xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Dvd Pot Calibration Tut V1.0 By Moda  (Read 1808 times)

chuffy

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Dvd Pot Calibration Tut V1.0 By Moda
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 02:36:00 PM »

I had the booting once then not working till the xbox had been off for 1 hour thing, my drive was set to 3.8 i set it to 3.2 now itll boot everything perfectly , no errors no probs at all

THanks for the top fix its done the trick for me biggrin.gif

Moda

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »

hi guys sorry i havnt been replying:

just a quick reminder..

...the xbox 360 dvd drives are not the highest quality, they are cheapyly made and have weak lasers (especially the TS drives) like  said swap out the laser optical unit from another drive - preferably hitachi - and try that, you can buy new laser optical units for $30 usd, or 15GPB.. the pot tweak will NOT work on every single drive, some drives are pushed to their limits straight from the factory hence you will have much better luck buying a new optical unit and swapping it in, this only takes 2 minutes!

if only ASUS made the drives for the 360, it would read every disc thrown at it! tongue.gif

p.s. when i said laser optical unit i mean this..

IPB Image

hawke12

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »

smile.gif hey Moda, thx for the tutorial, I finally got my drive to play Originals again, I had to adjust it all the way to 2.48  to get it done though, won't even touch the back-up's still, but fortunatley i made a deal with someone to trade some stuff for a whole new drive. so Hopefully I'll get it worked out.  Thanks again.

panosvo

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 12:04:00 AM »

Moda do you think that the laser optical from mrmodchips is a better quaily from the one in the drive? Does the replacement need also pot calibration?

Moda

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2006, 12:39:00 AM »

panosvo

im not sure mate, best thing to do is email them for more details on the laser unit, ive not done this. would be nice if you could give it a try as i have no need for it, all my drives are working fine at the moment.

let us know how it goes.

panosvo

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »

If anyone has a Hitachi drive and flash it with the new firmware from Commodore4 "Hitachi drive seems to be less tolerant of dual layer media. Try a few times to boot a backup." try the pot calibration and post your results here...

AfGhAnGsTa

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2006, 08:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(panosvo @ Jun 14 2006, 11:43 PM) View Post

If anyone has a Hitachi drive and flash it with the new firmware from Commodore4 "Hitachi drive seems to be less tolerant of dual layer media. Try a few times to boot a backup." try the pot calibration and post your results here...

Same tutorial works for Hitachi? I might give it a go once I find a damn multimeter.

damageboy

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »

Hey Moda,
I've found the like you've provided for the replacement Optical Unit..:
Replacement Optical Unit
The question I have now, is how could I be sure that this optical unit is of better quality than the original I have?In other words, the page on mrmoodchips.co.uk says "A replacement laser for your worn out non disc reading Xbox 360 DVD Drive", it doesn't claim to be of better quality...

Any thoughts?
Again, thanks for all the time and enrgy you are putting into this..

Moda

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »

@damageboy,

like i said earlier, it would be hard for me to comment on that as i havnt bought a replacement laser unit from mrmods, so its better to email them directly and post here when you receive a response, i dont know if they are new or refurb lasers, who knows, only they do.

@ everyone

some more research...

1) backups burnt using liteon drives dont work for me at all, always get a dirty disc error, ive been using a pioneer dvr-109 drive and i cant find any DL media that doesnt work. so far the pioneer is burning discs perfectly. i have also tried an NEC-3550a cross flashed with 45XX firmware and the discs seem to be ok. oh yea ive been burning at 6x with no problems, obviously the slow the better, but since i have had no problems at 6x i dont see any reason to burn slow at this point.

so STAY AWAY from LITEON burners! you will just burn coasters.

vnwiseman

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »

Moda, what media have u try and which one works?  I have verbatim and that works fine, but i was wondering do cheaper media works. I bought a 20 pack of a media called PlayO. Have you tried this media yet. They are selling this for like 1.15/disc free shipping.

OEM

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2006, 05:51:00 AM »

Just a warning to Hitachi owners;
Listen to Moda when he says "DONT REDUCE THE POT TO LESS THAN 2.8K".

I didn't and I just killed the laser sad.gif
Now my XBOX is reduced to a CD player... It still reads CD's, but won't read any DVD media (games, movies, factory pressed or burned).

Fortunately there's a store near where I live that has replacement lasers in stock. They had two left and I bought both smile.gif  Hopefully it's not too tricky to replace the laser unit.

robivy64

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2006, 04:59:00 AM »

My xbox has given me disc reading issues from the day I got it, mostly in Oblivion. I would play anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours (max) before I would get the "Disc is Unreadable" error.

I followed this guide and adjusted my laser accordingly and although I still see the disc error, its usually after ~25-30 hours of straight gameplay. Thanks!

-R

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2006, 07:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(Moda @ Jun 15 2006, 10:14 PM) View Post

some more research...
1) backups burnt using liteon drives dont work for me at all, always get a dirty disc error, ive been using a pioneer dvr-109 drive and i cant find any DL media that doesnt work. so far the pioneer is burning discs perfectly. i have also tried an NEC-3550a cross flashed with 45XX firmware and the discs seem to be ok. oh yea ive been burning at 6x with no problems, obviously the slow the better, but since i have had no problems at 6x i dont see any reason to burn slow at this point.

so STAY AWAY from LITEON burners! you will just burn coasters.

I have the Samsung hack.

I also have an HP640c DL burner. I concluded the other night that my burner was dead (it's over a year old and has burned about 500 discs total including DVD-R's, CD-R's, and DVD DL's). It burned 7 coasters, one working, then another 5 coasters. So I went out the other morning and got a LiteON burner (can't remember model). So far I've only burned 2 discs, but both went without a hitch and work perfect.

KingGofG

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »

Tweaked a Hitachi down to 3.02

Still reads originals fine.

Backups (Memorex on a Sony Burner) still don't play (Dirty Disk Error)

Should I buy a Sammy drive and swap, or get a new burner and new media.   Seems like its pretty much cost neutral.  At this point I'm pretty good at taking the thing apart so time would be about the same (Would have to transfer over the key I guess, not sure how to do it but would be interesting.

On the one hand I could have 2 burners.  On the other hand, I could have a hitachi for ripping games.

hmmm.  Conflicted.

mack_t

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2006, 01:25:00 AM »

ok...i found my dad's multimeter...its one of the older ones (analog) but i dont know if it works nor i do know how to read it - total n00b.

this is what i see:

Pic
IPB Image
IPB Image

i set it at x1 - is that right? and how do i read this? the green reading is for resistance (ohms) but it starts at 3K to 0

anyone can help?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18