xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Windows Vista Beta 2 Available for Public Download  (Read 580 times)

juan_2006

• Archived User
Windows Vista Beta 2 Available for Public Download
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »

I think linux is a good alternative to old windows versions like 95 and lower, 98 is still useable, and also if you dont wanna buy a version of windows, or if your saving up for windows then linux is awesome. But if you can afford windows, if you like a simpler os, or if you are not an experienced computer user, if you want the os that most programs are made for, then get windows.

I personally like windows more than linux. But if i want speed i just reboot and put my live linux cd and go on linux. To me linux is way way faster than windows. But most programs are not compatible.

Im really looking forward to get vista, but first i gotta upgrade my ram to like 1g.

Lethal_NFS

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(vexamus @ Jun 8 2006, 10:20 PM) View Post

EDIT:

Here's the direct link to the 64 bit version:

http://download.wind...xFRE_EN_DVD.iso

Thanks alot man!

blame canada

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(LightningStruckMyXbox @ Jun 8 2006, 04:08 PM) View Post

My system is fully compatible with linux without any drivers to install (except the nvidia drivers)
GeForce7900GTX

you got your gtx to run in linux??!! ive got one as well, mind explaing how? If linux is as eas as you are saying it is, its time to wipe my xp partition CLEAN biggrin.gif Im definately shooting for the 64 bit version(A64 3200+ @ 3.0ghz cool.gif ) . Its actually very irronic becuase just today I pulled a gig of ram out of my system to see what diference it made in superpi, and when I booted to windows it asked me to activate. It still wont let me activate and I was booting up in diagnostic mode so theres no drivers for ethernet port whatsoever. Just my xp delema of the day. Cant wait to run xp(maybe)/vista/linux  pop.gif

btw, what distro are you running? I was planning on ubuntu live cd, maybe even as a dual-boot.

lilbplaya3406

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »

Been using the links u guys sent me, worked great 2 hours ago....But the download got corrupted so when i try to download it again it says acces denied.

alsybub

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(lilbplaya3406 @ Jun 8 2006, 10:28 PM) View Post

Been using the links u guys sent me, worked great 2 hours ago....But the download got corrupted so when i try to download it again it says acces denied.

http://download.wind...CFRE_EN_DVD.iso

Works fine if a little slow. Just use a download manager like Flashget. Max speeds are like 300KB/s.

Azin

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »

can some one post the BT of it.. cant get the site to let me download

lilbplaya3406

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »

Access denied.

Please go to http://www.windowsvi...etready/preview

Azin

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(lilbplaya3406 @ Jun 9 2006, 01:55 AM) View Post

Access denied.

Please go to http://www.windowsvi...etready/preview

get teh same thing and i'v been with M$ beta for a wile now.. never had problems like this

LightningStruckMyXbox

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2006, 06:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(blame canada @ Jun 8 2006, 03:58 PM) View Post

you got your gtx to run in linux??!! ive got one as well, mind explaing how? If linux is as eas as you are saying it is, its time to wipe my xp partition CLEAN biggrin.gif Im definately shooting for the 64 bit version(A64 3200+ @ 3.0ghz cool.gif ) . Its actually very irronic becuase just today I pulled a gig of ram out of my system to see what diference it made in superpi, and when I booted to windows it asked me to activate. It still wont let me activate and I was booting up in diagnostic mode so theres no drivers for ethernet port whatsoever. Just my xp delema of the day. Cant wait to run xp(maybe)/vista/linux  pop.gif

btw, what distro are you running? I was planning on ubuntu live cd, maybe even as a dual-boot.

First, linux is not as easy as you think. I have been using it the greater part of my life. The only thing that would be of some challenge is getting use to the shell prompt (or terminal as some call it).

I DEFINETLY would not get the 64bit version. The speed increase is minimal. And the hasle isn't worth it. All of the programs in linux are writen for 32bit and 64bit apps are few and far between.

I run Fedora Core 5 right now in my box. To get you GTX running in Fedora just issue these commands in the terminal as root (to become root issue the command "su -" without quotes and then enter the root users password)
CODE

rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm
rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

Then if you are using an smp kernel use:
CODE

yum install kmod-nvidia-smp

with a non smp kernel use:
CODE

yum install kmod-nvidia

Now save all open document and close all windows except the terminal and issue this command:
CODE

init 3

That will stop the x server.
Now you must start it again with:
CODE

startx

The new nvidia kernel modules will load with it.

blame canada

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »

thank you o so much. For now im going to tun xununtu, but if I change my mind ill definately switch to fedora core becuase it supports gtx's. btw, how did you manage to run windows games through linux? a windows emulator?

LightningStruckMyXbox

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(blame canada @ Jun 8 2006, 07:31 PM) View Post

thank you o so much. For now im going to tun xununtu, but if I change my mind ill definately switch to fedora core becuase it supports gtx's. btw, how did you manage to run windows games through linux? a windows emulator?

Yea i use Wine as an emulator.
Here's the main website:
http://www.winehq.com/

And here's a list of games that have been tested (unsuccessfully or sucessfully):
http://appdb.winehq....wse.php?catId=2

gonhunter

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »

Linux are for super geeks period
also why would you run windows applications on linux =_= thats like saying "i'm ma go play basketball using a bowling ball"

LightningStruckMyXbox

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2006, 10:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(gonhunter @ Jun 8 2006, 09:45 PM) View Post

Linux are for super geeks period
also why would you run windows applications on linux =_= thats like saying "i'm ma go play basketball using a bowling ball"

No It's like saying, "I'm gonna play my games in linux cause I can't afford to pay $100 bucks for an OS".

In my case it's the convience factor. I can use both. Get the best of both worlds.

psychogoblin

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2006, 03:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(xboxbox451 @ Jun 8 2006, 01:29 PM) View Post

You really think thats true? Heres a list of Linux viruses -->LINK, and I guarantee removing a virus in Linux aint gonna be as easy as Windows. The list may not be as long as Windows viruses, though Linux only has about 15% of the OS Market Share. If Linux ever became as popular as Windows the Virus threat would be just as great if not more.

God dude, you're a moron, if you actually read that page it's all jokes/sarcasm.

rasstar

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2006, 06:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(psychogoblin @ Jun 9 2006, 10:37 AM) View Post

God dude, you're a moron, if you actually read that page it's all jokes/sarcasm.

15% is too high. It's more like 3%
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4