xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Advancements On Cps3 Emulation  (Read 722 times)

Diddy41

• Archived User
Advancements On Cps3 Emulation
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2007, 02:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(kerobaros @ Jun 15 2007, 11:27 PM) View Post

I think it's safe to say, for several reasons, CPS3 emulation will never be a reality on the Xbox.

1. Current XDK-hosted ports of MAME have stopped at the 0.84 branch, with slight updates to various drivers (neogeo.c for sure, and I think a couple others).  If CPS3 emulation makes it into MAME anytime soon, I think it's a safe assumption that it will require a newer version of MAME to run, and the odds of that being ported to the Xbox at such a late date are slim, to say the least.

2. The dual SH-2 is the same set of processors as what is used in the Saturn.  As I recall, their architectures are somewhat similar, as well.  Now, I am not at all saying that the CPS3 and the Saturn are the same thing, as the Saturn has a much more advanced video subsystem, but it is safe to say that emulation of the CPS3 and the Saturn will proceed at similar paces, and require similar host systems to run at a decent speed.  Current Saturn emulators, if I recall correctly, require a host system of at least two to two-and-a-half gigahertz, along with a gig of RAM or so, to maintain decent framerates, where decent approximates 30.  Taking into effect that the Xbox is a 733MHz Pentium 3 or Celeron, and only has 64MB of RAM.. doesn't look too good.
The only way Warzard and the other CPS3 exclusives will ever run on the Xbox is to do the following:
1. Wait for MAME to fully support the CPS3.
2. Get said build of MAME to run on Linux for the Xbox.
3. Hope for framerates higher than one every 30 seconds.
In other words: Not going to happen without a hell of a miracle.

Yea, your entire theory is debunked with a simple update to FBA...

In the words of famous Billy Madison 'Any more brain busters?'

TMaul

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 05:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(enderandrew @ Jun 16 2007, 05:16 AM) *

I imagine an update to Final Burn Alpha is more likely to happen, and more like to run at decent speeds than an updated MAME.

A version of FBA that supports CPS3 is very, very unlikely. And even if one did magically appear I would be very amazed if the Xbox has enough power to run it full speed. The 360 on the other hand . .

Visper

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »

More updates from Haze:

Just a word of warning, you’re probably going to need a pretty beefy system to run it well.. It’s down to 85-90% speed on my Athlon XP 2400+ now that we have sound + palette, and I expect the rest of the video to be quite demanidng too (4-5 tilemaps, and zooming sprites, with linezoom / scroll etc. on the tilemaps)

And, there is no way you can emulate CPS3 with only 64 MB of RAM

This post has been edited by Visper: Jun 16 2007, 03:03 PM

nes6502

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(Visper @ Jun 16 2007, 03:38 PM) *

More updates from Haze:
And, there is no way you can emulate CPS3 with only 64 MB of RAM

Perhaps you could with virtual memory (like how Mame and FBAXXX do it). But that really wouldn't address CPU requirements.

This post has been edited by nes6502: Jun 16 2007, 03:13 PM

Visper

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(nes6502 @ Jun 16 2007, 04:47 PM) *

Perhaps you could with virtual memory (like how Mame and FBAXXX do it). But that really wouldn't address CPU requirements.

Well, some good news:

ElSemi (Nebula's coder) is working on a CPS3 emu for Windows and he gets 400/450 fps on a 3.2 Ghz machine  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

click

enderandrew

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(nes6502 @ Jun 16 2007, 03:47 PM) View Post

You can't compare easily PC performance to XBox performance due to the fact that on the XBox you are dedicated to running one process as opposed to having an OS that is intercepting every process and multitasking.

It may end up that CPS3 emulation isn't possible at really playable speeds.

However, I still have yet to see definitive proof that it is beyond reason.

GogoAckman

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 12:48:00 AM »

Let's wait first for a perfect PC emu to come out before rushing into early conclusions.

From what I saw on system16.com, the machine require less RAM than a neogeo, but more cpu power, and probably some decryption/decompression for the tile rendering.

And as far as I know, elsemi's code won't go public like nebula, so yes it would be the best to do a cps3 emu for xbox, but I am pretty sure we'll be obliged to begin with mame sources smile.gif .

Wait and see, but it sure is great to see a great step forward in emulation (not that it was dead, but being able of emulating 80's mahjong games wasn't that exciting).

neoryu

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »

I am very happy to know that Gogo is interested in adding CPS3 support to FBAXXX at some point.   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

FBAXXX is my favorite emulator on the box whether the CPS3 is emulated perfectly or not.

irishwhip

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »

well apparently, the emulator(by elsemi) is in the wild now. and it runs on lowly pentium 3 machines blink.gif

akarnid

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »

Well, nice news if the emu can run on low-spec machines, despite all the naysayers saying otherwise.

But if the code won't be available then the uptake of CPS3 will be slow for us Xbox emu users.

BonusJz

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »

ITS COMMING  muhaha.gif

IPB Image

1Emulation
SPEKSNK

zenstrom

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »

From the SPEKSNK post, it's mentioned that the xbox's 733mhz processor is just enough to run the games at 60fps with no frameskip, but that it's pushing it to its limit.  If I understand right MMX optimizations had to be coded for full speed.  It's not finished yet (there are bugs--SF3 and Warzard crash during their intros, which sucks, since they're the two CPS-3 games I enjoy most) but the others are 100% playable.  Great news.

Andrew_Roy

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »

Hooray for being wrong.

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »

Hooray for being right!

Mad01

• Archived User