xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Internet Browser  (Read 385 times)

mxlegend99

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« on: June 20, 2003, 12:51:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

mxlegend99

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 02:28:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

Pity that, they IMO, would have had the best odds on succeeding, but there are still many ppl capable i guess, but those may require an open source net browser to port, are there any available?

I would love to see one, i wish i where capable of creating xbe files from programs sources... but i tried it, and im too lazy to get it to work biggrin.gif

The unProfessional

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 09:57:00 AM »

wink.gif.  Besides, how much would it suck to surf the web from an xbox controller...  I just don't think the demand is there, considering the work requirements.

The email client is probably a little more useful, but not much.  Once again, who wants to send and receive email with an xbox controller...  I suppose it would be useful for receiving and reading email if you have only an Xbox and not a computer around (can't imagine that happening too often).

Why use an Xbox for web browsing and email when there's a PC around??

Just my thoughts...  I personally wouldn't want to write a browser for the Xbox because it would be ALOT of work, and probably wouldn't be too useful to most people.

xahur

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 11:43:00 AM »

dry.gif

The unProfessional

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 02:57:00 PM »

What in the ...?  I can't understand what you're saying...  Are you trying to say that you're writing one?  Well then great, go for it.

Oh, btw... dont do drugs, man, they're bad for you.

aweirdguy

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 01:33:00 PM »

who wants to send and receive email with an xbox controller

I agree it sounds like a neat idea, but unless you're installing linux and a keyboard it would be a major pain to use.... and then you wouldn't need a special browser. Who wants to tab thru web links like webtv? And it would suk bigtime to write an email choosing letters with the controller....

bombzhome

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 07:05:00 PM »

dry.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 09:01:00 AM »

Web browsing in 1993 -> EASY

Web browsing in 2003 -> Damn bat guano insanely difficult.

Why? Take a look at the source for most web pages these days... Flash, Java, VBScript, extensions... there are countless issues to navigate around just to display a single page correctly. Let's not even get to the notion of fetching data through firewalls and proxies. Let's not get into the notion of supporting web forms and the HTML UI functionality.

- and when somebody does do it, everybody will cry about how it doesn't support this, or it doesn't support that... or how broken some pages look.

Writing a web browser these days is a proposition akin to writing a Windows clone (backwards compatible with existing software). You need a good size development team, set requirements, test procedures, etc. It's just not a simple task.

Carsten

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 07:42:00 AM »

Well what we could do is use the XboxLive Head Set and make a Voice Recongization progy that would type for you.  I know this would be hard but possible.  This could solve the keyboard issue.  I donno once I have some free time I might try to do this

The unProfessional

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 02:19:00 PM »

cool.gif

Carsten

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2003, 10:01:00 AM »

Yea I agree "The Unprofessional", That the USB Keyboard would be the best solution right now.

contrast

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2003, 01:18:00 PM »

Why not just a simple prog to D/L your e-mail with ?  How hard can that be ?
Atleast then I don't have to start Linux for 8 minuten and it takes another 3 to shut it down.

It's allready a start, i'm sure millions of people would be happy with that allready.
It would be a big event !

makobhawkin

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2003, 09:22:00 PM »

So currently, there is no simple browser to run on xbox?  I have only heard of Gentoox and that looks too complex for me.  Or is there any new browser that i havent yet read about.

windragz

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2003, 11:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (The unProfessional @ Jun 23 2003, 06:57 PM)
browser for the Xbox because it would be ALOT of work, and probably wouldn't be too useful to most people.

you are mostly right, but the concept behind a x-web browser is based on a web reader and not on a web surfer tool. A web reader will be useful for watch some video available on internet and read newspaper or whatever.

Btw, any xbox application is basically equal to a macromedia flash applet, so you have to render any single interaction and this aspect make the lines of code grow grow grow...explode  laugh.gif

I've a half idea and I'm investigating on this interesting and uncovered area. I hate linux and I'd like an indipendent application such xbmp in order to browse and read, maybe the new posts of this forum  smile.gif

Zedix

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2003, 10:56:00 AM »

pop.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 4