xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Tutorial For "x" Clamp Replacement  (Read 3148 times)

bmdubya

• Archived User
Tutorial For "x" Clamp Replacement
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »

I just want to let everyone know that this fix works. I got the 3RLOD about two weeks ago. I left for vacation, came back and got the 3RLOD again. I was about to scrap it and save money for the Xbox 360 Elite when I found this tutorial. I tried it and it works. Now that I fixed it, I'm going to paint my 360 so it looks like the Elite though.

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »

I'm glad this tutorial is helping people out, its nice to give back - since Xbox Scene has given me much over the years. I just needed to add....when you do this tutorial, after replacing the "X" clamps - check to see if that took care of the 3RLOD. If it fixed it without overheating the board, no need to do that portion. wink.gif

SnufftheCrimeDog

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »

Ok, so my friend Xbox busted today....now Im scared (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)  I told him about the fix and hes exctied now, one thing he want's to know is if it necesarry to remove the heatsinks or if its ok to just replace the x-clamps with nuts and washers. I told him it was probably a good idea, but he wants to limit it to as many steps as possible and also if that is ok, would it be necessary to apply new thermal paste....Hes just being cheap he doesnt want to buy any (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by SnufftheCrimeDog: Mar 28 2007, 07:09 PM

peppelepugh

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »

so in a nutshell replace the clamps wtih the screws and washers and call it good? and get ride of those jank x clamp things?

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(SnufftheCrimeDog @ Mar 28 2007, 02:22 PM) View Post

one thing he want's to know is if it necesarry to remove the heatsinks or if its ok to just replace the x-clamps with nuts and washers.

Well, you have to remove them to get the portion of the heatsink that the "X" clamp hooks to. Remove that, and replace with the nuts & bolts. The new M5 bolt screws straight into the heatsinks.

moogster66

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »

i've been messing with this fix for a few days now, and finally got rid of the ring of death. some advice to anyone trying this the first time. make sure you look at the GPU heat sink after you tighten the screws. look at the clearance and make sure it is not touching any parts of the mobo, except of course the heat sink itself. it's possible too get it too close, and touch a couple of parts at the end of the sink. been there, done that. also, i was worried about the screws pushing up from below and flexing the board. the first set of screws i used were phillips, and the thickness of the head of the screw was pretty beefy. so i changed to hex heads because they were thinner. i got a little medevil on it and baked my mobo in the oven to flow the solder, then used arctic silver, etc. fired right up for the first time in weeks, without a towel. i am glad someone came up with a good tutorial for this fix, i had to do some trail and error to get mine going again. these forums are the best, hands down.

This post has been edited by moogster66: Mar 29 2007, 02:08 AM

SnufftheCrimeDog

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »

Alright were, about to crack it open, were having a real bear of a time opening up the case(external case), to get to the MB, we got the sides off with only breaking our backs minorly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif). Now we just removed the warranty sticker....bum bum bum!!!!, the guide on this site says start at the notches in the back, but it looks like it would be easier to start from the front(meaning were the disc drive is), now the whole point is to fix his xbox, but we like to do it without destroying the case completely (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

One thing we do wanna make sure is if we are gonna to put new thermal pasted on we do it right. Clean all thermal paste of die and heatsinks right? Now with the GPU there are two die on the chip, do we put a dab on both dies or just the larger one? and is only a dab right?

Besides that we should be good to go, will wait for the Xbox 360 gurus to answer those last final question, but besides that, alls we can do now is fix and pray.

This post has been edited by SnufftheCrimeDog: Mar 29 2007, 02:11 AM

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »

As far as thermal, read this and dont skimp

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=467045

To open, undo the clips on the front, then flip it over and push the plastic tabs in with an eyeglass screwdriver.  Its easy as pie.  Start at one end, pull up as you go so they dont click back into place.

With the thermal, put just a touch (rice sized peice) and smear it with a card.  Let it sit for a day before you power on the console.

