xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Windows Vista Beta 2 Available for Public Download  (Read 582 times)

ilrandomheroil

• Archived User
Windows Vista Beta 2 Available for Public Download
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2006, 08:01:00 AM »

ok do u have to reformat your hdd when u install all this. like will it erase all my games/programs?
and will it not work if my prosessor is 533mhz?

balupton

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »

Why am i seeing Vista on a Xbox site? Anyone who would care for it, would of already seen it on another site.

AmyGrrl

• Recovered User
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2006, 08:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(balupton @ Jun 9 2006, 03:46 PM) View Post

Why am i seeing Vista on a Xbox site? Anyone who would care for it, would of already seen it on another site.

Several Reasons... they are both MS Products.... plus you can use the Media Center stuff on Vista with the XBOX and XBOX360.... I was glad to find out the new Windows Vista Beta 2 was available for free... gives me a chance to try it out before I buy it... or if I buy it for that matter....

photoman

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »

i for one only check out this site on a routine basis for xbox news, and am glad they posted the Vista news. because I wouldn't have known if it wasn't here

Spartan 195

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2006, 12:38:00 AM »

I just finished downloading the 64 bit version of the vista beta iso (I have a AMD64 FX-57). When I click "Setup.exe" on the DVD I burned it says "f:\setup.exe is not a valad Win32 application." I assume it's saying this because I'm currently running the 32-bit version of XP Pro. Any clue whats happening and what I can do? (I've tried booting from it but my computer pretty much freezes up when I try to boot from the DVD.

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »

People say open source will lead to more viruses and in the short run, I agree, but people dont really think of the bigger picture for some reason.

When Windows gets a virus, you have to wait forever and a day for MS to fix the problem, because they are the only ones with access to the source code that can fix the error in question. With linux, everyone can access the source code, and because of that, anyone can in theory fix the problem. I would imagine linux exploits would be patched up much faster than the same bug in windows

xboxbox451

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(yaazz @ Jun 10 2006, 11:11 AM) View Post

People say open source will lead to more viruses and in the short run, I agree, but people dont really think of the bigger picture for some reason.

When Windows gets a virus, you have to wait forever and a day for MS to fix the problem, because they are the only ones with access to the source code that can fix the error in question. With linux, everyone can access the source code, and because of that, anyone can in theory fix the problem. I would imagine linux exploits would be patched up much faster than the same bug in windows

There I must disagree. SpyAxe is one of the nastiest malware viruese you can get on a Windows system. The only person that came up with a good fix was a private dev on thier own time, which he made avaiable as a public download. So just cause its opensource doesnt mean just that community will always have a quick solution. Hang around a Windows forum and you'll see a good community wathing over the OS just as well as opensourcers.

photoman

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »

i can't even get Vista to install on my home built Asus P4. It installed fine fine on my POS eMachines  though. If you consider running in 4bit color mode @ 640x480 fine. ha!

on my Asus I keep getting STOP ERRORS and my machine crashes/reboots then MS tells me to update my video card drivers and turn off graphics acceloration. did that and still a no go.

woofis

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2006, 05:40:00 AM »

ok, well i just installed vista and let me say im not too happy. first off my aim doesnt work. second, nothing seems to work. i try to customize my desktop and when i hit ok nothing happens. it doesnt seem to good as of now. i will mess around with it and see how it goes.

geogriffin

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(rasstar @ Jun 9 2006, 06:03 AM) View Post

15% is too high. It's more like 3%

The linux desktop market share is 2.8%. Apple's desktop market share is 2.9%:
http://insight.zdnet...39118695,00.htm

For servers, it is about 28%:
http://www.alwayson-...d=P5013_0_6_0_C
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]