xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: Tutorial For "x" Clamp Replacement  (Read 3150 times)

ElDom

• Archived User
Tutorial For "x" Clamp Replacement
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »

I just posted about something like this.......
But, ine\stead of new clamps, I placed weights on it and let it overheat. It worked like a charm!

mattygabe

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »

Lawdawg: My box finally died last night when I was showing my brother-in-law the demo of Viva Pinata (ironic, I know).  The box could withstand two whole weeks with playing crackdown for about an hour each time, and then when he comes over to see the demo, it began to freeze, I got the checkerboard video, and then the 3RLOD.

I saved the word document tutorial that you had because I knew the day was coming.  Luckily I was home and had free time.  Got the parts, followed the tutorial judiciously.  I must say the tutorial was somewhat lacking compared to other tutorials, but if you can't follow along on this one you probably shouldn't be hacking open a 360 to begin with.

One problem I had was that I really didn't tighten the heatsinks down much at all.  I tightened them conservatively with my fingers, but I believe the CPU sink was a bit off.  Right off the bat after powering it up to attempt a reflow (or at least a board flex, from what someone has suggested), I got the 2 red lights, and left it on for 2 minutes.  To no avail.  Then, I tightened the sinks down to where they were snug (I was VERY careful to make sure that they were equally tightened and not tight at all, actually:)).  I then turned it on (fans off still), and let it sit for two minutes.  This time I noticed the CPU sink was definitely warmer, so the heat dissipation was there this time.  I never got the 2 red lights, only the 3 lights the entire time.  Shut it off, let it cool for 5-10 minutes as I grabbed a drink.  Came back, powered it on, and it worked!

The heat gun trick worked for a little over 2 weeks (didn't have a 360 game until exactly 2 weeks ago), so I will keep track of the system and how it progresses with this fix in place.  Starting today, Monday, April 2, 2007, I'll track my system's progress to see how well this truly does work.

Thanks again, Lawdawg.  The parts numbers are a GREAT idea, I have EXACTLY what was intended and ran into no installation problems - hopefully we can translate these part numbers for those of you who are unlucky enough to not have a Lowe's nearby.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mysta @ Apr 2 2007, 01:10 PM) View Post

Yeah i looked around, i understand circuitry, i just don't feel like messing with power supply, so i'm not gonna mess with it.

its not that difficult, all you need to do is grab 12v off somewhere

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 06:14:00 AM »

Please post results of the x-clamp tutorial Here

Thanks.

Mysta

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »

K i'm not done so i'll post when i'm done, Anyone else have trouble getting the ports to line up with the holes in the metal? I can't tell if the board is warped or if the screws are too big, i got the thinnest headed screws i could find so i can't tell if thats the problem or not.

PureThermite

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »

I have a 360 that was recovered from a 3RL error via the heating method, would this still be worth it to do?

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(PureThermite @ Apr 3 2007, 12:45 AM) View Post

I have a 360 that was recovered from a 3RL error via the heating method, would this still be worth it to do?

yes, its well known that the heatgun method is only a temporary fix.

This method seems to yeild good results..and although having never tried it, would probably reccomend it.

PureThermite

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »

Alright, i'll pick up the parts tonight or tomorrow then.  smile.gif

Just one question, would the part #'s be the same at Home Depot?  I don't think there's a Lowe's near me.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(PureThermite @ Apr 3 2007, 09:49 AM) View Post

Alright, i'll pick up the parts tonight or tomorrow then.  smile.gif

Just one question, would the part #'s be the same at Home Depot?  I don't think there's a Lowe's near me.

they will most likely be different. but you should be able to find something to fit if you know what you are looking for

Mysta

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »

Hrms, now i'm getting some turn ons, bust mostly 3rlod's still. This possible because the boards warped?

getting 0020 error now >.<.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mysta @ Apr 3 2007, 10:57 AM) View Post

Hrms, now i'm getting some turn ons, bust mostly 3rlod's still. This possible because the boards warped?

getting 0020 error now >.<.

yeah your problem might be due to a warped board.

if you take the board out, does it look warped? it wont have to be warped much

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »

@ PureThermite
The parts listed are HILLMAN brand, if Home Depot sells them - should be same part #'s (printed on the plastic bag).

bigg92

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »

Im going to try to pick up the supplies for this mod tommorow at a local hardware store if i dont find it there i guess ill take the trip to homedepot. Im going to get the stuff and try it on my messed up mobo but I really am going to use it as a preventative for my new mobo.

lawdawg0931

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »

@Bigg92

If you have a system that is working at the moment, I wouldn't touch it! I have friends who have 360's way older than mine, and they've never had a problem. Print the tutorial out & use it if you have to, but I wouldn't do it on a system that is in working condition.

poisonousjuice

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(bigg92 @ Apr 3 2007, 03:37 AM) View Post

Im going to try to pick up the supplies for this mod tommorow at a local hardware store if i dont find it there i guess ill take the trip to homedepot. Im going to get the stuff and try it on my messed up mobo but I really am going to use it as a preventative for my new mobo.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20