xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: The End Of The 3 Red Lights!  (Read 1422 times)

LOKi1

• Archived User
The End Of The 3 Red Lights!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »

Its True! cool.gif  Brazil Rulez

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »

As a total guess I'd say this isn't a RAM issue but rather it flexes the motherboard upwards and so solves the problem of the board warping. The board can't warp back because the rubber stops in moving downwards and supports the board. If you let your machine heat up first so that the solder reflows then perhaps this might work just as well as various clamping methods. I imagine it would make the RAM get a lot hotter though.

I know the CPU/GPU is the issue on the ones I have fixed as you can actually see the broken connections. That isn't to say that all 360s fail because of that, but that perhaps this method fixes the same problem (by flexing the board back) while just appearing to be related to the RAM.

At the very least, I'd use thermal pads instead of rubber.

Xandegui77

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(william di mase @ Mar 13 2007, 10:31 PM) View Post

You say that because a brazilian discover this. We are accustomed. Walk-man its brazilian invetion; the airplane was invented by Santos Dumon't, and not for the Wright brothers. But, all good. In a little time an American goes to test and you goes to believe. Later, you go speak that who discovered was an American. But, all good.

William, please, don't talk this way because you can initiate a flame war and this is not the purpouse of this thread.
He have the right to doubt. Everybody have.

I just have to say just what luiscra said. For bricked 360 with NO WARRANTY what bad coul happen? NOTHING. The 360 is already bricked.
It costs nothing to do, no need to be an astronout to be able to do that. And if that works? Come back here, be polite and post the results. Simple as that.

speedygonzolas3

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(ydgmms @ Mar 14 2007, 04:05 AM) View Post

After ~March 2006, MS started using thermal pads on the bottom RAM, to use the shielding as a heatsink for those. If your system is Pre-March 2006-ish, you might not have those things on your RAM, so you think they don't. But as opening my system today, I noticed this. Others have as well... Like the person that posted at the same time as me smile.gif.
Thats a heat conducting material. It thermally attachs those RAM chips to the sheilding to use it as a giant heat sink. As I said before systems before ~March 06 don't have it. Systems after March 06, should have it.

my 360 is past that date, so from what im reading i do have the thermal pads, but are they like paste?? so if i wer 2 take my mobo out of my metal shielding would it break some sort of a seal and make it not conduct heat as well??? uhh.gif

brywalker

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(ydgmms @ Mar 14 2007, 03:05 AM) *

After ~March 2006, MS started using thermal pads on the bottom RAM, to use the shielding as a heatsink for those. If your system is Pre-March 2006-ish, you might not have those things on your RAM, so you think they don't. But as opening my system today, I noticed this. Others have as well... Like the person that posted at the same time as me smile.gif.
Thats a heat conducting material. It thermally attachs those RAM chips to the sheilding to use it as a giant heat sink. As I said before systems before ~March 06 don't have it. Systems after March 06, should have it.

Thermal pads are COMPLETELY different than a slab of rubber. I do not have the pads, although they would ABSOLUTELY help. My only concern is that it looks like the memory will lay right across this little dip in the backplate. How do the pads help unless you put an assload to cover the gap?

Xandegui77

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(dokworm @ Mar 13 2007, 11:15 PM) View Post

As a total guess I'd say this isn't a RAM issue but rather it flexes the motherboard upwards and so solves the problem of the board warping. The board can't warp back because the rubber stops in moving downwards and supports the board. If you let your machine heat up first so that the solder reflows then perhaps this might work just as well as various clamping methods. I imagine it would make the RAM get a lot hotter though.

I know the CPU/GPU is the issue on the ones I have fixed as you can actually see the broken connections. That isn't to say that all 360s fail because of that, but that perhaps this method fixes the same problem (by flexing the board back) while just appearing to be related to the RAM.

At the very least, I'd use thermal pads instead of rubber.

Good post man! I agree with you in some parts and in others I have to disagree.
You did in the right way, being polite. Say someone is retarded like someone did is not the right way.

Everybody here is just guessing! What is real is that here in Brazil a lot of bricked 360 were fixed with a simple rubber.

You know that the GPU/CPU on the ones you have fixed had broken connections and this rubber could flex the board in the same way that here we have a lot of people saying that his bricked 360 works if a pressure is put over the memories. Ok, the pressure over the memories could flex the board and/or make the bad solder joint gain god connection.

Now it's too soon for anybody to make conclusions. There are a lot of bad connections on CPU, GPU and RAM, everybody already said something related.

What is impressive is that this simple rubber is fixing (I don't know for how long time) a lot of bricked 360. I don't know if it fix flexing the board or make good connections on RAM. I sincerily don't know but we came here just to say that is working better and with more succes than using hot gun, using a towel or another crazy stuff that people are doing when are desesperate. How about losing 700 bucks??

brywalker

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xandegui77 @ Mar 14 2007, 03:38 AM) View Post

Say someone is retarded like someone did is not the right way.

I never said that the person doing it is retarded. I said putting rubber on things that get over 150F is retarded.

