xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: 4981 Rebooting Problem. (green/red Flash)  (Read 523 times)

Pacinamac

• Archived User
4981 Rebooting Problem. (green/red Flash)
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »

Well, I finally got it working.

I figured out what the problem was, that pesky little D0 point.

I took my Xbox apart and the green light was not turning on. Took me forever but I finally got it to light up again, and suprise, once it was connected the Xbox is working fine. Let's hope it stays that way for a while now!

JoePo

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »

I'm having a somewhat similar problem as pacinimac, although my modded xbox has only been running for 2 weeks, not 8 months.  I have a v1.0, thomson drive, 160gb HDD, and xenium chip, but I have been using the 4981.06 bios.

Normally, the bios boots correctly, however, occasionally I get a 3x reset and a FRAG.  After a frag, I have found that the only way to get the bios to boot again is by running an original xbox game off of the original MS bios, then powering off and rebooting.   This fixes the problem momentarilly, but after several hours with the xbox off, it will want to frag again.  It is quite annoying, so i'm trying to fix the problem, even though i can easily get around it by booting an original xbox game.   I think it may be something with the xbox clock settings, as every time I go into MSdash it asks me to reset the clock.  And this would make sense, considering the bios only decides not to boot if the xbox has been off for several hours.  But I don't understand why incorrect clock settings would keep the bios from booting correctly.  

Pacinamac also mentioned installing ninja gaiden, which i have also done recently.  I have been unable to get it working, but i have found that it requires some type of media patch in order to play.  But that's besides the point, I don't see how installing ninja gaiden could conflict with anything about how the bios operates, but i'm no expert so I don't really know.  

I don't thing i have a loose d0 point, but i can't say for sure.  
Most likely there is some conflict between MSdash clock settings and my dashboard clock settings (Avalaunch is default dash, Evox is secondary, both boot w/ 4981.06 bios).  I don't understand why it would prevent the bios from booting though.  

I'll try playing with the dash settings, but I don't know if/why it would help.

ComputerDude5565

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »

A few thing I would alwase recommend getting the bios off of XBINS.  And I have had some thing like that happen to me it ended up being a loose wire on the wire install.

Also:  I have been useing the bios off XBINS only 4981.06 for all my installs never had one problem.

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2004, 07:04:00 AM »

The clock ordeal is not a chip bug, it is cause by removing power to the mobo or removing power period for a certain amount of time, now the chip with a hacked bios lets you bypass the clock.  Also The Technician said he had his drives out?? well you will get a frag if your drives are not powered, and IDE'd when the xbox trys to boot.

ComputerDude5565

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2004, 10:52:00 AM »

For some reson I know that EvoX need the clock to be set.  And causes game freezes and thing to that nature.  I never heard anything about it causeing a frag.  But because the mods in general need the clock to be set Id just set it and let the mod work it majic

JoePo

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »

well does anyone know exactly what causes the clock to reset?  I know normally in an unmodded xbox you have to reset the clock if the power is disconnected for like 12 hours, or like every other time the power is disconnected.  However, my system clock needs to be reset much more often it seems, even if i never disconnect it from a power source.  

And as I said before, if I try a cold boot (booting after the xbox has been off for several hours), it almost always wants to reset x2 and FRAG.  As I said the only way I can seem to get around this is by booting the original bios, setting the clock, and playing an original xbox game.  Then I reboot and my x2 4981.06 bios usually boots properly.  So I'm not really sure if setting the clock is whats fixing it, or something that happens when booting an original game.

Another method that sometimes works to get my bios to boot is disconnecting the power and av cord from the back, then putting them right back in.  This seems to work at times, and at times it doesn't.  I have noticed that occasionally after doing this I will get a 2x reboot, then instead of fragging on the third try it will actually boot up.   I really have no clue whats going on when that happens.  

another weird thing that happens, which leads me to believe my dashboard settings may be to blame, is that occasionally when i boot bank one
( boot order: 1- Avalaunch.xbe.... 2- evoxdash.xbe  3- xboxdash.xbe  )
Evox will boot instead of avalaunch, or sometimes neither avalaunch or evox will boot and I'll go to xboxdash.  I suppose it would make sense if my dash settings are incorrect, then the bios may not boot it properly and just skip to the next dashboard listed, but I am unsure which dashboard settings are to blame and why.  

I'm running v1.0 xbox, xenium chip, x2 4981.06 bios, newest avalaunch/evox dashes, thomson DVD, 160 gb samsung HDD.

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2004, 05:56:00 PM »

Why run 4981.06 with a 160 gig hdd, are you getting all 160 of your space or is some missing?

JoePo

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2004, 06:37:00 PM »

mjk, is there a reason 4981.06 is not good w/ a large HDD?  It seems to work well for me, all the extra space is shown on the F drive, and I don't beleive I was missing any space because 140some odd GB were shown available on F at first.  

I first tried the 4981.67 bios, but I had some issues, so I tried the .06 and it seemed to work much better.  I never found anything that stated the difference between the two though.  What is the difference? does .67 support G-partitioning?

also someone else mentioned that having old versions of xbox live installed could possibly cause some problems.  I have a very old version installed, one of the first ones, but never actually successfully connected to the xbox live service ( I was trying to use a satelite internet connection, it didn't work).  If anyone knows a reason why having old xbox-live files installed would add to my problems let me know.

ComputerDude5565

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2004, 06:44:00 PM »

There is no reson not to use 4981.06 there great I have them running on all my xbox's.  Check the settings in the EvoX menu.  There is some stuff about swaping date and time.  And skip if no link and things like that take a look in there.

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2004, 06:45:00 PM »

No reason, i just wondered.

andjelko

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2004, 07:50:00 AM »

Why is it that an unmodded xbox would reboot x3 and then frag.  I got this box from a friend who started having this problem.  Also, the audio and video is not working. The box version is 1.0.  Sometimes it seems to boot fine assuming that a solid green light means this although there is no audio or video.  Is this box garbage?  Can it be modded to get around this audio video problem?  I have successfully modded 3 boxes in the past.

ComputerDude5565

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2004, 08:00:00 AM »

You have probably messed up a trace around the D0.

andjelko

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2004, 08:07:00 AM »

QUOTE (ComputerDude5565 @ Mar 18 2004, 06:00 PM)
You have probably messed up a trace around the D0.

This box was never been opened before. Is it possible for the D0 to get damaged if no one has ever messed with it?  I opened the box and as far as I can tell visually there is no damage to the board in that area.  I will pull the mb tonite and check the back side to see if somehow something went wrong with this board.

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2004, 08:12:00 AM »

Sounds like one of the vital componenets in your xbox could be going bad, like the RCA cable port, or even one of many other things. and are you Positive the box has never been opened?

ComputerDude5565

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2004, 08:13:00 AM »

Thats dumb if it didnt work and it wasnt open why didnt you send it back.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5