xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Windows Vista Beta 2 Available for Public Download  (Read 591 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Windows Vista Beta 2 Available for Public Download
« on: June 08, 2006, 10:30:00 AM »

Windows Vista Beta 2 Available for Public Download-- Posted by XanTium on June 8 11:54 EST
Microsoft Windows Vista Beta 2 is now available for download from Vista's official site:

Windows Vista Beta 2 Customer Preview Program
Windows Vista Beta 2 is now available for you to install, test, and enjoy. Here's the information you need to try it now.

* Evaluate Your Current PC
Run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta to help get your PC ready for Windows Vista.
* System Requirements
We recommend that you consult the Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready PC specifications for system requirement guidance on running the core experiences and advanced features of Windows Vista.
* Get Windows Vista Beta 2
Windows Vista Beta 2 is available as a download or on DVD. It's time for clarity--try it now!
* Windows Vista Beta 2 Resource Center
Once you have installed Windows Vista Beta 2, be sure to visit the Resource Center to download the Windows Vista Product Guide, find anti-virus software for Beta 2, and discover more information that will help you get up and running quickly.

You can order the DVD or direct download (free) the 3.5 gigabytes (GB) for the 32-bit edition or 4.4 GB for the 64-bit edition (the download servers are overloaded at the moment, but it'll go better if you wait a bit).
Official Site: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default.mspx

TeaTime

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »

whats the 360 functionalty of the beta?  does the 360 even include vista stuff yet?

ZildjianKX

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(TeaTime @ Jun 8 2006, 06:13 AM) View Post

whats the 360 functionalty of the beta?  does the 360 even include vista stuff yet?

When I ran beta 2 last week, it recognized my 360, so it does come w/ media center functionality.  Of course that is before I formatted the drive since I hated Vista so much.

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 09:10:00 AM »

Yes, the media center should work with the 360.

monkeyflungpoo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »

Does anyone know if i can load up raid drivers in this version last beta i tried didn't work with my drivers. my DFI Ultra-SLI DR

ZildjianKX

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(splattered @ Jun 8 2006, 06:32 AM) View Post

Why do you hate Vista? Whats wrong with it?

Just curious...

Can i install this as an upgrade to my XP? Or do i have to reformat and all that stuff...?

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as a person who just hates it and doesn't back it up.

I liked it for the first 20 minutes, but then so many things just started to piss me off.

The GUI seems to be less intuitive, and it likes to hide things from you, or in some instances gives you too many buttons, etc.  I didn't like XP, but Vista makes me like it now.
A lot of programs I had (like non-triton AIM) wouldn't install, and then I couldn't remove them from add/remove programs even after it said it would.
Difficulties deleting shortcuts that the system had created (very weird permissions)
Very sluggish even on my new hardware
Very, very long install time (improved over XP though since it is prettier and requires all the information up front)
There seems to be search boxes everywhere, for no apparent reason

My biggest gripe is the GUI doesn't seem to be intuitive, and they just shove down your throat what they think you want to see.

xhatesocietyx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

I also was not impressed with vista... It seemed to run ok, But i crashed it many many times. Loading media center was sometimes freeze it. I am sure this is "beta" problems... But over all i was not impressed with anything new that it had to offer. I hogs resources too... XPMCE is fine for me, I see NO reason for myself to upgrade.

DoctorWho1945

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 10:15:00 AM »

lol cant down load this is what it says Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista Beta 2.

We are currently experiencing a high level of demand and cannot process your request at this time.

Please check back later for availability. We apologize for any inconvenience.

DoctorWho1945

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 10:33:00 AM »

hey bigjunk8669 im not mad about it i just think its funny that i cant download it lol

jtom617

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

well keep in mind everyone, you are talking about windows here....  laugh.gif my xp machines crash, THX god most do, its how i get my money. But i like vista, but of course it is a beta, but if M$ had their way, all their software would be a BETA, because it crashes and freezes oh so often..  tongue.gif

EDIT::::  i was hoping to see some of the 360 interaction with this beta, but of course i didnt see it. Because at E3 or around there, they were saying your gamescore can be earned from PC games with vista, and mobile phone games, ext. I was hopeing to see some of that.. I cant wait to see all the things they will do to interact all of the goodies. But i wil wait to see if what they do fails, im rooting for M$, because vista most likely will have alot of interaction with out xbox 360s. But again also, so will the Chips, Hacks, and other great things.. smile.gif cant wait to see!

ZildjianKX

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Aislin @ Jun 8 2006, 07:45 AM) View Post

It's a great OS with a lot of potential. Still 6 or 7 months until it's out.

Currently the Media Center Functionality is limited to the old fashioned "refreshing image" that you get on non-xbox-extenders. It looks pretty ugly up against the animations and stuff you're used to with MCE2005->360. They'll be fixing that up of course, but if that's all you wanted it for, you're better off with MCE for now.

Also, you really can't complain about programs that dont work or installers messing up or drivers not being compatible, it's a beta. Complain about other stuff, because none of those other things matter yet.

Can you elaborate a bit on what makes it a great OS?  Internally it is more secure with the kernel, etc, but that's about all I can think of.

Gohan5052

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »

Yeah i got it working last night. i have an amd systewm runing at 2 ghz and a gig of ram and it has trouble keeping up. i got extendfer working bu i think vista has some networking issues. first it dropped my wireless connection over and over. then i got that working but its not getting very good stats. im on a g network and my router is like 20-25 feet away.  so i should be gettin decent speeds

Im going to try to tewak it to run smoother later today when i get home qand i might end up using the ethernet cable. and il tell you how it goes.

also i am using a spare 80 gig hard drive with nothing on it but i hear that the vista installation can fragment the drive alone. so i will defrag ans see if it runs better

LivHard

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 11:19:00 AM »

Vista is Actually very nice to use smile.gif but its too crowded i think... Its TOOOO user friendly lol.. i thought windows Xp was pretty good.. this one is over done tho.. and other then you need a more then half decent computer to run this beast of an os

imagenius

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 12:11:00 PM »

I know everyone keeps saying oh its a beta dont be too hard on it etc, etc. And I dont want to be a MS basher or anything because I just use whatever gets the job done. But think about it -- it has been in beta for 5 years and they have over a 1 BILLION dollar R&D budget IIRC!!. I cant believe it is this unfinished and buggy after 5 years. It just doesnt make sense. Any other software house with a fraction of the budget would be miles ahead by now. If anyone has any insight as to why this would be, please I'm all ears.

EGOvoruhk

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 12:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(imagenius @ Jun 8 2006, 06:18 PM) View Post

I know everyone keeps saying oh its a beta dont be too hard on it etc, etc. And I dont want to be a MS basher or anything because I just use whatever gets the job done. But think about it -- it has been in beta for 5 years and they have over a 1 BILLION dollar R&D budget IIRC!!. I cant believe it is this unfinished and buggy after 5 years. It just doesnt make sense. Any other software house with a fraction of the budget would be miles ahead by now. If anyone has any insight as to why this would be, please I'm all ears.

Obviously it's not as easy as you make it out to be. Do you see hundreds of different OSes coming out all the time? You think if it was that easy, and people hated MS so much, that a bunch of new OSes (And by "new" I mean something other than another version of Linux) would have popped up by now
Pages: [1] 2 3 4