xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Advancements On Cps3 Emulation  (Read 724 times)

akarnid

• Archived User
Advancements On Cps3 Emulation
« on: June 10, 2007, 04:31:00 AM »

Well according to http://haze.mameworld.info/2007/06/09/hmmmmmmmm/ someone has managed to decrypt a CPS3 ROM for the first time, hopefully leading to inclusion of CPS3 emulation in MAME & related projects at last.  

Now I may be a little bit rusty, the last time I thought about this was over 3 years ago, but is the Xbox powerful enough to manage CPS3 emulation?  Or is it completetly out of the question?

Andrew_Roy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(akarnid @ Jun 10 2007, 07:07 AM) View Post

is the Xbox powerful enough to manage CPS3 emulation?

I'm going to go ahead and say probably not. Technically, I don't know what it would take since it hasn't happened yet but I'm betting I won't even be able to pull it off well on my pc.

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPS3

* Main CPU (conjecture): Hitachi SH-2 at 20 MHz (possibly two)
    * Storage:
          o SCSI CD-ROM drive
          o RAM (variable amount)
          o Flash ROM: 8 x 16 MiB
    * Total on-screen colors: 4096
    * Resolution, pixels: 512x384
    * Known games on this hardware: 6

Looks possible though, i mean two 20mhz cpu's?
i'm sure if you used decrypted romsets to take away the onthefly decrypting it should be possible.

then again i'm not a programmer.

BonusJz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »

Emulation CPS3 on Xbox - that will be something .
I hope that authors of FBAXXX will put special attention to this  wink.gif

Visper

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(VampX @ Jun 10 2007, 03:25 PM) *

Looks possible though, i mean two 20mhz cpu's?
i'm sure if you used decrypted romsets to take away the onthefly decrypting it should be possible.

If you mean 4 or 5 fps then yes, it's possible.

BonusJz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 01:07:00 AM »

Posted by: Haze at June 10, 2007 12:59 am

It uses an SH2 as the main CPU.

Other games that use SH2s as the Main CPU include

Strikers 1945 II / III
Hot Gimmick
Captain America + Avengers in the Galactic Storm

all of which run very well.

Providing they don’t push the CPU too hard then I think they will run at a reasonable speed on current PCs. If not I’m sure ElSemi will put together an emulator of his own using his recompiling CPU core and they’ll certainly be fast in that.

Strikers 1945 II works great in FbaXXX and III in Mameox128

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 05:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(Visper @ Jun 11 2007, 03:25 AM) View Post

If you mean 4 or 5 fps then yes, it's possible.

Thank you for your detailed explanation as to why it would run 4 to 5 fps,
i mean some people would just say "IT WOULD RUN SLOW"
but you.. you went out of your way to actually explain why you believe that it would run slow.

sadly that part did not seem to make it on my internets, perhaps you'd like to do a repost?

althena

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »

Ooooooh, best news I read in a long time  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I also want to be optimistic and believe it should be possible to play these games on the Xbox. I mean if some games look better in Surreal 64 than on a real N64 there must be a way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

But I am also sure it will take at least a few month before we will see something like that happening but at least now a very important step has been taken (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Visper

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(VampX @ Jun 11 2007, 01:57 PM) View Post

Thank you for your detailed explanation as to why it would run 4 to 5 fps,
i mean some people would just say "IT WOULD RUN SLOW"
but you.. you went out of your way to actually explain why you believe that it would run slow.

Posted by Haze (yes, the guy who is coding the MAME driver):

fwiw the CURRENT speed is about 120% on this 2.5Ghz system. That’s without the sprites, backgrounds etc. tho so I expect it to drop when/if those get emulated.

When I said 4 or 5 fps I meant 2 or 3  tongue.gif

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(Visper @ Jun 12 2007, 11:20 PM) View Post

Posted by Haze (yes, the guy who is coding the MAME driver):
When I said 4 or 5 fps I meant 2 or 3  tongue.gif

Okay well done, now next time don't forget to actually write down or link to your source.  tongue.gif

Auximines

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »

I don't think there's going to be much excitement over CPS3; It's got SF III and it's upgrades, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and it's upgrade, and Red Earth.  Basically three games... not exactly the treasure trove of cool stuff that CPS2 had.

It will be nice to finally play Red Earth though.

stywall

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 01:53:00 AM »

Yeah that shit isn't possible. I don't even theres a CPS3 emulator for PC, and if there was, and it ran slow on a current gen PC, then theres no way a CPS3 emulator would run on an Xbox.

enderandrew

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(stywall @ Jun 13 2007, 09:29 AM) View Post

Yeah that shit isn't possible. I don't even theres a CPS3 emulator for PC, and if there was, and it ran slow on a current gen PC, then theres no way a CPS3 emulator would run on an Xbox.

Did you read the first post?

Well according to http://haze.mameworl...6/09/hmmmmmmmm/ someone has managed to decrypt a CPS3 ROM for the first time, hopefully leading to inclusion of CPS3 emulation in MAME & related projects at last.

If a CPS3 ROM was just decrypted for the very first time, how likely is it that a fully-functional CPS3 emulator exists?

Let us sit and ponder that one for a while.  Survey says...

IPB Image

Holy freaking-unlikely, Batman!

The hardware is fairly old and not horribly impressive.  It isn't beyond all hope that an optimized dedicated CPS3 emulator could run on the XBox at playable speeds (perhaps with some frame skip or some sacrifices).

However, given that a project like MAME aims primarily for perfect emulation first, if the code is included in MAME then there is no way it will run on the XBox at playable speeds.

kerobaros

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »

I think it's safe to say, for several reasons, CPS3 emulation will never be a reality on the Xbox.

1. Current XDK-hosted ports of MAME have stopped at the 0.84 branch, with slight updates to various drivers (neogeo.c for sure, and I think a couple others).  If CPS3 emulation makes it into MAME anytime soon, I think it's a safe assumption that it will require a newer version of MAME to run, and the odds of that being ported to the Xbox at such a late date are slim, to say the least.

2. The dual SH-2 is the same set of processors as what is used in the Saturn.  As I recall, their architectures are somewhat similar, as well.  Now, I am not at all saying that the CPS3 and the Saturn are the same thing, as the Saturn has a much more advanced video subsystem, but it is safe to say that emulation of the CPS3 and the Saturn will proceed at similar paces, and require similar host systems to run at a decent speed.  Current Saturn emulators, if I recall correctly, require a host system of at least two to two-and-a-half gigahertz, along with a gig of RAM or so, to maintain decent framerates, where decent approximates 30.  Taking into effect that the Xbox is a 733MHz Pentium 3 or Celeron, and only has 64MB of RAM.. doesn't look too good.

The only way Warzard and the other CPS3 exclusives will ever run on the Xbox is to do the following:
1. Wait for MAME to fully support the CPS3.
2. Get said build of MAME to run on Linux for the Xbox.
3. Hope for framerates higher than one every 30 seconds.

In other words: Not going to happen without a hell of a miracle.

enderandrew

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »

I imagine an update to Final Burn Alpha is more likely to happen, and more like to run at decent speeds than an updated MAME.

And part of the problem with Saturn emulation is that it has some crazy number of chips, like seven that you have to emulate.

CPS3 does not.  So it isn't a fair comparison.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6