xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Internet Browser  (Read 376 times)

.:**:.

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2003, 04:40:00 PM »

Linux has a Internet Browser, AIM, IRC,FTP,and e-mail
and more.

BlaCkAdDa

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2003, 09:41:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's NOT on linux live cd though... I have had a play with this and don't recall seeing Mozilla or anything like that.

Swisha

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2003, 01:38:00 PM »

bah, who uses the internet anyway?!

Xega

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2003, 11:34:00 PM »

I looked into it and if someone can get a JVM with Swing support up and running on the xbox then a browser with HTML 3.2 support would be really really simple.

BlaCkAdDa

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2003, 06:01:00 PM »

blink.gif

zerowizard

• Recovered User
Internet Browser
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2003, 02:25:00 AM »

its not gonna happen, cuz i dont think anyone will wanna spend the time on it. ppl may claim to be making one, but they are lying.

onlyme

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2003, 08:20:00 AM »

QUOTE (cyberheater @ Sep 13 2003, 09:25 AM)
You could browse the web on the dreamcast and that was 5 years ago.  I'm sure someone will do it.  That for me would be a killer app.

ok fromeverything i have read and been told porting a browser to the xbox would be a pain in the ass, as i was told it took mozilla around 5 years to clean up the code alone.

and in response to the dreamcast post they were all top of the range coders with alot more resourses and funding available to them, im sure if someone could get the sponsorship to do something like this they would try.

BlaCkAdDa

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2003, 06:27:00 PM »

I still believe a cutback version of Linux that auto runs Mozilla would be fine,

You could edit a config file for your net settings PPoE, Gateway or direct connectoin and away you go, everyone is going to be on the same hardware platform, so it shouldnt' be too hard... hmmm maybe if someone could get DSL (Damn Small Linux) working on XBOX, this could be done easilly (or if someone is good with the cloop stuff they could go back to the XBOX Linux Live project that has been abandoned) I couldn't figure out how to add a prog to that cloop stuff... though I'm hoping once I actually get Linux running on my PC I'll have more hope

The unProfessional

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2003, 10:52:00 AM »

My argument against writing the browser for the Xbox is that it's more trouble than it's worth.  There's even a stronger argument against a VM.  Writing a Java VM from scratch is probably tougher than you're aware... study VMs a bit, and you'll see why.  Finding an open-source VM for another OS will provide minimal help, since the whole point of a VM is to create an abstraction layer that's runs cross-platform code, and thus is very dependent on OS specifics.

Trust me guys, I don't shoot down these browser ideas because I think it's fun.  If you want to try it, I'd love to see some attempts made at it - and I'd have alot of respect for anyone who got something going.  I'm just letting you know why you haven't seen it done yet.

If you're a programmer posting these ideas, why not make an attempt at it?  If it interests you, go for it!  That's why all of us are here... to do what we enjoy!

EDIT: Dreamcast also used a windows CE-based OS, yeah?  So it's a completely different task than writing a DX-based browser.  And most importantly, the xbox project has no financial support (as someone already pointed out)

normal01

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2003, 06:27:00 PM »

I can easily say, browsing on the TV just isn't that great after all !

The unProfessional

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2003, 07:00:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

Porting an existing browser (As pointed out before) is still a bitch.  All the rendering must be ported to D3D.  It's do-able... just need someone willing to invest the time.

Nothing in software is ever as easy as it may sometimes sound.  Shoot, people even complain about their first "hello world" app.

Bender_Unit_1

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2003, 07:49:00 PM »

wink.gif

NO! My poor screen! Why did I think if I lit my monitor afire, that it would light the thread on fire? why oh why of why....

-Bender

PS: just couldn't help myself with that one.  jester.gif

deveng

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2003, 08:17:00 AM »

What needs to be done is convert the xbox version of Linux in to some sort of static library.  Take out all the user,security, and other crap that is not needed.  Doing this would allow any application you write could use the Linux GUI.  When the application was run you would not even know Linux was running.  Removing all the unneeded crap should speed it up as well.

Mr. Tom

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2003, 02:34:00 AM »

im amazed nobody has brought this up: some people made reference to the dreamcast browser, but thats not a fair comparison; did anybody here own a dreamcast? you go to the store, buy the dreamcast, open the box, and see the "sega/at&t dreamcast web browser" it was made by sega for sega. for that to have been a fair comparison, there would have to be a xbox web browser made my MS, included with the xbox when you buy it.

that having been said, i started reading this thread just becuase i was sitting here thinking: "damn i wish i had a web browser i could use on my xbox without having to start linux"

why? because its something i dont have now.

shortstuff22090

• Archived User
Internet Browser
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2003, 05:38:00 PM »

laugh.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4