xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: I Think 2.3b Is A Bad Design...  (Read 88 times)

lookformeb

• Archived User
I Think 2.3b Is A Bad Design...
« on: March 01, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »

Exactly whats a bad design??  Bear with me while I explain this cause I'm tired...

You've got a 1mb TSOP essentially on a 2.3 lite, the same as the early version Xboxes.  It's purpose is to hold a flash image a boot it, there's no compatability issue with the flash memory, how can their be?  All it does is hold the image...

I honestly thing the issue here is possebly you are making a silly mistake in creating the image.  We've all done it before...  smile.gif

lookformeb

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 08:16:00 AM »

As long as the chip boots solid, the rest is BIOS dependent, not chip.

duudfromnorway

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 08:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (lookformeb @ Mar 2 2004, 06:16 PM)

"boots solid" what does that mean? i`m having trouble figure out what it means, translating and such....

jfxwave

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »

Your correct about 4981, I have never had any problems with anything below 4974. Now all I’m trying to do is add large disk support so I have to use 4979 or higher and that’s when it doesn’t boot. Maybe it has something to do with adding the large HD support on the chip. I am getting 3 more chips in this week so I will find out what happens with them. I’m getting an external programmer as well. I read a lot about people having problems loading 4981 with the box and they got it working by flashing the chip with an external programmer.

Oh and i'm getting my friends box's - v1.1 and a 1.4 and i'm going to get this thing working or find out whats going on.

lookformeb

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (duudfromnorway @ Mar 2 2004, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (lookformeb @ Mar 2 2004, 06:16 PM)

"boots solid" what does that mean? i`m having trouble figure out what it means, translating and such....

Nothing technical... I jsut mean as long as the chip boots without FRAGging... as in, it boots and functions properly...  biggrin.gif

duudfromnorway

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 02:19:00 AM »

thanks!

jfxwave

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 07:57:00 PM »

Hi and thanks for the replies.
I have tried them all but just to make sure I just tried them again just now.
Tried x2_4977.bin, x2_4978.bin  on bank 1/2 , 3/4  and 1/2/3/4. And they work.
Tried x2_4979.bin and  x2_4981.bin on bank 1/2 , 3/4 and 1/2/3/4 and they do not work.
I even tried 4980 just for the hell of it and it didn’t work.

What’s the different between 4978 and 4979?
The only thing I know of is the support for larger HD and I think IGR and LIVE.

Now with all the problems that 2.3b is having, either the chip doesn’t handle something correct or there is something wrong with the bios. I don’t hear that much about any chip lower then 2.3b so that’s why I think it’s the chip.

HuddaDudda

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »

Here is what I have and my issue:

Xbox v1.1
X2 2.3b Pro
200G HDD

My problem: Chip on or Off with OEM drive works perfectly fine. Chip on with Large HDD boots to Evox - Chip off sometimes will boot into M$ Dash sometimes get an Error 21 - When it does boot into M$Dash I can crash it by going into any of the areas (ie settings, memory, audio) with the pesky Error 21

Tried to fix by: Reformat the HDD - recopied all OEM files to NEW Large HDD, still problem occureds or Error 13 with 4981 Bios. Reflashed 4977 Bios now getting the spearatic Error 21 crashing in M$Dash. I tried also zero'ing the HDD in my computer and that hasnt done anything.

I do have another chip here. An XBIT - I see it has a pogo pin install available. I am going to remove the X2 2.3b Pro and install this chip and flash the different BIOS to see if that works. I bought my 2.3b PRO at system mods. Do they read these forums? If this chip turns out to just be pain trippin I wonder since we are all surely outside the 7 day return policy will they do anything anyway?

Also no one has mentioned this but I notice an I: partion on the HDD now. Is this from the 4981 BIOS? Could that be making the problems? Who else has this partion?

I do believe this issue is pretty similar to what everyone else is seeing. FRAGGING Xbox and strange Errors. I have seen a TON of posts with 2.3b's giving people errors now from XBoxes that WERE fine. I also see experenced installers like myself who have had XBoxs failing now for no apparent reason.

f.u.

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 09:43:00 PM »

Good to hear that if your machine gets a error 21, there is still a way out of it (even though its not fully understood).  Partial use of the machine is better than no use which is my current situation.

HuddaDudda

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »

I was wondering that same question - since system-mods only has a 7 day return on thier chips. How are we supposed to fix this in that time frame? Then to send it back and pay all their testing fees etc is crazy! Might as well just buy a new damn chip!

f.u.

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 08:29:00 PM »

sad.gif

n00bster

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 05:05:00 AM »

QUOTE (f.u. @ Mar 10 2004, 06:29 AM)
OK, I just checked the bios compatibility with a v1.5 XBox.  I don't have many to choose from.  Looks like MS are working on getting the bioses not to work.  Anyway, will have the programmer soon, hope the other available bioses will fix my problem.

Just a general question though.  If the contents on the Hard Drive are set back to Stock/oem stutus and the error 21 still appears.  What would that mean?

I really wanted to install X2 4978 as it has FTP but not compatible with my XBox version sad.gif

sounds like you may have fitted the non fixed 4981 - the first 4981 had a bug

and here are your error codes: http://www.xbox-scen.../errorcodes.php

Im into the hundreds on fitting 2.3B with fixed 4981 into all version of xbox - both virgin and upgraded consoles. Every single one works just fine first time no worries. On the od occasion i got a FRAG - just did a hot swap and flash with a working mod - worked straight away

I see to many posts saying "another xecuter problem" like its a faulty mod or something. You have to remember Xecuter are the original team and the chips are the biggest sellers with the biggest following so you are going to get many more ppl using them. Also these are support forums - you mostly see ppl asking for support

so imagine 100k chips for example - you get 1000 ppl needing help averaging 8 posts each thats 8000 posts with just problems. But that is only 1% of the users - and most of them are up and running in now time. I know for a fact tha returns rate is tiny as hell on these mods as I know a large supplier - he gets about 15 out of 1000 as returns - and half of those he fixes with a flash lol smile.gif