xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: 4981 Rebooting Problem. (green/red Flash)  (Read 526 times)

BeerIsGreat

• Archived User
4981 Rebooting Problem. (green/red Flash)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2004, 08:40:00 AM »

jfx ... what about 4979.06 repack bios?  any luck there?

BeerIsGreat

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2004, 09:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (Don_S @ Mar 6 2004, 07:09 PM)
Here's an update...

I tried the BIOS versions in decreasing order (latest ones first) starting with the 4981. Had reboot 3 times and FRAG (see post above).
4980 gave an error 13
4979.67 - flashed successfully and I was able to install EvoX. Everything seems to be functioning properly. I get the MS dashboard as usual with the chip turned off. With the chip enabled, it boots to the EvoX dashboard. I am therefore finally happy that I could get things working  biggrin.gif  Wish I could have the latest BIOS, but for now I am happy. What is the advantage of the 4981 over the 4979, if any? (for those people that *DID* manage to get it working)

Don thanks for your latest  post.  As a newbie (albeit a very well informed newbie) waiting for my 2.3b Lite to arrive via FedEx, this is very useful to me.

I find this really interesting.  Obviously, if you flahsed with 4979.67, install Evox, see ms dash when off, and evox when enable your  chip install is perfect.

This is DEFINITELY a 4981 issue, no question about it - you have proven that your chip works, and that 4979 works and 4981 does NOT.  That's enough for me, I'm going to use 4979 and forget about 4981.  Waayy too much bad mojo about that revision.

Did you use the topside of bottom side D0 point?  Or did you go with the girly pinheader install?

Thanks... please do let me know.  I think you have proven once and for all that there is absolutely an issue with 4981.

The only thing I can think of with ppl successfully running 4981, is that perhaps they have a 1.4 xbox and think it is a 1.5 - maybe the 4981 only runs ons 1.4 and under and  simply does NOT work on a true known 1.5 xbox....  The saga continues.

para[android]

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2004, 09:44:00 AM »

Did you use the topside of bottom side D0 point? Or did you go with the girly pinheader install?

You still need to solder the d0 when you use pinheader......

Ticktanium

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2004, 11:00:00 PM »

This is not only a Excuter 2.3B Pro issue.  

I have a 1.0 xbox with a PC Bioxx chip and it will occasionally frag with 4981 on it.  Prior to that is was M7 with no problems.  I have since flashed it back and its been great.  Have not tried any other bioses on this box.  This tells me its 4981 for a PC Bioxx.

As for the other X-boxes.  2 are working now with 4974.  Anything after that and they are fraged.  Swapped mod chips with known working ones and you get the same problem.  These 2 boxes definatly have a problem with later version bioses.  Although I did not try M7 on these.  Duh what was I thinking.

1 was bad soldering and corrected with cleaning everything up and testing for a few days that everything is fine.  Externally flashed and re-installed 2.3b Pro.

As for the problem boxes they are 1.3 and 1.5 versions.  One soldered to the top and one to the bottom.  Removing the mod chip completely and the boxes are fine.  Both are refurbs from mexico I think.

Here is the issue on the boxes.
bioses beyond 4974 and especially 4981 cause FRAG.
I also suspect the mod chips are enabled somehow even with the switch off.  Bad Chips? but then why did the other mod chips do the same?

I have heard there may be a version 1.6 xbox?  Anyone else?
Maybe something coming out of the refurished place?

Can everyone add wheather its on refurbs or new boxes?

shodanjr_gr

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2004, 04:29:00 AM »

arg this is getting me worried. I ordered my x2.3b Lite+ yesterday, and ive already prepared a 4981.06 bios to flash on it via cromwell once i recieved it and installed it. But reading all this, im getting worried. What bios (other than 4981 of course) should i be flashing my chip with? (got a 1.4/1.5 xbox with a focus on it).

