xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: OpenDash  (Read 1071 times)

DaddyJ

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 07:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(PedrosPad)
(What I know and you don't is we're hoping you'll choose to contribute yet another GUI for a new soon-to-be-released XBOX command lne utility.  tongue.gif )

Can you elaborate on this a little?

Edit by Pedro: Wait and see  smile.gif

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 11:07:00 AM »

this really isn't my area but what if we could get python scripts running? Kinda like xbmc? this would make added FTP and new features eaiser.. Just a thought.

As for a linux kernal launching XBE's will never happen.. The linux kernal doesn't support it and won't because it could really hurt the xbox-linux team (leagally).

Dai_UK

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »

smile.gif

I can confirm that ldots linux used in his uxe installer has tty AND ftp

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 04:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(Dai_UK @ Feb 10 2005, 10:02 PM)
smile.gif

d0wnlab

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 08:31:00 PM »

smile.gif )

Networking is the biggest roadblock, one thats faced by all legal alternatives (sans linux but again it's not suited for this really) to the XDK.  the openXDK input handling issue is the second biggest.

i don't know if the openXDK also is supported by every bios yet, but it's a lot better as of 0.06 (works with xecuter).

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »

what do you think about my python idea? Stated eariler in the thread.. Make a python reader outta ASM or C (would require openXDK) but as long as it could read python we could easily add fuction to it.. Base it on the way that XBMC did it.. Then port the code to openXDK?

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 01:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(Keo-Keo @ Feb 10 2005, 06:13 PM)
As for a linux kernal launching XBE's will never happen.. The linux kernal doesn't support it.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 02:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(d0wnlab @ Feb 11 2005, 03:37 AM)
yeah, linux doesn't really work because its it's own kernel and thus isn't built to interoperate with XBEs.  However until networking works, one could make a dash that can boot a mini linux distro that has ftp server.  Then it's still functional as a legal networked dash just not as nicely integrated as an XDK based dash.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 02:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(d0wnlab @ Feb 11 2005, 03:37 AM)
Personally I'd much rather use the openXDK than freeXDK based on the speed of development and support currently from the authors.  While edwardaux is travelling for three months, I'm sure when he gets back momentum will be in full swing to port networking (as long as we get rid of all the other things on his to do list smile.gif )

DaddyJ

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2005, 08:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(PedrosPad)
(And XBMC would make a fine 'Open' Dash).  Maybe this would be a better direction of effort?  Opinions?

tongue.gif  beerchug.gif  tongue.gif

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2005, 10:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(PedrosPad @ Feb 11 2005, 08:36 AM)
Edit: The posts from more Linux-familiar people above imply that I may be underestimating the difficulty of this.  I’m keen to understand why.  My thinking is even if the Linux kernel replaced a ram shadow copy of the true XBOX Kernel (unsure  unsure.gif ), the original ROM based copy would still be assessable somewhere in memory (equally unsure  unsure.gif ).  Can’t the XBELaunch app (written to be self supporting and not rely on the Linux Kernel) simply restore the XBOX Kernel to its rightful location, and then use it to quickboot the XBE?  dry.gif  The XBOX hardware would have already been initialised by the XBOX retail kernel the XBOX booted up with.

d0wnlab

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »

Lots of things here..

the Linux thing:
I bet computationally it can be done, I mean.. the linux booter replaces the NT kernel with cromwell, so this is just the opposite, except.. I have the feeling that if it can, the linux kernel will protect against cromwell being overwritten. However, iirc the xbox doesn't have hardware protected memory support (or is it just that it isn't turned on by default?  i mean the linux kernel does something to protect processes from each other, and protected memory is virtually the only way to do that efficiently).  If you can write to kernelspace in linux then you can do it. You very well might be sheltered from doing this.  If not, then you could replace the kernel in memory, set the XBOX into whatever state it needs to be in, and call the kernel functions to boot an XBE.

As for the hardware already being initialized, not really.. it will be set into a different state when you boot into linux, so you'll have to be doing *other stuff* (completely unsure here)

That's all out of my reach I'm afraid.. low-level programming like that is still out of my reach.

the XBMC thing:
XBMC core is based on mplayer, which has an SDL driver.  However right now newlib is lacking some low-level libc calls that a lot of the assembly routines attempt to call (I've tried compiling).  This is an eventual goal but some signifigant work will be needed to get it working.  However compiling mplayer = being able to play the movies xbmc supports.  All the application development put into xbmc would have to be redone at whatever level we'd want to implement it.

the python thing:
We could get (possibly) a python interpreter working but it wouldn't add networking support if that was what you were insinuating.. we need low level networking support.

PedrosPad I think you missed my concept a little bit.  My idea was a normal dash that can boot applications written in openXDK, that comes with a seperate app that boots a minilinux distro so one can get an ftp server running too.  You'd have to reboot to get back into the dash and run games, but it's an idea that would allow people to ftp to their xbox, and run a dash, that's legit, and doesn't involve some level of new features in the openXDK or a new linux->NT kernel hack.  It can be done with today's technology.  It's a compromise but there's nothing stopping it from being done today.

replicating the MS XDK API calls: BAD IDEA.  They could legally go after us for this.  Please don't do it.  Feel free to make new APIs and build bigger code, but replicating their APIs can be taken as a hostile action.  As long as we stay completely in our own world (sans xboxkrnl.h, but that's all reverse engineered) we stay out of trouble.  Maybe make something that works _similiar_ so that code porting is easy, but make the same API calls.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(d0wnlab)
replicating the MS XDK API calls: BAD IDEA.  They could legally go after us for this.  Please don't do it.  Feel free to make new APIs and build bigger code, but replicating their APIs can be taken as a hostile action.

Agreed!!

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(d0wnlab @ Feb 11 2005, 06:36 PM)
the Linux thing:

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(DaddyJ @ Feb 11 2005, 06:51 PM)
QUOTE(d0wnlab)
replicating the MS XDK API calls: BAD IDEA.  They could legally go after us for this.  Please don't do it.  Feel free to make new APIs and build bigger code, but replicating their APIs can be taken as a hostile action.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9