xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Last Ditch Resort To Fixing Rrod - After X-clamp Mod (  (Read 1661 times)

svincent

• Archived User
Last Ditch Resort To Fixing Rrod - After X-clamp Mod (
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

yeah, i'm alredy using 3 wahers + shim...

even at more heat, at wot stage do i remove it from the heat..

Cheer - SV

Cobb2003

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2007, 02:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(svincent @ Nov 18 2007, 06:00 AM) View Post

Cheer - SV

i would suggest you try http://www.instructa...-Soldering-BGA/
it sems to be a better way in some sense to try baking as its got the exact timing and temperature

Skinleech

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »

Well, I got the 3rrod a few weeks back, and fixed it with the X-clamp replacement & shim (using AS5) which worked.  For a few mroe weeks - it died again giving me the 3rrod again and hasn't worked since.

So, I figured, what the hell, I'll give this a try, and pre-heated the oven to 230.  Dropped the motherboard in on a baking tray (but still in the metal casing, as I was too lazy to undo my machine bolts) for ~17 minutes and let it cool over night.

Tried it today, and it seems to be totally fine.  I'd been experiencing freezes right at the start of Bioshock, and they've gone away.  The only issue was the heat has melted to blue buttons for the sync control abnd eject control, so no contact is made.  They'll be easy to fix & I'll be able to give it a good playtest soon.

adrenaline_wave

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(svincent @ Nov 17 2007, 10:00 PM) View Post

Cheer - SV

I took mine out when i heard and saw the caps leaking... Maybe let it sit at 450 for a total of 15 minutes?

Or try 400 for 10 (prewarming stage) and then 450 for 10 minutes or as long as you can bare it smile.gif

I have a lead on another 50$ 360 that i might pick up just to try it out with out doing the x-clamp mod first.

I need the power cables and hd cables anyhow and that is worth 50$ to me ...

QUOTE(Skinleech @ Nov 19 2007, 08:33 AM) View Post

Well, I got the 3rrod a few weeks back, and fixed it with the X-clamp replacement & shim (using AS5) which worked.  For a few mroe weeks - it died again giving me the 3rrod again and hasn't worked since.

So, I figured, what the hell, I'll give this a try, and pre-heated the oven to 230.  Dropped the motherboard in on a baking tray (but still in the metal casing, as I was too lazy to undo my machine bolts) for ~17 minutes and let it cool over night.

Tried it today, and it seems to be totally fine.  I'd been experiencing freezes right at the start of Bioshock, and they've gone away.  The only issue was the heat has melted to blue buttons for the sync control abnd eject control, so no contact is made.  They'll be easy to fix & I'll be able to give it a good playtest soon.

WICKED! Shitty about the buttons tho.. that really sucks.. I wonder if that had to do with the case still being attached? I can't see how it would..

I'm not so sure about the case and i didn't want it to warp or distort so that is why I took it out.. I also thought direct heat to the bottom of the MOBO may be needed.

Mine froze up on me the first couple of times I played after baking it but it's been fine since.. I did all the cooling mods too (fan shroud plus carboard over gpu heat sync)

We will wait and see how yours turns out.

svincent

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »

Funny thing, i turned the 360 on again yesterday and it worked...  I was able to play Tomb Raider for about an hour but then it sh@t itself again,  but that is the longest I've been able to play in a long time.  tongue.gif

I think i will give it another go when i get a chance @ 230oC (450oF) for approx 15mins... muhaha.gif

adrenaline_wave

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(svincent @ Nov 19 2007, 06:19 PM) View Post

Funny thing, i turned the 360 on again yesterday and it worked...  I was able to play Tomb Raider for about an hour but then it sh@t itself again,  but that is the longest I've been able to play in a long time.  tongue.gif

I think i will give it another go when i get a chance @ 230oC (450oF) for approx 15mins... muhaha.gif

Check to see if the bolts losened  because mine had after baking it the first time

Skinleech

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 01:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(adrenaline_wave @ Nov 19 2007, 04:57 PM) View Post

WICKED! Shitty about the buttons tho.. that really sucks.. I wonder if that had to do with the case still being attached? I can't see how it would..

I'm not so sure about the case and i didn't want it to warp or distort so that is why I took it out.. I also thought direct heat to the bottom of the MOBO may be needed.

Mine froze up on me the first couple of times I played after baking it but it's been fine since.. I did all the cooling mods too (fan shroud plus carboard over gpu heat sync)

We will wait and see how yours turns out.

No idea - maybe so, as the excess heat of the case would radiate out to the buttons and affect them.  I took my x-clamps apart to have a closer look, and it totally melted the buttons - they were like miniature hills.

So, I scraped the remains away, leaving just the contacts at teh back, so with the aid of a screwdriver I can now eject the drive.  My plan is to extend the eject & synch buttons so they'll provide contact.

I played a wee bit of Assassin's Creed last night, a wee bit more of Bioshock & some GH2 with no problems.

kuken101

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »

Ive had my eyes on this post for a while. Im trying it tonight, tried all other fixes.
Going for 230c in 15-17 minutes with the metal casing still on. Ill post later, if its a success or not.
Im getting a new 360 tomorrow anyways. Might as well try it since i still want to play backups.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by kuken101: Nov 20 2007, 05:08 PM

kuken101

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »

Its working perfectly, I let it run in dash for like 20 minutes, now im playing Guitar hero. Hope it lasts a while smile.gif
I did 14 minutes in 230C. With metal casing, the buttons melted but its easy getting the dvd tray open using a nickle or something smile.gif

charles648

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »

Ok, that's it!! I tried 10 minutes at 425F this morning and I just turned it on... 3RLOD!!! DAMN! I was a little worried about going the 15 minutes.. The fumes were giving me a good buzz.. My wife would freak out if I did it again today since she will be home from work... Oh well, 15 minutes tomorrow I guess.

