xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: OpenDash  (Read 1081 times)

kennelbound

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »

DCMA states that anything which prohibits copy protection software/hardware/etc to operate is illegal.  That's why, in the US and anywhere that has DCMA-like laws it is illegal to do anything with your xbox which would allow it to run unmodified code.  Including exploits.

This is only as far as I understand the law.  I am not a lawyer, so I could be mistaken.

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2005, 12:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(kennelbound @ Mar 19 2005, 11:17 PM)
DCMA states that anything which prohibits copy protection software/hardware/etc to operate is illegal.  That's why, in the US and anywhere that has DCMA-like laws it is illegal to do anything with your xbox which would allow it to run unmodified code.  Including exploits.

d0wnlab

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap12.html#1201

(f) Reverse Engineering. - (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a)(1)(A), a person who has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer program may circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a particular portion of that program for the sole purpose of identifying and analyzing those elements of the program that are necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, and that have not previously been readily available to the person engaging in the circumvention, to the extent any such acts of identification and analysis do not constitute infringement under this title.

my interpretation: to run homebrew software ("an independently created computer program.. that have not previously been readily available to the person engaging in the circumvention") you "may circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a particular portion of that program".

So modding to play LEGAL homebrew games would be legal.  (since only in legal games do " not constitute infringement under this title") .  So, really, by creating an openXDK dash and games, we are actually turning the modding of xboxes from an illegal thing to a legal thing (aside from running linux, running any XDK based software was illegal).

Not to be rude, but let's quote the DMCA from now on to back up what we say about the DMCA.  I'm not saying this to be mean kennelbound (or Keo-Keo), but truthfully most of us are unsure of precisely what the DMCA says and only by quoting it will this conversation have merit.

kennelbound

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »

Man, I just got served.

:-)

Thanks for the correction.  Now if I could only get working USB...

Keo-Keo

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2005, 11:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(d0wnlab @ Mar 20 2005, 12:18 PM)
straight from the horses mouth: (DMCA section 1201(f)) - exceptions.

d0wnlab

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(Keo-Keo @ Mar 21 2005, 07:00 AM)
I do agree but your talking about reverse engineering while i was talking about modding.. Which has little to do with reverse engineering.. To run the unsiged code from the expoit wasn't created from reverse engineered code (i don't belive)..

Carcharius

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2005, 06:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(TMaul @ Mar 22 2005, 10:13 PM)
Slightly OT, but is there an IRC channel for the openxdk?

d0wnlab

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2005, 11:43:00 PM »

smile.gif )
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]