xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: X-ecuter2.2 Pro Modchip Install -  (Read 257 times)

vidgms4me

• Archived User
X-ecuter2.2 Pro Modchip Install -
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2003, 02:34:00 PM »

What bios did you flash the chip with?  If you used evox d.6, it sounds like you're good to go, as the chip won't boot evox until you install it ;

johnyboy73

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2003, 02:38:00 PM »

Hey again,

according to the system-modes.com page the xecutor 2.2 PRO comes with preflashed (Cromwell Linux although):

- Preflashed with the Legal FlashBIOS (based on the Cromwell Linux) BIOS.

So, if the modchip is properly installed it should boot and display the Linux start page.
The xbox power button should NOT flash red & green and switch off and on the machine. (this happened to me only once when the "d0" point wasn't properly connected)

Also, the xbox should always boot properly when the modchip is switched off, unless you have done any other changes to the xbox (e.g. unlocking HD, modifying files etc)

For me the pogo-pins always worked fine, the only thing is that you have to manipulate the "d0" point on the xbox before installing the pogopin based modchip.
You can remove the clear coated surface above the d0 point by scraping the surface GENTLY until the silver colored copper surface comes out. this guarantees you that at least the d0 point is not blocked.

Hope this helps...

swampy11

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2003, 02:44:00 PM »

Hello,

What should I use to scrap the d0 point?  Doesn't it seem that the more that you secure the chip by  screwing it down the less level the chip is.  Also how do I know if the chip is recieing power?  I have never seen the led powered on, when the modchip is enabled.

snake3k1

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2003, 02:45:00 PM »

That helps, thanks. But do you have a screenshot of linux running

murdza420

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2003, 02:48:00 PM »

QUOTE (swampy11 @ Jul 26 2003, 11:03 PM)
Hello again,

I just tested this again.  I am able to do the following:

1) When the chip is enabled the box will reset twice and boots but does not display any output.

2) When I boot the xbox with  the chip disbled the box boots normally.

Is this correct? or is it still not lined up correctly.  It seems like the LCP points aren't level and seem to "hang in mid air" at the end of the card.

Thanks again

make sure you use original vga cables (red,white,yellow) and not som HDTV connection or somethin.  Cromwell bios have problems with the different A/V connections, and since the x-ecuter flashbios are based on cromwell, (as stated earlier), then they might also have problems with the A/V connection.  

Note: I have not read the rest of this forum, so if someone already suggested this, I'm sorry.

snake3k1

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2003, 02:57:00 PM »

I think it is going to be pure HELL to use pogo pins. I will just search for someone that can solder. I am going to close up my box and ask a few co-workers and friends if they can help me out. So you guys think that would be the best solution to just solder?

rnash712

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2003, 09:42:00 PM »

dry.gif

brainstane

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2003, 11:29:00 PM »

Its threads like this and experiences that snak has presented in such a well documented way that should give anybody pause who may be considering pogo pins as the "easy" solution. Pogo pins installations cause hard to diagnose problems, are notoriously prone to slip out of alignment when least expected and you'll spend the exact same amount of hours re-aligning them that that you spent the first time you did the install. Take it from me before you go this route...you DO NOT want to try to align these things for hours on end, powering on and off the xbox, praying each time to be greeted with the cromwell screen rather than the xbox dashboard. I can think of few more tedious or stressful things than an xbox pogo pin install, and none that are less entertaining.

I understand that the newer executer versions have LEDs to indicate when proper alignment is achieved on the d0 point, and that may lead to a decrease in the number of posts asking for assistance when the installs go bad. But if you're considering purchasing a pogo pin setup, I would just ask you to stop and consider all the troubles you read in this and all the other pogo pin threads where people are asking for assistance before you make your purchasing decision.

Soldering is not difficult, I hadn't picked up a soldering iron in over ten years when I finally grew tired of "fixing" my pogo pin install and broke down and bought a executer lite. I practiced on an old modem card for an hour or so and then got busy on the real deal. The back-side d0 point is hellishly simple to get right, and if you're familiar with PC assembly/dis-assembly you can do the entire mod in an hour or so.
JUST TAKE YOUR TIME.

Good luck on whatever mod you do, and if things dont work the first time you put the case back together, take a mandatory five minute break to reflect on the process you just performed, and stop and consider what you may have left undone. Are you sure you re-connected both USB contoller cables..the IDE cable is definitely attached right..ect ect. DO NOT instantly decide to pull the mod off or desolder what you just got done soldering. Chances are theres an easy explanation for why it isnt working, and the best solution is always the one thats arrived at by a reasoned examination, not a rushed tearing apart of a newly installed mod. CHECK YOUR SOLDER JOB MOST OF ALL.

Well, Ive typed more than most people want to read so Im going to end my reply. Best of luck, modders....and remember, there's few things more rewarding in xbox modding than the sight of your first cromwell screen after a virgin mod chip install. Good luck and happy modding!
Pages: 1 2 [3]