Folks - 10 minutes - not enough time!!!   WTF?? Will this actually work?? I can't wait for tommorow.. Thanksgiving is in too days! Am I going to mess up the stove? Will I be shot?

Good luck everyone!!! blink.gif

Whoops - Forgot to ask if it will be OK if you leave the heatsinks OFF and just put it straigh into the oven on a cooling rack like for cookies that sit on after they are done.. I did the RMK III trick where I have to take the screws out of the metal base to release the MOBO and then I placed the heatsinks on the MOBO with M5 screws and nuts... Pain in the ass..

360newbieboy

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(charles648 @ Nov 20 2007, 08:56 PM) View Post

Whoops - Forgot to ask if it will be OK if you leave the heatsinks OFF and just put it straigh into the oven on a cooling rack like for cookies that sit on after they are done.. I did the RMK III trick where I have to take the screws out of the metal base to release the MOBO and then I placed the heatsinks on the MOBO with M5 screws and nuts... Pain in the ass..

I think the idea is the bolts on the x clamp hold the board nice and flat, which aids in re-flowing the solder so you want to leave them on me thinks!

adrenaline_wave

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(360newbieboy @ Nov 20 2007, 04:13 PM) *

I think the idea is the bolts on the x clamp hold the board nice and flat, which aids in re-flowing the solder so you want to leave them on me thinks!

Aight if 10 minutes at 450 is not enough (still 3 rrod) I would go back to my original post and follow exactly what I did.

NO, don't do it with out the heat sync on. You want the heat to transfer through the heat sync then into the chip into the solder balls underneath the gpu. The heatsync (with x-clamp mod) pulls the chips down against the Motherboard. This  is what needs to happen.  I don't really think you need the m5 bolts through the case. I'm running mine with the bolts only through the MOtherboard... The heat syncs stay hot after you take it out the oven..

TAKE IT OUT OF THE CASE!

What buttons are you melting? I haven't melted ANYTHING yet in either of mine.

Either my oven temperature reading is off (likely) or you guys are doing something different.

Remeber : I first did 400 for 10 minutes then 10 at 450 (turned up the temp with the board still in the oven)

Not it doesn't screw up your oven (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mine totatlly dead 360 that I wrote about initially is still going strong. Very strong at 1080p playing halo, GOW, NFS Carbon.  I'm 3 weeks in exactly today. Playing every night tryign to get it to crash.

Can you post pictures of your melted buttons?

So so far one person has had success? Did you do the cooling mods as well?

kuken101

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »

Damn, forums are slow today.

This is exactly what i did to get mine running.

1. Pre-heated the oven to aprox 230C (446f)
2. Removed fans etc, but letting the metal casing and heat sinks to be on.
3. Waited for 14-15minutes until i couldnt bare any longer cause of the fumes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
4. I put it on the stove to let it cool down.
5. Tightened the screws like 1/4.

The two small blue buttons for dvd and sync thing melted. It has to do with the metal casing being
on.

The cooling mods ive got is the thing where u split the air flow using a piece of cardboard.
And i allso attached fans to both gpu and cpu heatsink and let the dvd hang out of the box.

First off, i let it idle in dash for like 20 minutes like adranaline_wave said and then i booted up
guitar hero, i played it for almost 4 hours straight without any problems.

Thats what i call a success. The reason for letting the casing to be on was that i did rbj's xclamp replacement.
Didnt wanna mess with that.

Anyways, photos in a an hour or so.

This post has been edited by kuken101: Nov 21 2007, 06:35 PM

adrenaline_wave

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »

Good JOB!

Don't get too excited yet. My first baking attempt at 350/400 lasted a day and then went back to RROD.  I bet it works but don't get too excited as I did... This way you avoid being sad if it breaks.

That is why I upped the heat the second round. I didn't think it would work the first round but I wanted to make sure I didn't need all the heat before baking the board.

Since there has been several people melting their buttons I suggest that ANYONE trying this in the future follow my setup exactly. I removed the board from the case and mounted the heat syncs to the board, not to the case.   I don't have any melted buttons and both machines are purring away smile.gif

You didn't mention which setup you use for the x-clamp. Did you use three washers and shim between motherboard and gpu heatsync? Or only two? I believe the two washer method is what led to my e74 error.

Keep me updated on your 360...

If yours continues to work I will make a tutorial for this.

charles648

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »

I used the MKIII RBJ method for the X-Clamps. The heatsinks have to be screwed through the metal case in order for them to be in proper place. When I cooked my 360 for the 10 minutes, I had just done up the heatsinks with the screws, 2 washers - no shim, and nuts. They were on there good, no wiggling, and then I fired it up for the 10 minutes.. I was getting very buzzed and worried that's why I didn't turn it up to 450 for the last 10 minutes. The whole house smelled and my wife was coming home from work... I'm waiting until after Thanksgiving to do the final 10 and 10... I'm thinking of just buying a new 360 and then just returning my old one in the new case.. Anybody try this method yet?? Called the "Swap the BOX" with an idiot working at Meijers or Target?? dry.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9