xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: The End Of The 3 Red Lights!  (Read 1417 times)

Baraka MKD

• Archived User
The End Of The 3 Red Lights!
« on: March 13, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »

Yes it's true, the solution is an eraser (I'm not kidding) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Sounds funny but it really works.

The memories of the xbox 360 are sucks, it needs a "foot" to continue working. The "foot" is an eraser, you will need to cut it in 4 lite piece and a glue baton to fix the eraser.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/stampbr/mod360-3.jpg)
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/stampbr/mod360-4.jpg)

The memories in the back of the mother-board:

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/stampbr/mod360-2.jpg)

The eraser with glue:

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/stampbr/mod360-5.jpg)

Some people have sucess with this mod and they xbox 360 are working fine months and months.
This discover have been done by Chiaroscuro from the www.portalxbox.com.br (this is not spam, its only a credit for the author of this brilliant discover).

Thanks people,
Thanks Chiaroscuro!

This post has been edited by Baraka MKD: Mar 13 2007, 09:46 PM

Heat-Ronin

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »

Hmm... Does this fix already existing problems

crosseye

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »

Why on earth would this work? Are they just not firmly in place and these press them in? Also, does this fix systems that are red lighting, or it's supposed to "prevent".

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »

Eraser for thermal pads?  And yes, they are the sucks.   tongue.gif

GreenStang99

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »

I guess this is worth a shot for someone with a 3 red lights error with nothing left to lose.

atomiX

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »

Might not be for thermal dissipation but to possibly press in dry solder joints. Might work but I don't see this as being the ultimate solution. I can see bad joints being a possible cause of these red light errors after seeing a difference after performing the heatgun fix.

If the box is still under warranty, sending it to MS is the way to go.

luizcra

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »

this is for broken xbox! if you have nothing  to lose try it ... it has a much bigger tutorial in other language so you have to be careful with some things if you are going to try it but it seens to be working (at least for error 0102) for peoplewho tried...

brywalker

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »

Although I applaud the "cheap" repairs, this is just about retarded. Yes, it will put pressure on the chips. However, it will raise temps. ESPECIALLY if GLUE is used.

Also, I just got mine apart for the first time and I am confused. A lot of people keep saying that the back plate is used to cool the memory - this is just not true. The chips mostly sit in the "ravines", so there is just air trapped in there. I need to see how much clearance there is between the board and the case, it may be worth cutting away that whole area of the RF shield.

This post has been edited by brywalker: Mar 14 2007, 02:29 AM

william di mase

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »

Here in Brazil, this guy its a hero - the 360 cost U$ 1300,00 more or less.
I will put the text from Chiaroscuro, translated:

"Now, a bit of my experience with 3RLs. My console started to stop. In the start, only once in a while. Later frequent, then after to initiate a game. In the end, it gave fatal the 3 red lights. The console of my brother gave problem the same, but of it it stopped with graphical errors in the screen. Mine it congealed the screen, of it it gave devices, in general the screen it was with square-lined aspect. I tried some solutions in two consoles: to heat the Chips, to try to strengthen the weld of CPU and GPU with a pistol of heat, etc. Came back to function, but after some days, the problem returned. In the end of much experience, I discovered the cause of the problem: bad contact in the four memories located in the inferior part of motherboard. Really, to place the memories there, or redor of the GPU that produces very, more much same heat, and to use weld BGA without lead in these memories was not a good idea of projectÂ… The problem is that the esquenta GPU, amolece the weld, and with the time, the gravity it pulls the memories for low, causing the bad contact. It does not matter if its console is in the horizontal line or vertical, the gravity acts the same of skill in these memories. If I pressured these memories, the console I came back to function. But soon the gravity caused again the bad contact. A type of chock to keep the memories in the place was necessary. I tested some materials and I arrived the presented solution below. Not it needs to make no physical modification in the console (it can revert easily for the original state), none fan additional is necessary, nor to reweld none chip. It is very simple and efficient. The memories in itself do not heat, who heats is the GPU (and it passes the heat for the memories). The rubber is optimum material for this mod, therefore he is isolating thermal and electric. The important one is to pressure the memories they to be well imprisoned in the plate-mother."  

Complementing the topic, after pass glue in rubbers, Chiaroscuro says that, if when binding the 360 and it still will be presenting 3RLs or some error, if does not worry, is normal, therefore some heat is necessary it to function of the first time. On one per the one 5 10 minutes leaves 360. You go to perceive that the spendthrifts heat very (he imagines then the GPU and the memories below of them). - Passed 10 minutes, he disconnect the console. Soon, the heat amoleceu the weld of the memories, and the pressure of the chocks placed they in the place and goes to hinder exactly that they leave again, with the heat of the GPU (the weld can come back to soft, but the rubber arrests the memory in the place). The problem must have disappeared and now the 360 always bind of first (heat its necessary only in the  first time that you it makes I fix it). The times can bind already of first, but as the memories were half untied, can be necessary to wait this first heat one.

