xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Last Ditch Resort To Fixing Rrod - After X-clamp Mod (  (Read 1668 times)

Pnt.sharma

• Archived User
Last Ditch Resort To Fixing Rrod - After X-clamp Mod (
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »

Guys can anyone please tell me that whether i can get the power , av , rf connectors from a pc hardware store also the sync and eject button.Plz help guys wanna check whether its working or not.Bless you all for the help.

Eddie_the_Hated

• Archived User
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »

You can't buy 360 proprietary parts from a PC store dude...  It seems you're the poster child for the phrase "attempt at your own risk". sleep.gif

sed1356

• Archived User
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »

Well I've got to admit, I didn't think that baking my Xbox 360 was a smart thing to do. I had my original xbox 360 that I got on launch day which RRODed on me. I've previously done the xclamp mod and got some more life from it, but the RROD came back again. After reading this thread, I though "what the hell", it's not working and it's collecting dust, the worst that can happen is that I have to explain to the wife why the kitchen smells of burnt electrics.

So I wrap most of the motherboard in foil to try and protect plastic bit and capacitors, and whack it in the oven for 15 minutes at 230C (about 450F). It smoked a little (only a very little) and some of the capacitors were bulging a little, no real damage. I had a hard time plugging the power cord back in again. It took a few attempts and a bit of force but it went in eventually.

Finally... the result? Well, much to my surprise it bloody well works. I'm impressed. It just seems wrong but I'm not complaining. I don't know how long it will last, but considering it wasn't working at all... every extra day is a bonus.

Thanks to all the pioneers who went before me.

Sed1356.

mk500

• Archived User
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »

Hello again fellow 360 bakers!

Well, mine gave up the ghost after 4.5 months. It had been working perfectly all this time. I happened to finally get some time to play Halo 3 solo game, so I was all the way to the last level when it froze on me. This is the first freeze since baking. After a reboot it froze again on the last level. I finally shut it down overnight.

Today I powered it up, and RROD. 4.5 months is not too shabby for a machine that I had tried everything else on. However, I want a working 360 again. I guess it's time to bake a second time. My worry is that the caps won't be able to take a second baking. I'll try to wrap them this time.

Can anyone who has replaced caps give me advice/part numbers? Should I go ahead and purchase replacement parts now, and just try to replace every one that looks damaged after the bake?

chickenmon

• Archived User
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »

Stupid 360..  

After doin the 12 penny trick and having that work for about 3 or 4 months I got the rrod then I did the xclamp and got about a month and the problems are back.  I did my own version of the baking today at 450f preheated  for 7 minutes with all caps and plastic wrapped in foil. I left the heatsinks on and baked upside down with the heatsinks facing the pan.   It smelled like like fresh solder or that new electronic smell you sometimes get when you open a new motherboard box kinda peppery but a good smell.  I pulled it out after the cheese was melted and let sit 5 min before serving.  Seriously pulled it out after 7 min and let it cool down about 15.  Plugged everything back  in and booted up first time and Ive been playing on it last couple hours with no problems.  Non of my caps swelled or busted or leaked they all look normal no plastic melted everything appears normal so maybe 10 min is to long.  I will update if it fails again.

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »

You shouldn't have left the heatsinks on...oh, and you shouldn't put your 360 in an oven either.

mk500

• Archived User
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(brandogg @ Apr 19 2008, 09:21 PM) View Post

You shouldn't have left the heatsinks on...oh, and you shouldn't put your 360 in an oven either.

I've baked 2 360's now. I strip it down to the motherboard, but DO leave the heatsyncs on.

SonicPower

• Archived User
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »

When you guys bake it, do I need a cookie sheet, or can the grill just be fine?

luminous

• Archived User
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »

Damn couldn`t edit post.
Despite wrapping blue plastic buttons in foil prior to toasting they`ve all still melted a bit and eject won`t work although sync does.
Is there a fix for this??? blink.gif  its a pity we don`t get option to eject disc when a game is in although if there is no disc  in drive it can eject.Thought of doing this manual eject is a pain.Would an xbox 360 remote work?
Cheers
Al

@sonicpower just use baking tray(cookie sheet you call it?).I`d be tempted to put in mobo on its own but with that heat i think things would fall off unsure.gif

cheezwiz789

• Archived User
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »

so... if I was going to try this crazy betty crocker trick, should I bake it right side up like almost everyone else, or upside down like chickenmon?

mk500

• Archived User
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(cheezwiz789 @ Apr 23 2008, 04:38 PM) View Post

so... if I was going to try this crazy betty crocker trick, should I bake it right side up like almost everyone else, or upside down like chickenmon?

I've done both of mine successfully right side up. I also used a cookie sheet with aluminum foil under where the motherboard actually sits (wrapped up around the edges of the cookie sheet to make sure it doesn't move. I also have NOT had any plastic pieces melt, even though I haven't wrapped anything in foil. See my first post for the timings/temps I used.

Biggest advice: make sure you do the larger bolt clamp fix first, and then 12v cooling also. Just baking won't permanently fix the overheating problem. I tried to go wimpy on my second bake and left the cooling alone, and it went right back to RROD. After fully modifying the cooling system as well, it works great.

cheezwiz789

• Archived User
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »

I'm working on a friend's box... so I'm gonna wait till I talk to him about it, then if he says its ok, I'll bake according to MK500's technique. I'll post back with the results.

luminous

• Archived User
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »

Ok idea here if i bought an official remote would eject tray when i want?
Answer would be great ta please

chickenmon

• Archived User
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »

Just a update still goin strong zero problems since baking.  Good idea thanks for sharing it with us.

luminous

• Archived User
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2008, 06:22:00 AM »

Yees got a preowned dvd remote for 3 quid and it ejects/closes tray anytime!.Nice fix for anyone whos melted eject button.Now i wonder if theres a remote that would activate sync as well(mine works ok tho)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9