xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Tutorial For "x" Clamp Replacement  (Read 3149 times)

SnufftheCrimeDog

• Archived User
Tutorial For "x" Clamp Replacement
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »

Sorry if this has been asked before, I know from experience the x clamp tutorials works for 0102 boards, but will it take care of 0020 as well? My friend is getting this error on his xbox 360, and since I've now fixed two 0102s with the x-clamp replacement he wants to know if I could possibly fix his with this method as well this according to this site, 0020 is a overheating error so, but basically again my question is can I fix and 0020 error with this method?

pimpmaul69

• Archived User
« Reply #286 on: April 20, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(SnufftheCrimeDog @ Apr 20 2007, 09:52 PM) View Post

Sorry if this has been asked before, I know from experience the x clamp tutorials works for 0102 boards, but will it take care of 0020 as well? My friend is getting this error on his xbox 360, and since I've now fixed two 0102s with the x-clamp replacement he wants to know if I could possibly fix his with this method as well this according to this site, 0020 is a overheating error so, but basically again my question is can I fix and 0020 error with this method?

after the heatgun...yes

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #287 on: April 20, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(pimpmaul69 @ Apr 21 2007, 06:51 AM) *

and i was pointing out that that video was completely a useless point.. i can make any board do that warping when suspended in air and applying 1000 degrees to it..

QUOTE(brywalker @ Apr 21 2007, 07:35 AM) *

That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Those chips never see over 110C. If they did, they would fail.

OF COURSE a 1000F will make the board bend. Throw a PC motherboard on there and it will do the same thing.

Lets establish some facts here. I made that video and I have no idea where you guys are pulling this '1000 degree' figure from??? The temperature never exceeded 200 degrees centergrade. Do you see the red-hot reflection of the heatgun in the mirrored core? No, because the gun never got hot enough!

I experiemented on an old PC motherboard before proceeding to do the heatgun fix (which is what that video was orginally intended to document) and it did not react the same way as the 360 mobo, it remained flat.

Of course that video shows dramatic sagging in the center because there is no support and of course it shows more movement than what would occur to a normally functioning board, but that is only for illustrative purposes. Its replicatable, try it and draw your own conclusions. The point is, it only takes a fraction of movement each way with thermal cycling and before you know it, you've stressed the joints to breaking point.

The question needs to be asked, despite having the flimsy x-clamps, the poor mounting, and the excessive heat, would the BGA's still be compromised if the board never changed shape in the first place? I think the answer is 'No'.

I think you'll find that although mounting the boards without the X-clamps will help keep contact in the vital areas, the outer parts of the board will still be free to flex. Thats not neccesarily going to mean failure, but it does suggest that the root problem is the board itself and its ability to resist the environment it is subjected to.

PS: I'm in no way dismissing the replacement of the x-clamps because I think under the curcumstances, its the only real choice we have to get long lasting results.

This post has been edited by fahrenheit: Apr 20 2007, 11:05 PM

GrandPipe

• Archived User
« Reply #288 on: April 20, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »

got the 3rlod after updating GH2. Going through lawdawg tutorial, but my m5x10 screws have a domed head and when i put it back the board doesnt quite fit back into the metal case. So im assuming its ok to drill holes in the bottom of the metal case so there is space for it to fit through? (ie. srews to the heatsinks no longer touch the metal case on the bottom).

Also, i used 2 washers up top and 2 on the bottom. I've screwed the heatsink down so they're snug with no real force. Is there any way to tell if the spacing is perfect? I cant see any spaces if i look closely at the gpu/heatsinks. Im just trying to make sure nothing explodes when i turn it on.

DaniloMQ

• Archived User
« Reply #289 on: April 20, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(GrandPipe @ Apr 20 2007, 11:28 PM) View Post

got the 3rlod after updating GH2. Going through lawdawg tutorial, but my m5x10 screws have a domed head and when i put it back the board doesnt quite fit back into the metal case. So im assuming its ok to drill holes in the bottom of the metal case so there is space for it to fit through? (ie. srews to the heatsinks no longer touch the metal case on the bottom).

