xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Xbox Live Alert!  (Read 871 times)

Angerwound

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« on: October 19, 2004, 12:14:00 PM »

www.majornelson.com/blog/2004/10/xbox-live-security.html
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EE...ZFpAuUjEVQQ.php

If you want to be 100% LIVE Compatible, be sure to have nothing on the hard drive that the box wouldn't put their on it's own. (Hacked Gamesaves, Dashboards, Applications, Games, Exploits....). Also, don't be dumb and connect with a modified kernel/bios.

It seems that ever since the leak of Halo 2, MS have been doing some things to attack us modders. As we are unsure on the exact nature of these 'scans'; hundreds of people have been banned for reasons that wouldn't have warranted a ban previously.

Some theories that have been come up with involve the scanning of the 'C' and possibly 'E' parition of the drive. I'm unsure on what they are looking for exactly otherwise I'd specify. Another possible solution would be those people that have a swapped out 'xboxdash.xbe' file on 'C'. There is more than likely a checksum being done on the file. This is extremely dangerous to UDE/UXE users that use retail games for live purposes.

I don't believe them to be 'banning' large hard drives at the moment, otherwise there would have been a large amount more of people that would have encountered these bans already.

Anyhow, the purpose of this post is to inform and for users to take caution with what resides on their hard drive when they are communicating with the Live Network. If you have been banned or had your account terminated for reasons beyond your knowledge, look into the contents of your hard drive. If you desire more answers I invite you to contact '1-800-4MY-XBOX'. Let them know that you have been banned/terminated and want some answers. A few people that have been terminated have contacted tech support and have been told they are on a list that was sent down. This is about the most of the info they would provide. You will more than likely not get anywhere with it but you may uncover some info regarding this.

Good Luck!

This post has been edited by Angerwound on Nov 18 2004, 05:36 AM

EthanHunt_IMF

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »

Thanks for the heads up... Fortunately I use a virgin box for live, so MS can go to hell.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 02:13:00 PM »

QUOTE (EthanHunt_IMF @ Oct 19 2004, 02:48 PM)
so MS can go to hell.

Amen.

thatboywade

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:51:00 PM »

laugh.gif  HAHA I WOULD LIKE TO SECOND THAT HAHA

thehunter1320

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 04:20:00 PM »

any ideas if they ban people who HAVE NOT created XBL accounts, but plan to in the future?
(i have UDE, planning on uninstalling it later when Halo 2 comes out to play on a shiny new XBL starter kit)

EDIT: i have a theory... maybe they are banning XBL accounts on IPs that were reported to MS as downloaders of Halo 2?

This post has been edited by thehunter1320 on Oct 19 2004, 11:27 PM

mckenn88

• Recovered User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 06:07:00 PM »

so say i got banned and it said xbox live cant be reached im pretty f***ed in the @$$ cause they banned my ip, or would a new eeprom fix this

This post has been edited by mckenn88 on Oct 20 2004, 01:14 AM

heinrich

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »

Everytime they attempt to connect to the live network it will give a NETWORK ERROR rather than a "Modified XBOX Error". The network is definately not a problem on his end either.

this is not unusual or new.. the xbox is banned..

Angerwound

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 06:19:00 PM »

The difference is that a fresh eeprom doesn't fix the problem.

mckenn88

• Recovered User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 06:23:00 PM »

well does anyone kno what does.....new box or is it the ip they ban

Kthulu

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 06:49:00 PM »

i wonder if they were banned because a Halo2 game-save folder was found on their E drive?

make sure that's gone, then try another new epprom...???  or better still, format all partitions, reload from pre-ban/pre-halo2 backup, flash a new eeprom, release/renew a new IP from ISP, create a new account...???

this is why i said to myself 'stupid f*cker' as soon as saw the headline that Halo2 was leaked.  even if they aren't banning based on halo2 files being on the xbox, the halo2 leak was like your little brother poking a bee's nest...it doesn't matter who did it, those bees are pissed and they will sting anyone they suspect had anything to do with it...

P.S.  maybe the day that 'Hulkdash' becomes useful has gotten a little closer...

This post has been edited by Kthulu on Oct 20 2004, 01:57 AM

DaddyJ

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 07:32:00 PM »

I would image the MAC address is whut there banning, as changing the EEPROM wouldnt change the MAC address.

MAC Address = The Unique Serial # of the Network Card.

Angerwound

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 07:36:00 PM »

The MAC Address is actually stored inside the eeprom. This is what is 'normally' banned. That is why people can easily unban themselves with a new eeprom.

JimmyGoon

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 06:52:00 PM »

http://www.majornels...e-security.html

Apparently somehow people were getting past the bios checks?

The_Truth

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »

here is also another reason people are getting banned...wink.gif
and i quote from the gamespot article..."Worse, users whose GamerTag user name is listed in their user profile "risk having your Xbox Live account's ability to play Halo 2 crippledÂ…"
gamespot article

Edit: couldnt a mac address be changed through linux?

Thehebrewhammer

• Archived User
Xbox Live Alert!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »

So would I be safe for live if I had Itools install Ude and evox, then upgraded evox through the slayer disc, then went into the Itools menu, and removed UDE?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15