BeerIsGreat

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2004, 07:59:00 AM »

There is nothing wrong with 4981.06 and I encourage you to run that BIOS.   See the 2 threads I posted, one of them has pics.

tequilayuen

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »

I dunno dude but many ppl are having probs with this including me:

Xbox V1.0
Xecuter 2.3b Lite+
4981.06 BIOS
80 GB HD

My story:  Performed the mod last Wednesday for a friend and it was working fine with EVOX installed until Monday.  During one of the reboots while configuring some things, I got the 3x boot then FRAG.....the system boots fine with the modchip turned off.  This has nothing to do with LIVE as this box has never been plugged into a DSL connection (just a local network).  All lights on the Lite+ chip show correct (mod enabled: 2 blue lights; mod disabled 2 blue lights + green light for d0).  We got it to work again by just leaving it unplugged for a bit, and it worked for two more days but then he called me yesterday and stated that it was doing it again.....I thought it was an issue with heat and the chip was just faulty but since so many are seeing this (even with other chips), I think it might be the BIOS.  I won't have a chance to look at it until Saturday so I'll report back if I have success with that.

n00bster

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »

QUOTE (BeerIsGreat @ Mar 6 2004, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (Don_S @ Mar 6 2004, 07:09 PM)
Here's an update...

I tried the BIOS versions in decreasing order (latest ones first) starting with the 4981. Had reboot 3 times and FRAG (see post above).
4980 gave an error 13
4979.67 - flashed successfully and I was able to install EvoX. Everything seems to be functioning properly. I get the MS dashboard as usual with the chip turned off. With the chip enabled, it boots to the EvoX dashboard. I am therefore finally happy that I could get things working  biggrin.gif  Wish I could have the latest BIOS, but for now I am happy. What is the advantage of the 4981 over the 4979, if any? (for those people that *DID* manage to get it working)

Don thanks for your latest  post.  As a newbie (albeit a very well informed newbie) waiting for my 2.3b Lite to arrive via FedEx, this is very useful to me.

I find this really interesting.  Obviously, if you flahsed with 4979.67, install Evox, see ms dash when off, and evox when enable your  chip install is perfect.

This is DEFINITELY a 4981 issue, no question about it - you have proven that your chip works, and that 4979 works and 4981 does NOT.  That's enough for me, I'm going to use 4979 and forget about 4981.  Waayy too much bad mojo about that revision.

Did you use the topside of bottom side D0 point?  Or did you go with the girly pinheader install?

Thanks... please do let me know.  I think you have proven once and for all that there is absolutely an issue with 4981.

The only thing I can think of with ppl successfully running 4981, is that perhaps they have a 1.4 xbox and think it is a 1.5 - maybe the 4981 only runs ons 1.4 and under and  simply does NOT work on a true known 1.5 xbox....  The saga continues.

there is NO 4981 issue - not the official release anyway

the problems you are all having is that there are TOO many hacked versions of 4981 going around and they are all shite

i use 4981 constantly and install it on many many machines - it rocks

and the bios doesnt care if its v1.4 or v1.5 - why would it - these kind of statements show lack of tech knowledge as to how this stuff works

there has only been 1 RC4 change - between v1.0 and v1.1

I could get every single one of you up and running within 5 minutes if you were in front of me - man i could make a fortune from doing xbox repairs around here lol

Ticktanium

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »

Not sure but let me add this to the list.  

I will agree with n00bster that a lot of people have not installed or flahed thier bioses correctly.  Since I used the same file to flash each of these I can surely say I have a good copy of the bios.  9 out of 10 have no problem with this bios.

All from the problem X-boxes what I see that are having problems.

So far they are all refurbs(1.3's).  Except 1 with a PC bioxx chip with 4979.06.  I believe all came from Mexico.  This is not every 1.3 refurb that this happens with.

All have xbox-live pre-installed.  As we know the latest version of live has Hard drive size detection but is not blacklisting yet.

I have taken a good working x-box flashed with 4979.06 chip into these machines and received the same problem.

I have taken these problem xboxes e-proms and put them into other x-boxes and they are fine.  So the flash is good.

Flashing with bios 4974 works in these x-boxes.  Not sure why 4974 works on these xboxes but newer versions do not.  This tells me the chip is installed properly and working fine.

I dont think the bios is the problem but I think its being checked by something.
I dont think the mod chip is the problem.  It works in other boxes.
I dont think the soldering in the problem. It works when flased with 4974.

I think these 2 X-boxes contain something else.

In retro if everyone with this same exact problem can add to this.  

Make sure you do the same things I listed above to get them working 4974 then post here.  

If you cant get it to work with any bios.  Then chances are you dont have the same problem we are trying to solve then please dont post here.