Also, i used 2 washers up top and 2 on the bottom. I've screwed the heatsink down so they're snug with no real force. Is there any way to tell if the spacing is perfect? I cant see any spaces if i look closely at the gpu/heatsinks. Im just trying to make sure nothing explodes when i turn it on.

the worst that can happen is 2rl when you turn it on, indicating that the heatsink is not in perfect contact with the core

lukebe

• Archived User
« Reply #290 on: April 20, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(SnufftheCrimeDog @ Apr 21 2007, 06:52 AM) View Post

As I said 2 pages ago in this thread. I have fixed my 0020 with RBJ's tutorial.
By correcting the board flex you possibly correct all whole range of issues.

pimpmaul69

• Archived User
« Reply #291 on: April 20, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(GrandPipe @ Apr 20 2007, 11:28 PM) View Post

remove the washers that are on the bottom side and you will be fine and no drilling

lukebe

• Archived User
« Reply #292 on: April 20, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(GrandPipe @ Apr 21 2007, 08:28 AM) *

I would recommend if your going to start drilling to use RBJ's tutorial (links all through this thread) as it is the current method of choice. If you insist I dont see any reason why drilling there will cause a problem. You could also grind the heads down a mm.

benfinkel

• Archived User
« Reply #293 on: April 20, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »

+1 success smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Took me some time, particularly "modifying" the CPU heatsink, but I got it working.

Only needed two washers on top of the MB under the heatsink, otherwise went well.

I've only been running it for a few minutes, we'll see how it goes for the next few days.

-Ben

QUOTE(SnufftheCrimeDog @ Apr 20 2007, 09:52 PM) *

I had code 0020.  It has seemed to work for me.  More to come later.

wellmodded

• Archived User
« Reply #294 on: April 20, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »

ok thsi is weird i have fixed many 360 before using the this screwing heatinsk down the m/b and using the eraser trick and thy all worked
i fixing another one that has a 0020 error i first did the heatgun fix and test the m/b witt eh xclamps and it worked fine ( i didn't test it for lng just want to make sure the heatgun got it works
thn i used the screws and bolt the m/b through the case and the heatsinks but whn i finish doing all of tht tightn down everythink it jus give me back the 3rlod
so i decide to slack the screws and over heat the board
after i did tht and allowed it to cool it worked  i ddin;t test it for long just wanted to see it truned on and didnt get he 3rlod so i bolt upback the heatsinsk tightly and turned it on and i got the 3rlod
wht couldbe casuing this ( is it that i tightne it too much casugint eh cold weld not too touch

I nver had a problem like this on the other m/b i fixed

wellmodded

• Archived User
« Reply #295 on: April 20, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(wellmodded @ Apr 20 2007, 11:14 PM) *

ok thsi is weird i have fixed many 360 before using the this screwing heatinsk down the m/b and using the eraser trick and thy all worked
i fixing another one that has a 0020 error i first did the heatgun fix and test the m/b witt eh xclamps and it worked fine ( i didn't test it for lng just want to make sure the heatgun got it works
thn i used the screws and bolt the m/b through the case and the heatsinks but whn i finish doing all of tht tightn down everythink it jus give me back the 3rlod
so i decide to slack the screws and over heat the board
after i did tht and allowed it to cool it worked  i ddin;t test it for long just wanted to see it truned on and didnt get he 3rlod so i bolt upback the heatsinsk tightly and turned it on and i got the 3rlod
wht couldbe casuing this ( is it that i tightne it too much casugint eh cold weld not too touch

I nver had a problem like this on the other m/b i fixed

OK i can;t figure otu y i can't edit my post any waz
i slackened the screws for the heatsinka nd GPU and it stoped give mte 3RLOD tht weird well i can guest tht one conetact have problem whn 2 tight but i have another problem i am worried now that the heatinks arn't tight enough on the die
( maybe i might be wrong well the heatinsk feel fermlyin place so does tht mean thy tight enough on the die

ok i thik i figure itout the board been pulled dow onto the metal casue and it flesing 2 much i gotta put adtion washer uner the baord

This post has been edited by wellmodded: Apr 21 2007, 04:41 AM

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #296 on: April 21, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »

Due to the clutter in this thread, some posts relating to RBJtech's tutorial and some relating Lawdawg0931's Tutorial, 2 new thread have created so each method has it's own thread and thing's don't get so cluttered.

RBJtech's Method
Lawdawg0931's Method

Please use these threads from now on to discuss The individual Methods.

This post has been edited by grim_d: Apr 21 2007, 01:53 PM
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]