xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Halo 2 Players Pissed At Dlc Fees  (Read 804 times)

ghost_psalm777

• Archived User
Halo 2 Players Pissed At Dlc Fees
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2005, 03:23:00 AM »

Sometimes it makes me wonder if people just think that servers are magical and just always work no matter what.

Alot is involved in maintaining servers that supports millions of gamers. It would be unvbearable to play on XBL if it was free. Have you ever played PS2 online?

Listen 20 bucks for new maps is not that big of a deal. Buy the cd and put it on as many boxes as you want.

IronestMaiden

• Archived User
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »

ya no shit 20 bucks for the replability(bad spelling fuck off),i mean even to now thers no better online game and for 20 bucks you get like another half of the game the good half but still who nows what will be discovered from this download content,maybe more maps?

And besides, out of all the shit games that were supposed to be good that have come out lately im actually mainly looking forward to this expansion pack(ya not a fuckin game),and conkers.

Liquidvlade Hiraduo

• Archived User
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »

There is a few things everyone should know. I know we have all paid for the X-Box, Halo 2, X-Box Live ect.  But again, we live in a business world.  Even though they have made a LOT of money off Halo, its a lot of money to maintain the servers.  Just imagine ALL the people that play Halo 2 download the new maps the same day? Their servers aren't gonna take it.  Plus they have to pay a lot of people to maintain them as well. Nothing comes cheap.

MS aren't the only ones doing this.

Remember the PS2 HDD? A lot of people just wanted the HDD to get the new SOCOM II maps.  Did they have a downloadable content option? NO.  They sold them in the magazines 1 per month so people go and buy the magazine.  A lot of people were forced to pay 100$ for the damn HDD and FFXI just to play those maps. So the people that are bitching and complaining should realize that nothing is free.  If you can't afford it, then you must wait.

It's like the premier in movies, usually they are like 50$ if you want to be the first one to see it.  But if you refuse to pay to see it in the theathers and want to wait to be free then you must wait a long time for it.  It's just like that.

So buy it if you want if you don't then wait.  At least you are getting 2 of them free now.

IronestMaiden

• Archived User
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »

liquid yes this is a business world and money is the ultimint item for any monkey,but see people dont have to buy them or wait.I garantee that whomever wants to(even those who still play on live),can illegaly download the maps for free,and play those illegaly downloaded maps onlive,so you see your kinda wrong saying as i say about 80% of the people who play h2 online(onlive or not) will acquire these maps.

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2005, 05:52:00 PM »

no id say 80% is about right: if anything its a conservative estimate. if you talk to people online, the vast majority know shit about modding xbox's and would have no idea how to transfer dlc...

*whoops, didnt catch the 'live or not' part... but even given that id say a huge majority will pay for the maps, with the next largest group dling it, then the people who share the disc, and finally the 1% that waits till they are all free...

xboxbox451

• Archived User
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2005, 07:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(Liquidvlade Hiraduo @ Apr 11 2005, 04:42 PM)
But again, we live in a business world.  Even though they have made a LOT of money off Halo, its a lot of money to maintain the servers.

h34d5h0tz

• Archived User
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »

accept the ppl making these maps arnt working in sweatshops(dont even try 2 say they r), they arnt in indonesia, and these maps r fuckin 2.23$ a piece. i noticed that in ur sig it says that bungie said that most dlc isnt free, well how about most expansions arnt free. find and expansion that wus free, vs all the rest that arnt.

and xboxbox451... wow. how many ppl does xbc and kai have compaired to xbl? and with all thsoe ppl on xbl servers, do u seriously think its a small price 2 maintain? alot of ppl think servers r easy.

xboxbox451

• Archived User
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »

cool.gif .

FoeHammer05

• Archived User
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »

cool.gif

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2005, 10:02:00 PM »

service pack 2 is analagous to the cheat and glitch fixes they are giving away free... but nice try with that one...

h34d5h0tz

• Archived User
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2005, 10:25:00 PM »

yea i would like u to keep naming free expansions. u said that there r "9 charge/used to charged". how many dlc havnt become free? these maps will all become free at the end of the summer.

"they wont give the maps out to their loyal Halo fans" they r actualy giving them out for free as i stated above. but do they have a reason to give u all the maps free right off the bat? i dont c a reasonable argument towards that. mayb u can give me some.

br0w

• Archived User
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxbox451 @ Apr 12 2005, 01:56 AM)
How do you know the cost to maintain their servers??? Are you footing the bill, or analyzing their cost?

Blackcat

• Archived User
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(h34d5h0tz @ Apr 13 2005, 04:31 AM)
yea i would like u to keep naming free expansions. u said that there r "9 charge/used to charged". how many dlc havnt become free? these maps will all become free at the end of the summer.

broadd

• Archived User
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2005, 11:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(gcskate27 @ Apr 8 2005, 08:49 AM)
I said: - it's Bungie/MS' choice to incur the development costs because they don't release map editing tools to the community to make their own maps as a labor of love, which could then be distributed by Bungie. In other words, if we want different maps, we have little choice but to buy them from Bungie; which disadvantages Xbox players over PC players who can access the multitude of quality free maps developed by gamers for PC games.

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2005, 01:12:00 AM »

that wouldnt work at all for matchmaking... youd either get all mirror image maps with the same ammo stored in the same places (ie foundation) or horribly one sided maps... when kids make their own maps they arent thinking about gameplay or balance...

the 'build your own map' feature is pretty much a novelty that doesnt add too terribly much because theres no standardisation...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8