xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: OpenDash  (Read 1082 times)

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« on: February 09, 2005, 03:20:00 AM »

wink.gif )

I thought I’d start a thread to gather ideas/comments/suggestions on this.

In order to be legal, any OpenDash can’t  be built using the M$ XDK, thus must be built with OpenXDK, Free-XDK, or simply NASM.

A minimum requirement for an XBOX dashboard is to allow the user to select and launch XBEs.  But is this enough to be of any use?  I think most people expect a Dashboard to contain an FTP server also as a minimum.  Since none of the non-M$ XDKs above support networking, this is a challenge.

I’ve read a passing note that SDL does have some networking support – but I’m not sure if this applies to the XBOX port.  Anyone know?

Is anyone able to suggest any open source resources that may aid this project?

One alternative idea is to use a lightweight Linux, with FATX support.  I know ldots Linux based gamesav installers contained a TTY interface, did it also include any FTP support?

Personally, I’ve not seen an XBOX-Linux that can launch XBEs, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

Just thoughts biggrin.gif

Angerwound

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 07:50:00 AM »

tongue.gif

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 09:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(TMaul @ Feb 9 2005, 03:33 PM)
I have currently only got as far as starting work on a simple framebuffer based graphics lib and thats about it.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 10:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Angerwound)
Could this be another of Pedros infamous threads that will eventually lead to another great project/discovery?  tongue.gif

I sure do hope so.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 11:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(DaddyJ @ Feb 9 2005, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE(Angerwound)
Could this be another of Pedros infamous threads that will eventually lead to another great project/discovery?  tongue.gif

d0wnlab

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »

I've been planning on doing this with the openXDK.  Last month I ported a number of libraries to the openXDK that will help in the development of a dash.  Unfortunately there is currently a USB input problem with the openXDK limiting further advancement until it's figured out.  Anyone well versed in USB low-level HID development please PM me or post in Development and I'll point the problem your way.

Currently no networking support is available, but it's on the openXDK maintainer (edwardaux)'s todo list.  You'll notice that a dash is also on that list but I think I can beat him to the punch on that one since he's gone until end of March.

If we fix the input bug I'm planning on doing an unofficial binary openXDK release combining that bugfix, c++ support, and the libraries I've ported.  At that point I think a dash can be developed that has good support sans networking.  As soon as networking is available I'll add that too.

I am however a fulltime university student and so my time is both limited and sporatic.

TMaul

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »

I've got something that scans a given path for default.xbes working ok with the OpenXDK. I was going to take a look at writing a menu system next but now I think it might be worth looking at the input problem. I am working on two other projects tonight but I will be able to find enough time to have a little play with the usb code.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(d0wnlab @ Feb 9 2005, 07:19 PM)
Unfortunately there is currently a USB input problem with the openXDK limiting further advancement until it's figured out.

d0wnlab

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 08:42:00 PM »

unfortunately I haven't been able to port the much cleaner USB libs from free-xdk to openxdk.  Nor have I gotten freexdk up and running in order to replace openxdk with it.  However I am thinking about trying this again since the usb libs in freexdk are a proper usb lib ported, whereas in openxdk it's uncommented hack and slash code.

One thing is obvious though: we need to collaborate on this design.  There's like five people here who want to work on this, we should divvy up some tasks and get things working.  I opt "not head developer", too many things on the go and I'd prolly let you all down until i have more time (thinking May-ish prolly)

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(d0wnlab @ Feb 10 2005, 03:48 AM)
Nor have I gotten freexdk up and running in order to replace openxdk with it.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 09:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(PedrosPad)
I'll have a go at a "Hello World" sample app ASAP (aka. next few days).

Thats where I started smile.gif

I'd join any collaberations going on for this project, as stated the dash only needs to support
XBE launching & a FTP server to be useful for distribution purposes.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 03:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(DaddyJ @ Feb 10 2005, 04:44 AM)
as stated the dash only needs to support

TMaul

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 05:40:00 AM »

I've managed to get the USB code from cromwell to build as a lib under Openxdk. I have some family commitments over the next couple of days but hopefully I can find enough time to make some test code to see if we can actually get it working.

DaddyJ

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 07:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(TMaul)
I've managed to get the USB code from cromwell to build as a lib under Openxdk. I have some family commitments over the next couple of days but hopefully I can find enough time to make some test code to see if we can actually get it working.

Find it in your heart to share, I'd be glad to run a few tests.....

Hardcoded is easier as first, but if you plan to use a config file, we'd need to do that first.

FTP server in general is not hard to code. I have a few projects going on at the moment, but plan to start looking into this a little harder as soon as 'Another GUI' is released to the public.

PedrosPad

• Archived User
OpenDash
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 07:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(DaddyJ @ Feb 10 2005, 02:07 PM)
I have a few projects going on at the moment, but plan to start looking into this a little harder as soon as 'Another GUI' is released to the public.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9