xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Dvd Pot Calibration Tut V1.0 By Moda  (Read 1807 times)

damageboy

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Dvd Pot Calibration Tut V1.0 By Moda
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 02:53:00 AM »

I'm having the same problem myself.
Tweaking the TS-H943 all the way down to 3.0k (following your excelent guide) doesn't seem to do any good.
Is there a way to take the/a laser unit from a different DVD-ROM unit and just replace it?

How would I be able to find which drives are compatible...?

Moda

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 04:24:00 AM »

read my previous post mate, all laser units from all consoles are the same, you just open up another drive regardless of if its a TS or HLG and take the laser unit out from one and swap it into another.

ive found pots that are above 4k from factory tend to be better at tweaking (theres more room for adjustment aswell) ive got 2 drives working with all dual layers this way so give it a try. its not hard.

damageboy

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 04:48:00 AM »

I read it, but since XBox 360 Consoles are very scarce where I live this isn't really an option.
That why I was asking if a laser unit could be taked out of a REGULAR (read PC) DVD-ROM Drive into the XBox, and if so, which types...

Wait, so now (as opposed to your tutorial) you are suggesting to tweak it to > 4k?

Moda

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2006, 05:04:00 AM »

ive never said tweak it to 4k, i said if you use a laser which was set at DEFAULT to over 4k then you will have better luck with reading the discs and tweaking it, as you have 500 to 1k ohms to tweak it, as opposed to 300 ohms on a drive which is set at 3.3k etc. (my guideline is tweak to 3k max)

feel free to experiment tho, if people dont try different things then we dnt come up with new answers.

and lastly, you cant swap a  normal pc laser unit as they are not designed for 360.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 06:22:00 AM »

My original setting was 3.54 games play for about 2 hours, can't swap discs or I won't be able to play anything for 2-3 hours, get "open tray" for hours.

Before adjusting I played FNR3 for 2 hours or so and then rebooted, got the "open tray" error.

Adjusted POT to 3.22, FNR3 booted once, then I rebooted and got "open tray". I was then unable to get FNR3 to boot again.

So I adjusted down to 3.04. FNR3 boots every time now, only about 5 minutes into the game I get "can't read disc, restart/clean disc" error. I haven't really tested all of my other backups, but FNR3 will not play more than 5 minutes without crashing. DOA4 I played for about 2 hours without problems though.

Overall I see an improvement on games booting, but it is a neusance for FNR3 to crash all the time. I will test more and adjust more if I see needed, but I can see a difference by doing this.

Thanks for the wonderful tut Moda!  smile.gif

Spies

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 06:25:00 AM »

Does the POT tweak make the backups spin at full speed or is that a seperate issue?

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 07:32:00 AM »

No, they still spin at the same slow speed (quiet). The POT calibration makes the laser use more power to read the disc, no sound/spin changes at all (that I've seen at least).

BTW, all of my backups are burnt to Verbatim DL's @2.4x.

This post has been edited by cerealkillajme: Jun 12 2006, 02:33 PM

hawke12

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »

Anyone Have a problem adjusting the pot, and getting the open tray or ' put this disc in a 360 console' errors, for every setting after including the original setting. this happens with ALL discs now Back-ups and originals.  All my DVD's and Music works fine.  any suggestions??  The lowest I went down was 3.20 my original was 4.15 and now its back to 4.15.    uhh.gif

garyopa

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(hawke12 @ Jun 12 2006, 05:52 PM) View Post

Anyone Have a problem adjusting the pot, and getting the open tray or ' put this disc in a 360 console' errors, for every setting after including the original setting. this happens with ALL discs now Back-ups and originals.  All my DVD's and Music works fine.  any suggestions??  The lowest I went down was 3.20 my original was 4.15 and now its back to 4.15.    uhh.gif

If all your 360 originals don't work. Your Drive is not flashed correctly with the right key,
always test your drive after flashing with an original before adjusting anything.

Flash it back with the backup (I hope you made one) you made, and test with an original again.

hawke12

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »

All Originals worked fine before hand. Some of my back-ups were tempermental, so I thought i'd give this a try.  I just got done reflashing back to original firmware, and all original games are still 'open tray'  but dvd movies work fine.   I'm stumped.

I would think that if I damaged something with the pot setting, nothing would work.

hawke12

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 05:23:00 PM »

This seriously Blows chunks  sad.gif

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »

I figured out my problem. My original disc also crashes in the same spot that my backup does. It appears I have a small scratch on the original (must not have noticed before I bought it used). I seem to be stuck on one guy in my career, but I can do "play now" and fight anybody and it doesn't crash.

I ran my backup of DOA4 and let that idle for about 30 minutes, then played it for 2 hours with no problems. Pulled DOA4 out and my backup of Kameo booted right up, I let that one idle for about 2 hours, then I played it for an hour, no problems at all.

Original pot = 3.54

New pot = 3.04

Works perfect, thanks Moda. This is exactly what I needed.  biggrin.gif

hawke12

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »

Ok, here is what has happened to mine now, I adjsuted it down to 2.91, now my originals of kameo and COD2 sometimes boot right away and sometimes i have to open and close the tray a couple times, PGR3 Original wont boot at all. And NO back-ups boot. I reflashed with original FW, same thing, I flashed back with Xtreme_proper.bin and same thing, also when I originally had the Hacked FW flashed and all back-ups worked, even the originals spun quiet. now the originals spin Loud again with the Hacked FW. Any ideas?
 uhh.gif

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »

Did you say at your original settings it still won't work?

Moda says something in his post about he had one or two TS drives that he could not get to work, no matter how much he tweaked the pot.

I would try to go back to the original pot setting and check originals, if originals boot fine then I'd start dropping the pot again and see if you can get the backups to read. Worst case if you can't get that TS drive working you should do what moda said and buy a laser from a Hitachi drive. $30 US doesn't sound bad when you compare that to only 1/2 of what a 360 game will cost to replace.

hawke12

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »

What error does a back-up give on Original FW???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18