xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 65

Author Topic: New Lite-on Drive Found Worldwide  (Read 3818 times)

mduga

• Archived User
New Lite-on Drive Found Worldwide
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »

I knew it was only time, before MS would release a new drive that wouldn't be flashable.  I thought it was bad with the 79's, but I would rather have them than this drive.  Maybe it's time to stockpile a few 360's so I got backups in case I get a RROD again, which is very likely.

I wonder how long before they will be putting these drives into new consoles.

RoboChicken

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »

Wow that's an ass-ton of vias! Hope the right legs have them just in case

BennyBou

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »

I'm a little happy to see this coming. With this drive maybe unflashable I hope famous Xbox 360 hackers will turn their back on firmware flashes to find easier methods to run unsigned code.

All what firmware hacking does is permitting pirates downloading games for free. I doubt most of people using them to backup their games seeing how well privates torrents trackers works!

I want XBMC for 360, that's all!

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »

How about creating a VCC switch?

QUOTE(BennyBou @ Apr 22 2008, 04:05 AM) *

I'm a little happy to see this coming. With this drive maybe unflashable I hope famous Xbox 360 hackers will turn their back on firmware flashes to find easier methods to run unsigned code.

All what firmware hacking does is permitting pirates downloading games for free. I doubt most of people using them to backup their games seeing how well privates torrents trackers works!

I want XBMC for 360, that's all!

Ok, but you do realize that c4e hasn't expressed issue in hacking the 360's kernel and/or hv, nor has he given any indication that he possesses the skill to do so. Perhaps you're confusing him with Robinsod or someone else.

Chrushev

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »

Ok, so

1)
BENQ wasnt hacked right away because there were barelly any of them on the market.. as soon as they became mainstream (july 07) it was hacked in August-Octrober 07... (At least tahts my understanding)...

So if this drive becomes main stream, and is hackable.. i would imagine it getting hacked within 6 months.

2)
I think its too early to speculate about the chip being 1 write only etc... because if you couldnt write to it, you would be at least able to read it. Just like the console reads it. But seeing how people cant read it, means that they arent "talking" to the drive properly.. meaning we prolly need a new version of dosflash or some other utility to "talk" to the drive properly.  There has to be a way to at least read the firmware.

3)
Wouldnt this promote chinese mod chip makes to make millions of dollars off of modchips for 360? Because if these drives are unmoddable and 90% of xbox's for sale have these drives.. then i wouldnt be surprised if 360's started getting chipped on regular basis.. like PS2's and Wii's do.

nike26au

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »

just got one back from xbox 360 and now has Benq DG-16D2S
and other from shops it was from core pack

Mowgli

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(shauno @ Apr 21 2008, 08:12 PM) *

Hi today i recieved a console back from microsoft repair center in Australia, it had a BENQ drive which didnt seem to flash via dosflash. Apon inspection i believe i have found a new drive revision!...

I have some questions unrelated to hacking:
  • What was the system repaired for? (RROD, optical drive problems, etc.)
  • How does the noise level compare to earlier drives?

1212kiwi

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »

I think that these have to be rewritable because there have been cases of a 360 getting the rlod and after repair, having a new mobo.  This means that they had to flash the firmware of the drive with the new key.

fluidmax

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(1212kiwi @ Apr 22 2008, 05:46 AM) *

I think that these have to be rewritable because there have been cases of a 360 getting the rlod and after repair, having a new mobo.  This means that they had to flash the firmware of the drive with the new key.

ya it could be a "write once" chip so it gets married to the mobo in the factory

sdeens2008

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »

Guys,

your forgetting to do somethign even more important than tracking down the data sheets for the controller.

you need to update ASAP the DVD drive database web site with the LOT #'s and manufacturng dates from the outdside of the XBOX360 packing,

please do this right away before we start seeing these sold on the shelf at Best Buy and Fry's electronics and other similar retailers...we don't want people to buy one of these units if it has one of these drives in it; which no doubt should be appearing on gthe shelfs in th every near future...

let save some people the headaches.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

http://www.360drives.com/list

Maverick-DBZ-

• Recovered User
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »

From what I read so far, these drives haven't hit retail outlets yet. All the posts here are from MS repair centers.

It's probably only a matter of time though before we do see these on retail shelves.

shauno

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »

Ok guys some more small findings. I tried mtkflash (+ 10 sec trick) no read, not recognised in windows, its recognised by slax as 16D2S during bootup, thats about as far as i can get.....

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »

Looks like an SPI similar to the BenQs we've come to know and love hold the fw. Deduce which leg of the SPI carries the power to the chip, and try lifting that leg and soldering a switch. From there, try dosflash/mtkflash.

QUOTE(fluidmax @ Apr 22 2008, 05:50 AM) View Post

ya it could be a "write once" chip so it gets married to the mobo in the factory

If they did that, they'd only make it harder to fix any systems they recieve. If a chip would indeed be write-once, they wouldn't be able to re-marry a drive (in the event the mobo died, but the drive was still good). I'm pretty convinced that the 360 having a more computer-like essence is saving MS a good chunk of change (compared to if the console was designed more like a PS2).

teztickles

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »

Just realised mine has the new drive too.

Sent to Microsoft Australia with a Samsung drive and the 3 RROD error on April 14, got it back on April 21 with the new drive. My old drive however was playing up a little, mainly not ejecting (without knocking on the drive door) when the drive was empty so don't know if that is why it may have been swapped.

Damn..............tez

steveju

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(sdeens2008 @ Apr 22 2008, 04:51 AM) *
your forgetting to do somethign even more important than tracking down the data sheets for the controller.

you need to update ASAP the DVD drive database web site with the LOT #'s and manufacturng dates from the outdside of the XBOX360 packing
How would you do this without the package for the 360? It was repaired, so none of the details would match the drive with the 360.

This post has been edited by steveju: Apr 22 2008, 07:17 AM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 65