xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Last Ditch Resort To Fixing Rrod - After X-clamp Mod (  (Read 1665 times)

chickenmon

• Archived User
Last Ditch Resort To Fixing Rrod - After X-clamp Mod (
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »

Last bake failed again but I was able to play and complete GTA4 35 something hours.  I fixed it again today with a blowtorch just heated the gpu heatsink up for a couple seconds and heated the underside of the board with a couple swipping passes till i could see the solder turn shiny.  Obviously I dont care about this 360 anymore but Ill let you know if it breaks again.

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »

Using a heatgun will also reflow the solder but in addition you can direct the heat to the problem area only.
Check out a tutorial that I made it shows how to isolate the components that easily get damaged by the heat(like melting/blowing caps) this will save you some time replacing blown up caps.
If you have a heatgun first go for that before doing the oventrick...
Here is the link http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=651407

evolution 2k8

• Archived User
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »

well this isnt good tryed it and still got the rrod but i took the heat sinks off and a now its gone to 2 rrod also no one told me it would melt the plastic buttins for eject and contrller sync so now with out the heat sinks i have go a office fan cooling them down
but still havent tried i will give ten mins till i can be arsed to turn on and see also do you think if i get thermal paste and do the x-clap trick it will do better

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2008, 04:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(evolution 2k8 @ May 25 2008, 07:41 AM) View Post

ok i did your trick havent tried it yet still cooling down but i have two pictures for you to view of the mb in the oven at gas mark 4=350f
http://i280.photobuc...24/DSC00137.jpg

http://i280.photobuc...24/DSC00138.jpg

ah mate you have to  take the heatsinks off otherwise the pressure will flatten the solder balls under the CPU/GPU to a big plate and you will have to reball both to get it working again. You got really lucky because you only heated it up to 350°F, the metling point of the solder is 424°F....
If you really want to reflow it then you have to set the oven up for at least 430°F but as I said make sure you isolate it properly then...

luminous

• Archived User
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »

Well thats my 360 died again,despite a few months reprieve with the oven.Have 2 others here from mates stone dead tried everything heatgun/oven 3 times grr unreliable crap dry.gif.
So i have to buy a new one,is these new arcades best ones to go for? (with falcon mobo)

e74-s***

• Archived User
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »

hi guys new member after a while 10 mounths later  my xbox came up with e74 code did the overheating trick with the towel an it worked for a week then it returned again an again an again so i started to look for answers as ms wanted to charge me for the repair as it was only one red light donno how they figured that but anyway i read up this post an after a week of messing around with the xbox replace compound clean it check all the parts it just kept coming up so i decided it was time to cook my xbox warmed the oven too 240 c it took about five minutes an then the capacitors  started to sizzle only one of them so i took it out an left it to cool half an hour later im playing on my xbox playing cod 4 for about two to three hours plus its been on all day an working fine i guess the joints were dry an the heat melted them back into to place microsoft really need to support the comunity more i dont how they can think they can charge us for a fault with there console thanks for the help i beat ms with an oven yay go me pmsl lmao !! jester.gif   tongue.gif

Tribes11

• Archived User
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »

Well, i'm going to try this, i got the error 0002, it seems to be something related to CPU or Network Interface Problem, this is the last thing i'm going to do, I just want it to work until christmas when I will buy another XBOX 360... oh and by the way, i'm not with X-Clamp mod, and I don't think if I do this before baking will fix my problem, since the console doesn't even START (not even the coolers, and the console will not heat up since it doesn't generate heat) so speaking frankly I will do this baking method without x-clamp and on a XBOX 360 with error 0002 (previously it was 0102, and I have tried everything since one day it come out with this 0002 error) so this is my last attempt on this console, since I've got nothing to lose i'm going to try this on a toaster oven...

Wish me luck, and if it works I come here to say: HEY IT WORKS THANKS A LOT!!!11!11!11!1ELEVEN11!

laugh.gif

adrenaline_X

• Archived User
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(Tribes11 @ Oct 3 2008, 04:21 PM) View Post

Well, i'm going to try this, i got the error 0002, it seems to be something related to CPU or Network Interface Problem, this is the last thing i'm going to do, I just want it to work until christmas when I will buy another XBOX 360... oh and by the way, i'm not with X-Clamp mod, and I don't think if I do this before baking will fix my problem, since the console doesn't even START (not even the coolers, and the console will not heat up since it doesn't generate heat) so speaking frankly I will do this baking method without x-clamp and on a XBOX 360 with error 0002 (previously it was 0102, and I have tried everything since one day it come out with this 0002 error) so this is my last attempt on this console, since I've got nothing to lose i'm going to try this on a toaster oven...

