xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Dvd Pot Calibration Tut V1.0 By Moda  (Read 1809 times)

Moda

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Dvd Pot Calibration Tut V1.0 By Moda
« on: June 04, 2006, 07:16:00 AM »

Ive made a tutorial for all those people having problems with their discs
  • Dirty Disc Errors
  • Games crashing half way through , due to reading problems
  • Discs sometimes loading, and sometimes not being recognised
  • the classic "OPEN TRAY" problem
  • and also glitching FMV or slow loading games (some games are just slow, its normal so be patient)
Please remember to test the disc on another console to ensure you have burnt it correctly. This is so you dont go and adjust the pot when its actually ok.

Download from the link below..

http://rapidshare.de/files/22184766/XBOX_3...y_Moda.pdf.html
X-Scene mirror: http://dwl.xbox-scene.com/tutorial/XBOX_36...1.0_by_Moda.pdf

I will release a much better looking tutorial with a guide on what media is good/bad , which brand dye to go for etc , this should be complete in the next few days. in the meantime if this tutorial is any benefit to you please post here.

also.. please let me know if there are mistakes in this tut so i can correct them ASAP

Thanks
Moda

This post has been edited by XanTium: Jun 19 2006, 02:06 AM

Andy Hewitt

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 07:52:00 AM »

Nice tutorial and easy to follow.

Hopefully I'll never need to use it, but its one for the achives just in case.

82ross

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »

Thanks moda. I was just thinking about looking into the sammys pot. You just saved me a some work. Appreciated mate.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »

Thanks moda. I'll probably try this out soon. Last night I played COD2 for 2 hours and then I couldn't get a backup to play at all for about 4 hours.

panosvo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »

DId anyone done it? Then post results!!!!!

stezo2k

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »

great guide smile.gif not going to do it though, i've tried this before on different drives and never had much luck. dont really want to ruin my 360 dvd drive

vnwiseman

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »

Great Tut, but too risky for me. Is there any other way to fix this except for pot calibration?

Moda

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »

the pot calibration is specifically to help against poor performing laser units, there are other ways, buy better media (always best thing to do, better media = less stress on laser = laser lasts longer)

burn at a slower speed = fewer write errors = better readability.

bear in mind, the lasers for the xbox 360 are cheap, in uk they are only £15 from mrmods. so if u burn it out, no problem!

meokman

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 02:39:00 AM »

just having a go now 10 30 am its set at 3.34 will let you know very soon wish me look thanks  well put it down too 3.01 puting it back togher now will let you know soon

This post has been edited by meokman: Jun 7 2006, 09:58 AM

meokman

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 03:05:00 AM »

have got 3 disks 1 of them comes up with region error the other 2 come up with open tray and after seting up laser to 3.01 with ritek dl disk still having same problem ahhh it could be bad disks but got from a sourse worth a try thanks anyway

werda

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 03:52:00 AM »

Hi!
Here is my findings.
I've got 3 different media: Ritek, Verbatim, Ricoh.
Ritek and Verbatim runs only once, when a box is cold.
Ricoh is better, but not perfect. Sometimes it says open tray, but not very often.
Original pot value is 4.4
The tutorial says try to change 100 ohm at once, but this is very little.
So i can change 200 ohm.
In 4.2, ricoh works perfectly, but ritek and verbatim just changed a little.
so go down to 4.0 and ritek and verbatim works like the ricoh in the original state.
This is good for me, i dont want to burn my drive.
AND I think RICOH is good media, for example TDK DVD+R DL is RICOH.

bye

Werda

meokman

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 04:17:00 AM »

FINNALY got it sorted playing ok now was just a setting on clone cd and disks working fine now cool 50 hours latter got it sorted yehhhh thanks for your help

vnwiseman

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »

Will calibrating the pot of the dvd drive changes the drive durability? Would it make it more likely to be mess up quicker or do people have not experience any problem? For Those out there that calibrated their Pot, and play the backup games for like 2 hrs and try changing the game, does it give an error? I'm just wondering before i do this because this is my first time.

panosvo

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »

I have just tried the Pot calibration.
Well my original setting was 4.26
My media are Verbatim,Traxdata and Ridisc(CMC MAG.D01)  , all media are 2.4X
Pot on 4.26 Verbatim read ok on cold boot , some time it gives "open tray" when change discs( have to turn of XBOX360 for 2-3 min, then it boots), Traxdata no boot, Ridisc only cold boot(with dvd already in XBOX360)

First i put the pot on 4.08, traxdata could read only on boot , Verbatim all the time and Ridisc most of the time.
Then i made it 3.90 here Verbatim and Ridisc boot all the time, traxdata only on boot.

Well i think now everything is much better, i am going to use Ridisc media(here in Greece 2.4 Euros) and not Verbatim(4.9 euros)

This post has been edited by panosvo: Jun 8 2006, 09:35 PM

Moda

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »

Ive been doing some more research into drives and getting all brands of dvd+r DL to boot.

ive come to the conclusion that if your dvd drive is set to 4.00k ohms or more from the factory you will have a far better chance of booting most brands of media without errors. (or maybe it is that HLG laser units are better made?)

i came to this conclusion after i had a TS drive which wouldnt play ritek dye or MCC dye regardless of how much i tweaked the pot. so i took a HLG drive and swapped the laser unit from within the drive (these can be swapped with any brand of drive)

original TS laser unit was set to 3.59k ohms (regardless of how much i tweak the pot it doesnt read ritek or MCC brand dye - pot tweak doesnt work)

swapped in HLG laser unit reads 4.15kohms (reads all brands of media i have thrown at it so far)

you can try this yourself, you just lift the screw from one of the guide rails of the laser unit and slide the unit out. swapp the guide arm around so it fits your drive (peice of plastic with a spring on it.)

I hope someone finds this information useful, please try it and let us all know if it works for you.

oh and one more thing, you can buy spare laser units for very cheap so if your having problems reading your media just buy a new unit from someone, they sell them on a popular modchip site in uk for 15 pounds. im not sure how much in $tate$

This post has been edited by Moda: Jun 10 2006, 01:09 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18