In Brazil, his discovery help many guys with broken 360.
Sorry my english

This post has been edited by william di mase: Mar 14 2007, 02:44 AM

luizcra

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »

the theory of this is that the problem is not the temperature!!the base of this is to put the memory chips in place because they move no matter hat you do when it gets hot . (it may be wrong but people are saying it works)

Radioedit420

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »

I wont beleive it until a reputable member from here at X-S tries it and posts his result

william di mase

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Radioedit420 @ Mar 13 2007, 10:16 PM) *

I wont beleive it until a reputable member from here at X-S tries it and posts his result

You say that because a brazilian discover this. We are accustomed. Walk-man its brazilian invetion; the airplane was invented by Santos Dumon't, and not for the Wright brothers. But, all good. In a little time an American goes to test and you goes to believe. Later, you go speak that who discovered was an American. But, all good.

Xandegui77

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »

Hello folks, let me explain some points about this mod.
I am brazilian too and for a long time I don't speak or write in english. Said that, try to understand the points and talk about them and not about our bad english. English are not our native languague in the same way that brazilian portuguese are not yours.

This post was blocked once as being spama and it's not the case.

I will try to explain what some people have discovered and how they fixed A LOT of Xbox 360 with this mod.

This mod was made to FIX 3RL (code 0102 and others) and proved to be efficient with a lot of bricked 360. Even some that were fixed with a towel or a hot gun and had 3RL again were fixed with this simple and inexpensive mod.

Someone discovered that his bricke xbox could boot when he put some pressure over the memories. He did that with a "paper weight". When he removed the pressure over the memories the 3RL appeared again. What was the conclusion? Failure, bad contact, bad joints or cracked solder joints.

Then a guy named Chiaroscuro at www.portalxbox.com.br did this mod and a lot of people did too with success. I counted until now 15 bricked xbox fixed with this simple fix.

Now let's talk about the mod.
What he did was cut 4 pieces of a eraser, put some glue on them and put them on the memories on the back side of the motherboard.
These pieces of eraser were about 4mm of thickness.
When mounting the motherboard, the eraser will put pressure over the memories. That's the point, put pressure over the memories.
It sounds crazy but is true. A lot of bricked 360 that was not fixed with a hot gun was fixed with a simple pressure over the memories. What the fuck, hehehe. I already counted 15 fixed 360 with a simple eraser. And the count continues to rise.

A lot of people is asking why do that if warranty exists. NOT HERE IN BRAZIL. Here we can buy a 360 for US$ 730. And these are in the cheapest places, bought with no warranty, bought illegally, because of the tremendous taxes that we pay here. Again... what the fuck??
After paying US$ 700 with no warranty and have a bricked 360 that's what we are trying to do, just fix that shit.

Ok, we can buy a legal 360 here, launched officialy but for that we have to pay JUST US$ 1370. Ok, now we have warranty. And yes, it's 1.37k and not US$ 370.

And what is MY opinion about bricked 360. The memory for me is always the guilty, not the GPU. I think that Microsoft is already receiven memory below the specs of 700MHz and are mounting them to continue the suply. What they are doing to me? Overclocking the memory. Overclocking the memory causes a lot of heat and can brick the system. This last paragraph is just my opinion but the rest is all true.

Xandegui77

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(brywalker @ Mar 13 2007, 09:59 PM) View Post

Although I applaud the "cheap" repairs, this is just about retarded. Yes, it will put pressure on the chips. However, it will raise temps. ESPECIALLY if GLUE is used.

Also, I just got mine apart for the first time and I am confused. A lot of people keep saying that the back plate is used to cool the memory - this is just not true. The chips mostly sit in the "ravines", so there is just air trapped in there. I need to see how much clearance there is between the board and the case, it may be worth cutting away that whole area of the RF shield.

Brywalker, my 360 came with some kind of pink elastomer over the memories on the back side of the mother-board. It's a soft material and it keeps contact with both memories and RF shield. If I want to give a try for this mod I will have to remove that kind of elastomer that looks like a bubble gum.
Then your theory of raising the temp is not true. It will be true if this kind of elastomer serves to raise the temperature too. I don't know what that "bubble gum" serves for but that's not for raise the temperature.

That serves to low the temp or another thing that I don't know what is.

ydgmms

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(brywalker @ Mar 14 2007, 01:59 AM) View Post

After ~March 2006, MS started using thermal pads on the bottom RAM, to use the shielding as a heatsink for those. If your system is Pre-March 2006-ish, you might not have those things on your RAM, so you think they don't. But as opening my system today, I noticed this. Others have as well... Like the person that posted at the same time as me smile.gif.

QUOTE(Xandegui77 @ Mar 14 2007, 03:02 AM) View Post

Brywalker, my 360 came with some kind of pink elastomer over the memories on the back side of the mother-board. It's a soft material and it keeps contact with both memories and RF shield. If I want to give a try for this mod I will have to remove that kind of elastomer that looks like a bubble gum.
Then your theory of raising the temp is not true. It will be true if this kind of elastomer serves to raise the temperature too. I don't know what that "bubble gum" serves for but that's not for raise the temperature.

That serves to low the temp or another thing that I don't know what is.

Thats a heat conducting material. It thermally attachs those RAM chips to the sheilding to use it as a giant heat sink. As I said before systems before ~March 06 don't have it. Systems after March 06, should have it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19