Translation issue. smile.gif

Xandegui77

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(brywalker @ Mar 13 2007, 11:29 PM) View Post

Thermal pads are COMPLETELY different than a slab of rubber. I do not have the pads, although they would ABSOLUTELY help. My only concern is that it looks like the memory will lay right across this little dip in the backplate. How do the pads help unless you put an assload to cover the gap?

"How do the pads help unless you put an assload to cover the gap?"
I think that just Microsoft engineers can answer this, hehe.

For those that think that the pad is clued and for those that never saw one.
IPB Image
ps: I hate the guy that made this photo, hehe

belke

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »

couldnt you find something better than an eraser? like a mini heatsink or something to transfer the heat?

brywalker

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xandegui77 @ Mar 14 2007, 04:04 AM) *

"How do the pads help unless you put an assload to cover the gap?"
I think that just Microsoft engineers can answer this, hehe.

For those that think that the pad is clued and for those that never saw one.
IPB Image
ps: I hate the guy that made this photo, hehe

OH. MY. GOD. What a bunch of hacks. I guess that piece of rubber doesn't look so bad now.

I think a nice custom slab of copper would be sweet. Put some AS5 on each side. Done.

Serioulsy, though. I think that if you fill the gap seperately and then put thermal pads on them it won't be so bad.  blink.gif

mattygabe

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »

This is an extremely interesting and intriguing topic.

To my Brazilian friends, please don't be offended by members who are skeptical regarding this method.  It wasn't a Brazil-USA sort of skepticism, but instead was merely that only a few people (yourselves) have stated that it works, and no one has really shown enough evidence that this is a permanent fix.

We also didn't think that you said this was THE end-all for the 3RL.  This may just be a longer fix than the towel/heat gun tricks are (from what I read the towel idea is quite an inane thing to do).

What I am concerned about is the long-term effects of this.  We need to get someone in here that really truly knows his components, and could possibly give us some insight into what this might do.  I'm worried that this may burn up the memory chips altogether, something that might be almost unfixable!

Please give us updates on how these fixes are going.  Let us know how long someone's bricked 360 has kept running since you've performed the eraser trick.  Are there any new errors?  Any little quirks/weird habits the 360 has since attained?

This is key to getting this solution out.  Just like with scientific findings, you have to put it out there and let others test it for themselves and come to the same conclusions you did before you can crown yourself victorious.  I'm interested to see what types of results this brings - it seems to be a good fix thus far!

Edit: Afterthought - what about drilling holes in the rubber or whatever other object you use to prop up the memory chips - or just using a pad half the size of those erasers above so the entire chip isn't covered.  Are there workarounds to this heat issue?

brywalker

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »

How much space do you have between the memory and the RF shield? How about if you don't screw it back down to the X clamps?

I found some 6mm copper ramsinks that may do the trick. Might have to trim a mm off them, but I think it would be a better solution thermally while acheving the same thing (pressing the chips down).

mattygabe

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(brywalker @ Mar 13 2007, 10:40 PM) View Post

How much space do you have between the memory and the RF shield? How about if you don't screw it back down to the X clamps?

I found some 6mm copper ramsinks that may do the trick. Might have to trim a mm off them, but I think it would be a better solution thermally while acheving the same thing (pressing the chips down).

Interesting.  How would one go about attaching these ramsinks.  I think someone said using glue poses a problem with the heat issue again.  

The reason why I'm so inquisitive about this (as is everyone else) is that I have a 360 that is being kept alive by the heat gun trick.  It's only been done once or twice, but I know that eventually it will give out again.  I want to make sure that the next time it gives out, I'll do the heat gun trick for the very last time, and then I want to really make sure the ram chips are being pushed up to help keep those solder joints in place without any board flex.

All of your help is greatly appreciated, thanks for all the research and documentation!

ydgmms

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(mattygabe @ Mar 14 2007, 04:47 AM) View Post

Interesting.  How would one go about attaching these ramsinks.  I think someone said using glue poses a problem with the heat issue again.  

The reason why I'm so inquisitive about this (as is everyone else) is that I have a 360 that is being kept alive by the heat gun trick.  It's only been done once or twice, but I know that eventually it will give out again.  I want to make sure that the next time it gives out, I'll do the heat gun trick for the very last time, and then I want to really make sure the ram chips are being pushed up to help keep those solder joints in place without any board flex.

All of your help is greatly appreciated, thanks for all the research and documentation!

there is thermal adhesive. its glue that conducts heat. i

Xandegui77

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(belke @ Mar 14 2007, 12:06 AM) View Post

couldnt you find something better than an eraser? like a mini heatsink or something to transfer the heat?

I think a heatsink would do better if properly fixed and with the exact height. Maybe a better thermal pad and harder, not that soft thing that Microsoft used.

I think that rubber is not the better material because the 360 will overheat and could brick again and maybe definitly.

I think that a heatsink properly made that can put some force over the memories could do a better job but not an excessive one. Just enough to make some bad solder joints became good.

It was just a try in a bricked xbox that did not need to be replaced  because made a bricked xbox to work for 4 months till now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19