xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Xbox Live Alert!  (Read 872 times)

mckenn88

• Recovered User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2004, 12:51:00 PM »

naw i just booted off the orig disk. ive been doin that for like.......ever since the UDE came out n nothin happened before

eh.

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2004, 01:11:00 PM »

uhh.gif

eh.

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2004, 01:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (bikr @ Oct 20 2004, 01:02 PM - last part)
... then I'd say that they are doing harddrive scans..     =\

His setup was easily detectable as modded by a game or the XBL connection applet just "peeking" at the certificate version of the xboxdash.xbe (which isn't really a "harddrive scan" as such) eh.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2004, 01:31:00 PM »

smile.gif

EthanHunt_IMF

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2004, 02:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (DaddyJ @ Oct 20 2004, 03:34 PM)
We just need to make our own "LIVE" server software, and then tell m$ where they can go smile.gif

would just be the same as xlink kai or xbc, we can't offer d/l content like MS can...

seems like we need a cheap way of switching hd's for softmod.  Maybe a BFM bios that disables networking all together to play our backups.  who knows if game xbes will now have a call to the live servers.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2004, 02:14:00 PM »

QUOTE (Angerwound @ Oct 19 2004, 07:14 PM)
Some theories that have been come up with involve the scanning of the 'C' and possibly 'E' parition of the drive.

Hmmmm.

Scanning drive 'C' would certainly be possibly, as this is the operating system drive, and all the files that reside on drive 'C' originate from M$.

Scanning the other drives ('E' 'X','Y','Z') isn't really practical as a lot of files on these drives are generated from XBOX games (save game files, etc.), many of which allow you to enter your own usernames so there is no way M$ could know what the file contents should be.

(Sure they could check there’s no files on the root of E:\ - but that’s two seconds to correct.)

PedrosPad

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2004, 02:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (EthanHunt_IMF @ Oct 20 2004, 10:03 PM)
would just be the same as xlink kai or xbc, we can't offer d/l content like MS can...

Why can't it simply host previously downloaded XBL content, that can be FTPed onto the XBOX HDD?  Not legal, but is any of it?

QUOTE (EthanHunt_IMF @ Oct 20 2004, 10:03 PM)
Maybe a BFM bios that disables networking all together to play our backups.

Er, simply unplug the cable?  blink.gif

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2004, 02:36:00 PM »

I think they're just scanning game-saves, and if any of them aren't from retail games you're banned. Seems simple enough!

mckenn88

• Recovered User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2004, 02:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (bikr @ Oct 20 2004, 03:02 PM)
If you get a new eeprom , don't try live unless you spoof your mac at the router

how do u do that

Kthulu

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2004, 03:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (chilin_dude @ Oct 20 2004, 04:39 PM)
I think they're just scanning game-saves, and if any of them aren't from retail games you're banned. Seems simple enough!

actually, scanning 'xboxdash.xbe' and the font files seems alot simpler

Kthulu

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2004, 04:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (EthanHunt_IMF @ Oct 20 2004, 04:03 PM)
1. seems like we need a cheap way of switching hd's for softmod.
2. Maybe a BFM bios that disables networking all together to play our backups.
3.  who knows if game xbes will now have a call to the live servers.

1.  not a very 'soft' mod at that point, but sounds like a good precaution for any Live-loving modder to take...no matter which mod method they use...

2.  uh, x2-4980 and above come in BFM varieties.  4980 and above block XBL, even the BFM varieties in a soft-mod scenario, but the problem is...

3.  (see Pedro's solution) or never play from retail disc...always play from modded-state, using an XBL-blocking bios

of course, the REAL problem is that you actually do want to access XBL, but not get banned...your no. 1 is the best answer.

QUESTION:  are 8-10gb laptop hdds lockable?

EthanHunt_IMF

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2004, 05:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (PedrosPad @ Oct 20 2004, 04:25 PM)
Er, simply unplug the cable?  blink.gif

That would get really old really fast... I was just tossing some idea's out there...

According to an old Xbox Nation (the mag) article, an anonymous expert Xbox modder, who has tinkered with more than 2,000 consoles, says. “Still, it is possible MS could trace your use of the mod chip, since each Xbox is uniquely encoded with its own serial ID. If, by chance, some bored Live technician ran a diagnostics check, a foreign object—like a mod chip—would pop up, along with any bootlegged software you might have.

is this true? and is that where these bans are coming from?

2. uh, x2-4980 and above come in BFM varieties. 4980 and above block XBL, even the BFM varieties in a soft-mod scenario, but the problem is...

3. (see Pedro's solution) or never play from retail disc...always play from modded-state, using an XBL-blocking bios

I don't know much about how the XBL blocking works so the following hypothesis could be wrong...

While it does in fact block Live, the network connection still works.  So couldn't an xbe just contact another one of MS's server?  You go to run a system link game or even launch it, and the xbe says "Let me just upload my path 'f:\games\' and these 256 bytes (the eeprom)"

Kthulu

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »

QUOTE (EthanHunt_IMF @ Oct 20 2004, 07:52 PM)
1. According to an old Xbox Nation (the mag) article, an anonymous expert Xbox modder, who has tinkered with more than 2,000 consoles, says. “Still, it is possible MS could trace your use of the mod chip, since each Xbox is uniquely encoded with its own serial ID. If, by chance, some bored Live technician ran a diagnostics check, a foreign object—like a mod chip—would pop up, along with any bootlegged software you might have.

is this true? and is that where these bans are coming from?

2. I don't know much about how the XBL blocking works so the following hypothesis could be wrong...

While it does in fact block Live, the network connection still works.  So couldn't an xbe just contact another one of MS's server?  You go to run a system link game or even launch it, and the xbe says "Let me just upload my path 'f:\games\' and these 256 bytes (the eeprom)"

1.  i don't see what serialID and the mod-chip have to do with each other if the mod-chip is off.  this sounds like a load of bs/anti-mod propaganda...except for the part about detecting bootlegged software...if they scan the hdd.

2. i don't know much about the blocking either, but from my reading and personal testing observations, it is not simply blocking access to a particular server or IP address.  i believe XBL comms are initiated with a system/api call.  when the bios detects this system/api call, it reboots the xbox.  of course, a game developer could opt not to use this system/api call and write the code that handles XBL comms themselves, but i don't think there's enough piracy-paranoia there to motivate them to do that...in fact, i bet M$ would refuse to certify their game unless they used the M$ system/api call for XBL comms...

making a game that refuses to run unless it can at least say 'hello' to XBL isn't a viable anti-mod option.  if they did that, people without broadband or networked xboxes would be rather pissy...not good for the already bad M$ PR...

EthanHunt_IMF

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »

tongue.gif  biggrin.gif

John Hoek

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2004, 03:18:00 AM »

If this is checking with a non documented call is true, then we can easely detect this and verify.

- Just use a x2 live blocked bios.
- get a networksniffer (example ethereal for instance www.ethereal.com) and look at all xbox traffic on the networkinterface.
- start a Live game, but NOT use xbox live with it (the modchip in ON!).
 play single player for e few minutes.
- If at this stage there IS networkactivity from the XBOX, it is sure that there is a problem. the game uses undocumented calls which bypasses the protection..

You can also try live then with a live blocked bios . In principle NO activity musty be seen. If there is, then Yes, there's a problem.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15