xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Is There Still Interest In Xbmc?  (Read 583 times)

VegaLA

• Archived User
Is There Still Interest In Xbmc?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(Overloaded @ Oct 4 2007, 09:56 AM) *

XBMC will live on for as long as there is an xbox that still powers up.

Thats my worry. Where would I go if my XBox died a death ? Sure I could find a second hand unit at a game store but i'd feel happier if I found a product that wsa more readily available like a small shuttle PC or something that is still in production. From what I understand though XBMC cannot be installed on  aPC so I would love to hear of alternatives.

tslayer

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(VegaLA @ Nov 15 2007, 06:47 AM) View Post

From what I understand though XBMC cannot be installed on  aPC so I would love to hear of alternatives.

You've been living in the dark then.  I suggest reading up on the XBMC linux port.

VegaLA

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »

Thanks I did.

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index....ux_port_project

And according to the link above it is still in development and is not only a long way before it is released but it also sounds like they are grabbing casual passers-by in order to get any headway on it.

Is tht article out of date, does anyone have know of it being completed and available to the end user ?

Cheers..........

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(VegaLA @ Nov 17 2007, 09:01 AM) View Post

Thanks I did.

http://www.xboxmedia...ux_port_project

And according to the link above it is still in development and is not only a long way before it is released but it also sounds like they are grabbing casual passers-by in order to get any headway on it.

Is tht article out of date, does anyone have know of it being completed and available to the end user ?

Cheers..........

There is an entire forum for this on the XBMC site with up to date progress logs.  Honestly given the initial response to the new dev request I had some doubts but it's looking pretty good right now.  From what I see, they are releasing builds (still early) but it looks like they are more finished than not at this point.

Forum: http://xboxmediacent...isplay.php?f=52

Update Sticky (last on 11/9) http://xboxmediacent...ead.php?t=29055

VegaLA

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »

Thanks Chris i'll keep my eye on that.

sxxxe83

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »

YES, XBMC all the way!

Best Media Center EVER.

sXe

This post has been edited by sxxxe83: Nov 30 2007, 10:18 AM

Super-FX

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »

Most definately.
Without XBMC my XBox 1 would most likely be in the big recycle bin in the sky !!!
XBMC keeps my XBox alive..........

flea17

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(spaz7986 @ Oct 10 2007, 12:06 AM) View Post

i agree with the above ^^^

I used to use XBMC as my music player but when they ruined the playlist functionality for playing music I gave up on it (I'm not the only one).  The old functionality which toggled back and forth between your music and your playlist (with the black button) was perfect, they replaced it with a very limited poor UI for playlists and 'Now Playing'.

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(flea17 @ Dec 16 2007, 08:39 PM) View Post

I used to use XBMC as my music player but when they ruined the playlist functionality for playing music I gave up on it (I'm not the only one).  The old functionality which toggled back and forth between your music and your playlist (with the black button) was perfect, they replaced it with a very limited poor UI for playlists and 'Now Playing'.

You could just use an old version, ya know.

Striker2k2

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »

Hell yeah, I'm still interested  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Just picked up a second one inc dvdkit for 60 bucks.
Have modded it myself, put in a digital coax output, xir for remote on/off and an old HD.
Best mediacenter ever. And fully controllable with my universal remote control (Sony RM-VL600).
The second one will be put in my parents livingroom on a 1080i resolution.

GinoDivx

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »

XBMC keeps my XBox alive! I have 3 of them, and will add another one! And my friends are converting. The best thing ever!

StreamBo

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2007, 02:28:00 AM »

yes!

I just wish my xbox(1) wouldn't choke on H.264 sad.gif

Manitcor

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »

most definiatly, after spending the better part of the last year search for a good media center front end solution for my library of music and videos I came across XBMC. I started using it only a week ago and just recently found this froum and upgraded to the latest T3CH build. This system is by far the best available and easiest to use and modify.

It has given new life to my old XBOX and has me even considering setting up a second in the guest room so my friends and family who stay over can privately access my media library.

Dont give much creedance to those who whine and complain, at the end of the day you will never make everyone happy and despite some features that a minority may not like overall this is a great system.

Clockface

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »

XBMC is superb, definately my media centre of choice, and a lot of the reason why I still use my XBox (although various XBox games and emulators also consume a lot of my free time).

XBMC allows me to play DVDs, downloaded video files and view pictures. And it does so flawlessly and in an easy to use fashion, and I'll continue to use XBMC as long as I can.

Many, may thanks to everyone involved in it's production.

stevodude

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »

I'd been using 'home theatre' pc's for years from mythtv to myhtpc to btv to showshifter to meedio.

And in my opinion the PC theatre softeare packages are now becoming way to complicated, and only bought my first xbox about 1 year ago for the sole reason to install xbmc and see how it was. I have revisited the PC HT front end several times, but always sitting there ready to go ( and use for everything) is my xbox with t3ch xbmc build running perfectly every time I press the button.

I now have 2, 1 downstairs (modchip) on projector/surround, and another upstairs (softmod) on TV & stereo.
(Just added the xbox upstairs that had myhtpc sw on it with tv tuner remote, but sometimes goes wonky when the pc comes out of standby), now xbox is instant on. and the kids can use my old laptop on the bench for playing pc games, instead of mixing the tvpc with media & pc style games.

Oh and the XBMC win32 port does actually work quite well (albiet a tad slow), and is OK for testing out your skinning skilz. :-)

May XBMC last for my lifetime...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5