xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Problem With Dev System  (Read 760 times)

Agent ME

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« on: November 08, 2005, 06:35:00 PM »

I finally recieved my Xbox Debug Kit I bought off Ebay. Big problem now.

I boot it up. MS Dashboard comes up. Appears through software as an unmodded xbox. Only 3 saves:
SID3 Mechassault: Run Linux
And 2 "Yourself!Fitness" saves. Did someone attempt to softmod this xbox?

I try and think of ways to tell if its modded - and I think to test a burned SlaYer's disc and several retail (from-store) games on it. I get dirty disc error on some, and the "May need DVD Playback kit to watch DVD Movies" even when its a game I'm putting in. Ok, so it's got a faulty DVD drive.

So - how can I tell if this is a real dev system? Is there something on the inside other than a pin-header which could've been put in by someone who got it that would reveal if it is a dev kit? Any way to figure out what the debug IP is to contact if it is even running a debug BIOS?

I know another way to check - Try and access XBL, and it says it could connect to xbox live from the network settings menu, but I don't want to try it with an account and a game which may ruin my account (it would flag the account if I do get the Xbox Modified Console Error").

PS: Is this the right forum for this? lol.

PPS: I haven't yet opened this thing up myself.

Alex548

• Recovered User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »

I believe Dev kits also had a different Nvidia chip.

The retail motherboards had a chip labeled MCPX and the dev kits had some other label (possibly MCP X or just MCP) Not exactly sure, but take a look at the Nvidia chip and let us know what it says.

Agent ME

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 06:49:00 PM »

There is this picture from the ebay thing but not sure if you can tell from that. I'll open it up in a minute and look myself.

If its not a debug but still has an LPC header, I think I'll throw on a cheap mod chip, load it with a debug BIOS, get a better DVD drive (or just borrow the samsung from my other xbox when I absolutely need one in) and make myself a new debug kit. Just no extra RAM for me unless I magically get ub3r-soldering skills.

Agent ME

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »

I've opened it up. Things look a bit different than I'm used to - but I'm used to opening my 1.6 xbox, and the seller said this was 1.4.

I am NOT able to confirm the version of the xbox motherboard using the tutorial from the main page of xbox-scene. I am brought to here after following the tut. Conexant Video chip, No fan on GPU, 2 rows of pins on the power connecter. I'll check the serial number later - xbox is halfway apart with DVD drive still connected and about impossible to turn over in the current state. This appears to be a 1.2 or 1.3 by the tutorial.

Does anyone have some pictures of what the motherboard of a 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 look like so I can compare to this xbox?

Also the hard drive is... different. Thin, with mainly white sticker saying it is a Seagate Model ST310014ACE.  16,383 CYL - 16 HDS - 63 Sect - LBA 20,005,650. Anyone know what that means?

I'm confirming there IS a pin header installed on the LPC. It is missing one of the pins though, the left, second one from front of xbox, pin. I remember on my 1.6 xbox I had to remove 2 pins on the pinheader before I installed my X3. I guess its something like that.

Now for the NVidia chip. It says exactly on it:
nVIDIA
MCPX X2
FA9025 . 1A 0240D1
S TAIWAN

fghjj

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »

See if it has 2 or 4 mem chips.

Agent ME

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »

It has 4 chips I assumed were memory - they all said SAMSUNG 337 and some other longer number that I can't remember but they all said the same number. I initially thought that meant 128 mb of RAM, but then I saw a lo-res pic of the inside of a normal xbox that looked like it had 4, so I told myself it could be any size or not mean anything.

Pikkon

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »

You have a debug kit for sure as you said the MCPX chip is a X2.
Like in this pic.
user posted image
Retail xbox's have X3.
Does it boot up the XDK dashboard.But all in all you got a very good deal.

Agent ME

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »

No, I get an MS Dashboard. And the DVD drive is broken (can't read any discs) so no easy way to check if it is running the debug BIOS (I would put in a SlaYer's disc to check, but the thing doesn't read discs). Maybe I can take the SamSung drive from my other modded xbox and put it in this xbox and test. DVD drives don't have any sorts of marriages like Hard drives to the xbox do they?

Okay, I'll tell you my results with the SlaYer's disc when I do that tommorrow or whenever.

Now if it reads the SlaYer's disc, that means its using the debug BIOS. So if that happens, I connect FTP to the xbox, check the files, and put the needed Xbox-side XDK on?

And if I use DVD2XBOX, will it show the 128 MB RAM at the bottom?

Also, the Hard drive is a 10gb. Is that normal for dev kits? I'd think they'd have like 20gb HD's.

Also, any other chips I should take a look at to help confirm this xbox as a dev kit?

haza55

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 03:24:00 AM »

1. Check the MCPX
2. That is a v1.5 power supply i think
3. check under the motherboard for more ram chips
4. yes they come with an lpc preinstalled
5. they say development kit on the front or Debug Kit
6. The case is clear dark green for debug or clear for dev with a higher case

haza55

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 03:26:00 AM »

try running the xdk recovory app on ur pc with the recovey disk

Pikkon

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 03:53:00 AM »

Ok your looking at your debug kit as a modded retail xbox.There not the
same in alot of ways.Thats why your disc are not booting up.There are
tools available to do so.I would suggest finding infomation a dev and debug
kits before posting.Like on here.Try putting a audio cd in your drive and
it should work.But you said it boots the retail dashboard.It can only be
two things.One would be that someone used the recovery disc and
selected the retail dash,or you have a beta live debug kit.
Which is meant for live beta testing.And if you have one of thoses
you can do a whole lot with it at all except live beta test games.
But one way to find out is too get the recovery disc.If it boots up
than you have a debug kit.If not than you have a beta live debug kit.

Agent ME

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 04:03:00 PM »

So I need to get one of those recovery discs?

And I was pretty sure a dev kit was a lot like a modded xbox just with a few more things like more RAM and the background debug TSR-like thing that lets things like Xbox Neighboorhood connect. Is there somewhere here I can read up a lot more things about it?

Also - would a dev kit boot a SlaYer's disc? I don't see why it wouldn't.

And what other differences are there between a Live beta kit and a real debug kit?

Agent ME

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »

Also I read of a hack to let debug xbox use retail games. How would I do this after I restore the XDK?

Agent ME

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »

Sorry for triple post, but I put in an audio CD, and it played fine and was able to copy to hard drive (with MS Dash built-in feature). I'm still trying to get a debug kit recovery disc, but is there anything else I can do?

Can I use xISO and burn a disc with quake2x's default_devkit.xbe and see if it plays that?

Agent ME

• Archived User
Problem With Dev System
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »

Also, I did an IP scan, and the xbox is for sure not using any debug software with an IP of 192.168.0.x (I used that because I got the system with network settings set to 192.168.0.2, so I thought it'd make sense if the debug IP (if it is running) would be on the same thing).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5