Here are the questions.
Is your x-box new or refurbished?  If refurbished do you know where?
What version is your x-box?
Have you modded other x-boxes?  DONT LIE OR EXAGERATE you wont impress anyone but yourself and it doesnt help the cause.  if your a first timer thats ok were were first timers too once.
Does it work with 4974 or any other version?
Does your x-box have live installed already?

ni66e12

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (davedave @ Mar 2 2004, 10:32 PM)
Thanks for directing me here from my post, Ticktanium from my thread at

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=178974

Just to fill in everyone on my situation:

I've been having the same problem on a v1.5 Xbox with an Xecuter 2.3b and bios 4981.06.

Since the problem began, I've tried 4979 and checked all the solder points.  I've tried a blank hard drive, the original hard drive, and a hard drive from another XBox.  Everything is physically perfect and it worked for almost 2 months before this with no problems.  It will boot with the chip OFF and act like a normal xbox.  It will boot with the chip ON, but only if a REAL game is in the drive.  For example, it will not boot Slayer's.  It won't boot with an emtpy DVD drive either. Strangly, if I boot with the mod chip ON, and put Halo (or possible other games) in the drive, the in-game-reset works.

It's interesting that you suspect the network changes to the bios though, as the last thing I did was change the xbox from using DHCP to using a static IP.   I rebooted to make the setting take effect and just kept rebooting.

I noticed someone else had recently used XBMP too.  I had just finished watching a Divx AVI on the Xbox before I made the IP change.

I've seen a lot of "3 reboots, then FRAGing", but mine does not FRAG.  It just reboots forever.  I've left it rebooting for well over an hour.

It's been over a week and I'm almost ready to buy an old, used one from a pawn shop, but I'll wait to see what others post and I'll try disconnecting the PS form the board for a day to see what happens.

Does anyone else have these exact symptoms, or is mine just odd?  Have you been able to solve it (how)?

If this is a problem in the bios, or an MS attempt to stop the mods, we can only look to one source for the fix.

I have the exact same problem!  A xbox that i did is rebooting forever.

n00bster

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2004, 05:08:00 AM »

maybe a good idea for someone to dump their C drive

its possible there is a pre installed xbox live that 4981 is not compatible with

maybe you should all try updating your live to the very latest versoin ?

Fonix

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2004, 05:15:00 AM »

I'm having the same issue now
I have a 1.0 xbox and a Xecuter lite+2.2b flashed with 4981.06 and am now getting the constant rebooting, If I let it go for a while it will eventually FRAG
I have a samsung dvd drive. I never tried a different bios version because now I cannot flash it.
Do I need to buy a parallel port flasher now to fix it? Will that even fix it? OR do I need to get a new mod chip all-together.

Perplexer

• Recovered User
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2004, 05:54:00 AM »

There is nothing wrong with the X2 4981.xx BIOS.  I've flashed it to chips running in every version from 1.0 to 1.5 with no problems.

*Your* particular copy of the BIOS may be bad.  See if you can open it in XBTool.

Ticktanium

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2004, 06:30:00 AM »

I figure the majority of these are actually soldering issues not the real problem trying to be resolved.  

I will try to resolve for another week before I finally give up and M7 or 4974 flash them and call it quits.

Only those who work properly with 4974 bios but cannot get later versions to work post from here on?

Is your X-box new or refurbished?  Do you know from where? Mexico?
Is x-box live pre-installed?
What bios versions work and dont work?
What version x-box do you have?

Pacinamac

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2004, 10:42:00 AM »

I am having the same Reboot 3 times and then frag problem.

Although, how it happened to me is very interesting.

I have a Version 1 Xbox with the thompson drive, bought when they were first released.

I have an Xecutor 2.2 Lite + chip that I installed about 8 months ago.

I have the 4977 bios installed.

The odd thing is that my Xbox had been working flawlessly for the past several months. I just recently hot this problem a few days ago. The only things that I did on my xbox were do some xbox to xbox tranfers with XboxToolbox and install Ninja Gaiden onto the HDD. Just out of nowhere I start getting this Reboot x3 frag problem. I messed around with the switches a bit and then it seemed to work great for a few days. Now it is acting up again and I cannot get it booted.

I really doubt it is a problem with the bios as I have had 4977 on mine for 8 months and it never caused problems before. I think it may be a contact point problem. Perhaps the contacts came loose or something? I am going to try to reconnect mine tonight and see if that fixes it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5