Wish me luck, and if it works I come here to say: HEY IT WORKS THANKS A LOT!!!11!11!11!1ELEVEN11!

laugh.gif

Well I'll be darned smile.gif I had no idea this thread was still going.

I bought an arcade after my last oven attempt..  Seeing as I was drunk when I did it the last oven attempt, probably didn't help the situation.

I'm about to try it again with two dead ones that I have now.

Glad to see my idea helped a few people out. I will be using tin foil this time.

adrenaline_X

• Archived User
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ May 24 2008, 09:14 PM) View Post

Using a heatgun will also reflow the solder but in addition you can direct the heat to the problem area only.
Check out a tutorial that I made it shows how to isolate the components that easily get damaged by the heat(like melting/blowing caps) this will save you some time replacing blown up caps.
If you have a heatgun first go for that before doing the oventrick...
Here is the link http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=651407

I disagree with your post.

Heating only a small portion of the board is a bad idea.. I did alot of reading before i came up with this wacked idea... In order to re-ball anything, you must bring up the temperature of the board that you are working on close to the melting point of the solder. Simply applying heat to the chip is not going to do it.. The heat will be transferred to the board and dissipate the heat that you are trying to use to re-flow the solder..

The heat gun is going to make a mess.

If can heat the motherboard to 450 and then apply 475 f to the chip itself then that is much closer to the BGA chip application.

A heat gun is bunk but may be worth trying before this.

That being said.. I took a completely dead 360 (x-clamp replacement, x-clamp replacement  with shims, x-clamp overheating all finally failed)  and made it work again for about 4 hours a day for well over a month.

I'm going to start testing my oven theory again now that i have two dead 360s.. I have my falcon arcade as my main console but need the 2nd and third for media extenders smile.gif

Tribes11

• Archived User
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(adrenaline_X @ Oct 6 2008, 06:19 PM) View Post

Well I'll be darned smile.gif I had no idea this thread was still going.

I bought an arcade after my last oven attempt..  Seeing as I was drunk when I did it the last oven attempt, probably didn't help the situation.

I'm about to try it again with two dead ones that I have now.

Glad to see my idea helped a few people out. I will be using tin foil this time.

Hum, i've tried it on a Toaster Oven as I've said, but I think it don't have the heat necessary to do some melt on solders... well now i'm going to try on a Oven (yes on a oven powered by gas, the same we use here to bake cakes and pies, maybe it will work? What you guys think? I don't know, I really want to play XBOX360 but it is not working anymore and I can't afford a new one RIGHT NOW... so i'll try this again... what you have to say for me? Should I try on my Oven since my toaster oven doesn't worked?

rxpc

• Archived User
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2008, 01:30:00 AM »

Until some one comes up with sure fire way of baking the board without destroying the MB components, this will always be a last resort method.

I have a couple of NON-baked MB's that I don't have keys for. Was saving them in case I needed any of the components off them. They were RROD boards and may already have missing components.

If your interested, PM me, I won't be taking components off the board,
I will only part with the whole MB.

Tribes11

• Archived User
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(Tribes11 @ Nov 21 2008, 01:04 PM) View Post

Hum, i've tried it on a Toaster Oven as I've said, but I think it don't have the heat necessary to do some melt on solders... well now i'm going to try on a Oven (yes on a oven powered by gas, the same we use here to bake cakes and pies, maybe it will work? What you guys think? I don't know, I really want to play XBOX360 but it is not working anymore and I can't afford a new one RIGHT NOW... so i'll try this again... what you have to say for me? Should I try on my Oven since my toaster oven doesn't worked?

LOl, tried again, baked it too much I guess... now it didn't even turn on... I've tried X-Clamp MOD to try to make it work again... no sucess... as you can see, my attempt didn't worked. Now i'll have to buy a new xbox 360... I will try a Arcade one cause i have HDD and stuff from my older premium... and now with the new Jasper board on arcades I will give it a chance... Hope it works...

Lugnut

• Archived User
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »

The way i have done the baking was presetting oven to 375, put mobo in for 10 minutes. open the door pull out the board, and hit the gpu with the heatgun ,  my heatgun does 1000F, I do it for very short period of time since i only need to raise the gpu's temp another 100 degrees or so.  This works but if you heatgun the gpu too long and you hear a crackle noise its all over.  you'll get an 0020 and bridge solder joints.  But eventually those systems finally failed again after a month or so.  So my next step was removing all the caps on the board. and all the connectors (some of them are a biotch to remove).  Then with no meltable components left on the mobo i just bake it to 500F open the oven door give one of the mosfets a light tap to see if the solder is liquified then gently nudge the gpu. Nothing on the bottom of the board ever falls off ( i leave it in the cage)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]