xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Rumour: Insider says MS Plans to Ban 1M Console  (Read 2741 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Rumour: Insider says MS Plans to Ban 1M Console
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 10 18:19 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From pinoycosplay.blogspot.com:

A conversation with a friend who works for a call center that handles an Xbox 360 account has yielded a disturbing truth: Microsoft has started its annual Xbox Live banning spree and it has disabled 600,000 accounts so far in the US and Canada.

The target of the banning spree are mainly people who have modified their consoles to play pirated games. My trusty source says that they have been given instructions to push for a million banned accounts by the time the holidays are over.

Note: This is just a rumour and there's no real way to check or confirm this kinda information. But it points out an interesting discussion, how many consoles do you think MS banned? The site claims 600k are banned already just in US and CA. If we know MS sold about 19M consoles in that region to-date it would mean they already banned about 3.16% of their user-base ...

News-Source: pinoycosplay.blogspot.com

Sunblood

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »

Not sure why it says 600k ACCOUNTS when it's probably 600k CONSOLES. There's a difference, and the credibility of this site is lacking in the first place.

haqtiq

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »

Not to be a dick, but I was born this way.. why dont 400k more people download that poisoned copy of MW2 and get this ban wave over ASAP!

To kill a huge number of the live customer base is crazy, but at the same time the logic is sound, and they ARE fighting the plague known as piracy. I can't say I like or dislike it, but I do know without a doubt that this is needed, more to make an example of people, and also reassurance for the legit customers.

So again.. make sure you log into live with the poisoned copy of MW2, get banned, save the rest of us.

You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet.

siyrobbo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »

i got banned.  Just ordered a new elite and im never going to mod my console again. For me the 360 is only half a console without live

DiscoveryX360

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »

holy shit lol

K1LLERHORNET

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »

Didn't realise there were 1M consoles on Live  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I'm not surprised they're dropping the ban hammer with full force.

This post has been edited by K1LLERHORNET: Nov 11 2009, 12:36 AM

Grim187

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »

More $

octo

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »

blame it on the goose!

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(Grim187 @ Nov 10 2009, 03:33 PM) View Post

More $

Yep exactly.

Narbo

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »

So they are pushing to ban up to ~3% of their worldwide installed console base?  

Ballsy move on the part of M$.  I suspect there is some deals behind the scene or M$ really wants to get the support of the DRM lovin' entertainment execs.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(haqtiq @ Nov 10 2009, 06:23 PM) View Post

Not to be a dick, but I was born this way.. why dont 400k more people download that poisoned copy of MW2 and get this ban wave over ASAP!

To kill a huge number of the live customer base is crazy, but at the same time the logic is sound, and they ARE fighting the plague known as piracy. I can't say I like or dislike it, but I do know without a doubt that this is needed, more to make an example of people, and also reassurance for the legit customers.

So again.. make sure you log into live with the poisoned copy of MW2, get banned, save the rest of us.

You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet.

This ban has little to do with MW2. Since they can now detect ALL backups then ANYONE playing backups will get hit by this ban before it is over.

MVPd

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »

Pretty epic number!

xpn

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »

OK, so I walked into work this morning and all day have had to listen to people comment on their xbox 360 being banned last night when loading up Modern Warfare 2. Everyone knew the risks of what they were doing when they modded their console. Many times I have heard the 'The Firmware is undetectable' comment from people and laughed.

The fact is, everyone knew the risks, and most people are indeed stealing by downloading games, reading forum comments about people 'backing up games to protect their original copy' is 99.99% bull (and the last few topics regarding banned xboxes have proved this!). Most people mod their console to play pirate games !

Yes games are overpriced, yes Microsoft makes a cheep product that breaks after a few years, and yes the PS3 and Wii gives away a free online service whereas you must pay for live.. but we all know that and we still stick with Microsoft (myself included).

You can't bitch and wine when your xbox is banned or even broke after you have had so many games for free.

rastaman108037

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Nov 10 2009, 06:41 PM) View Post

This ban has little to do with MW2. Since they can now detect ALL backups then ANYONE playing backups will get hit by this ban before it is over.

Also, he has some "holier than thou" notion that pirates are ruining our industry...or something. You can't pirate dlc or xbox live. They're just pining for more console sales. I'll switch to the PS3 if I'm banned again.

Though buying red ringed consoles for $40 and getting them repaired for free isn't too bad biggrin.gif

Also it's definitely not just Modern Warfare 2. Some people played a total of two games before getting banned and they were stealthed perfectly. Figured this out after most of the people on a private tracker were banned.

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »

damn this ain't funny no more. 1 million, where is that number from? Some blog?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16