Good luck!  smile.gif

peppelepugh

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »

i just wanted to thank everyone for the help and well i should know by wed. if i will have a working 360 again or not

thanks

SnufftheCrimeDog

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »

My friend xbox is now working too. This is deffinetly without a doubt the problem with the xbox 360s. He said he played fro 2 hours last night no problems. I let you guys know in a week or so if the xbox is still working this was awesome! What great news for people fretting about there broken xbox. I almost wanna go into my xbox even though it under warranty and remove those damn clamps!. I know probably not the best idea, but since it would prevent this I'm itching to perform the procedure. Also, this is deffinetely a problem that is cause by the heat produce by the GPU. I'm sure time could be a factor aswell, one thing I'm wondering is by constantly cooling the system with external cooler wouldn't help at all? That what Im currently doing right now I have the Intec Glow Stand, and whenever I play, and for abotu 30 minutes to and hour after Im done playing I leave it on to cool the system. I just wanna know if that will prevent at all, or not. If it trully won't help, I may just take the risk and remove the clamps.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(SnufftheCrimeDog @ Mar 30 2007, 11:30 AM) View Post

My friend xbox is now working too. This is deffinetly without a doubt the problem with the xbox 360s. He said he played fro 2 hours last night no problems. I let you guys know in a week or so if the xbox is still working this was awesome! What great news for people fretting about there broken xbox. I almost wanna go into my xbox even though it under warranty and remove those damn clamps!. I know probably not the best idea, but since it would prevent this I'm itching to perform the procedure. Also, this is deffinetely a problem that is cause by the heat produce by the GPU. I'm sure time could be a factor aswell, one thing I'm wondering is by constantly cooling the system with external cooler wouldn't help at all? That what Im currently doing right now I have the Intec Glow Stand, and whenever I play, and for abotu 30 minutes to and hour after Im done playing I leave it on to cool the system. I just wanna know if that will prevent at all, or not. If it trully won't help, I may just take the risk and remove the clamps.

running it after the system isnt a bad idea, but i don't think it will help much (it also will not hinder it remember).

personally, it would say if its under warranty, leave it alone. when the warranty expires, then do this

tdawg36

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 03:48:00 AM »

Just Did this fix last night, Hardest part for me was finding all the right parts at lowes smile.gif I could'nt get arctic silver 5 so had to settle for actic silver ceramique. Every thing went exactly to plan & no more red lights, also my system fans don't work half as hard as they used too. thanks alot for this fix it works great.

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »

Great to hear...., I know there are a couple of ways to do this - but we should start keeping track of how many fixes we actually get from the "X" clamp removal (regardless of method). I'm getting a Xbox360 I bought off E-bay with the 3RLOD (today or tomorrow I hope), and will see if this fix brings it back as well. Let you know.

RBJTech

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(lawdawg0931 @ Mar 30 2007, 02:17 PM) View Post

Great to hear...., I know there are a couple of ways to do this - but we should start keeping track of how many fixes we actually get from the "X" clamp removal (regardless of method). I'm getting a Xbox360 I bought off E-bay with the 3RLOD (today or tomorrow I hope), and will see if this fix brings it back as well. Let you know.

Agreed - sounds like we need a poll of some sort to keep track on this - it's looking promising but that could just be the sheer number of 3ROL's ... ohmy.gif

We also need a way to combine these threads - as I've seen a few now on the X clamps, I've done a full tutorial myself now (Here) but don't want to start another thread on it....

Good work everybody - lets keep out fingers crossed...

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(RBJTech @ Mar 31 2007, 12:57 AM) View Post

Agreed - sounds like we need a poll of some sort to keep track on this - it's looking promising but that could just be the sheer number of 3ROL's ... ohmy.gif

We also need a way to combine these threads - as I've seen a few now on the X clamps, I've done a full tutorial myself now (Here) but don't want to start another thread on it....

Good work everybody - lets keep out fingers crossed...

thats a good tut....well done. try submitting it to go on the main xbox-scene page.

and i think it would be good to have a poll to see how many people have tried this, and how many worked/didnt work
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20