB

well i will raise my hand then. I have also soldered fine-pitch i.c's with my wellar. Don't you realise you can get different tips for them?rolleyes.gif

do you work with surface mount for a living?

networkBoy

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2003, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (jm_007 @ Nov 22 2003, 07:32 PM)

well i will raise my hand then. I have also soldered fine-pitch i.c's with my wellar. Don't you realise you can get different tips for them?rolleyes.gif

do you work with surface mount for a living?

Yes I work with SMT, CSP-BGA all day long.
The point is that I have never seen a Wellar that does not have a long pencil handle that forces you to hold the iron about 5 inches from your work.  the Metcals and some of the Hakkos allow you to hold the iron less than an inch away from the tip.  You get much finer control over your rework that way.  
Besides I will go so far to say that a Wellar is a good iron, I just don't think that anybody new to soldering would stand a chance on the lframe mod with a cludgy large iron.
-nB

Evil Ryu

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2003, 09:47:00 PM »

Just to clarify,...  we simply connect the LFrame connection to 3.3v?

vmehta211

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2003, 10:37:00 PM »

No, I do not think you connect the lframe from the mcpx to 3.3v.  I think you connect the lframe via to the lframe signal of the sst49lf020 chip.  The 3.3v node on the pictures is for another pin of the cheapmod chip.  This is because on (some) newer xboxes the 3.3v connection on the lpc is disconnected.  I believe my answer is accurate but if someone can confirm it that would be great.

Also, I have made a post on this forum dealing with using a conductive pen and if anyone could help me out by reading my post and responding to it, that would be very helpful.

san-jose-installer

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2003, 07:38:00 PM »

Hey All, vmehta211 and I just completed the Tight Mod. It works great. Here are some details

We used a 1.3 Box

We wired the chip just as the diagram said

We took an x-acto knife and gently scraped away the Lframe

I then used a 8.99 soldering iron that I bought at radio shack the 15 Watt Pen soldering iron. I dabbed a bit of flux on the scraped away Lframe and tinned the wire. I then hooked the wire to the lpc point.

booted DONE

a94cobra

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2003, 04:19:00 PM »

Anyone get this to work with a Matrix mod chip?  I am having troubles.

Pfk

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2003, 11:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (Movation @ Nov 11 2003, 12:25 AM)
Problem solved there are 2 V1.4 Xboxes
Both Have Focus encoder
Both Have live GND & 3.3V on the LPC bus
but have MCPX chips are quite different
FB9981.1 0332D1 made in Taiwan (no visable L-Frame) Man. date 26-09-03
FC1357.1 0335d1 made in Korea (Visable L-Frame) Man. date 28-09-03

Could this be a  V1.6 or at least a 1.4b
user posted image
user posted image

I too have a taiwan version where the Lframe is not visible sad.gif

Has anyone managed to get one of these working with a different via or by other means?

MastaChef

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2003, 08:15:00 PM »

just a short question...

lframe via goes to pin 7 on x2 (light blue wire)
3.3v to wire 2 (brown wire)
those i am pretty sure about but correct me if im wrong... this is my real question

d0/wire 9 and ground/wire 10 both go to ground? or do you connect d0 on the mobo to wire 9 and ground to wire 10 as it is in a v1.0-v1.2?
also are there any other modifications to allow me to use my x2pro?
sorry if these questions where asked b4 i tried to read the whole thread

thanks
MastaChef

MastaChef

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2003, 05:34:00 PM »

i did the mod using alternate LFRAME and now it shuts of and on twice than frag with mod on... mod off and it works fine
what could be the problem? bad solider point?

MastaChef

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2003, 08:45:00 PM »

ok after 30 minutes of sanding i got the super glue off and resoldered it and the same thing!
i am SURE it is on that via... i have resoldered it 4 times just to be sure same thing every time! sad.gif
i tried both m7 bios and xecuter 4977.06 and 4977.67 with no luck
what am i doing wrong!?!?

MastaChef

• Archived User
Cheapmod+1.3 = Solved!
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2003, 09:14:00 PM »

sorry that is 4979.06 and 4979.67 not 4977
im gonna go take a pic and post it to make sure all my solder points are correct
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8