xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Internet Browser  (Read 384 times)

Sottilde

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2003, 11:00:00 PM »

However, I can't help but think that a web browser is extremely possible.  Can't we just use or create an *extremely* stripped down linux kernel that could run nothing but a browser or two?  (and perhaps an email client/irc client).  I'm sure it wouldn't be as hard as coding some D3D shiat.

shortstuff22090

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2003, 12:10:00 PM »

ya i agree, i was taking a look at damn small linux and i think that would be a good one to port to the xbox. all it would need is an XBE bootloader to load the kernel am i right... check it out

The unProfessional

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2003, 03:56:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

If you really really want it that bad, start digging through the linux source code, so you can see the mess for yourself.  

I'm not trying to roadblock your ingenuity here, but you need to understand what you're suggesting before you suggest it... know what i mean?

Two options:
1) Port mozilla, re-writing all low-level rendering code to D3D routines... lots of work
2) Currently, you must boot a full linux kernel.  Build a stripped-down linux kernel for the xbox, which loads nothing but the requirements for web surfing.  Well, you want to maintain full driver support, but somehow *remove* all security.  You want to support some hardware, but you don't want to worry about the unecessary hardware.  This, but not that... this, but not that, etc.... oh, and it has to work =]

Get my drift?  It's kind of a bitch.

here's the question to ask yourself.  Do either of the above tasks seem practical when you can already surf the web on your box?  You can... it just takes a while.  Is the speed increase worth months of work?  if you say Yes, that's good, I'm glad someone feels that way.  But most programmers are quite busy, so keep an eye out for one that's interested in investing the time.

Take care all

The unProfessional

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2003, 09:34:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

shortstuff22090

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2003, 08:50:00 AM »

hmm im gunna start working on getting damn small linux to work on the xbox. i downloaded it to try it and its kool, its really fast, has a basic web browser, email, and a console aim client. it has xmms and it runs fluxbox. its pretty cool, its only like 50 megs too.  any one interested in this?

BlaCkAdDa

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2003, 08:21:00 PM »

DSL is based on knoppix from memory.
First step is to understand the cloop methods it uses so you can add items to the distro... try playing around with that and adding and/or removing some parts on your pc... if you can do that we've got to first base.

second step would then tbe to find all the drivers/bits & pieces we need to add for xbox, then.... I think you can see where I'm going with this....

It might be easier to start with the older 'xbox linux live' release at that point though and try adding dillo or mozilla to that (can't remember if it 'xbll' had network support or not, but that may be the first hurdle) in theory I think this would be easier as it already boots and runs on xbox, though I'm not sure how we'll go with RAM on that.

shortstuff22090

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2003, 01:11:00 PM »

i believe there is a patch for the kernel source (kernel-2_4_20-0_7_0.patch.gz). im wondering if we can patch a normal kernel with this patch, then with the knoppix patch.. i dunno im not very good at linux, this is kinda my first linux project so work with me here.

shortstuff22090

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2003, 11:08:00 AM »

you can download it from kernel.org

Fardo123

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2003, 11:32:00 PM »

smile.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]