xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Notice For 5/31/03 Xboxes  (Read 739 times)

{{909}}

• Archived User
Notice For 5/31/03 Xboxes
« on: August 24, 2003, 02:24:00 AM »

the philips drive reads all originals fine, so why would MS give a shit if it wont read cdr.
on what grounds can someone file legal legal action?
this is so old, ive been modding xbox day in day out and i havent seen a samsung drive in months.
As long as u use a decent branded DVDr the philips is fine.

a9h3x

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 02:34:00 AM »

I had a box I modded with a phillips and it read my cd-r evox boot cd maybe it just reads some cd-r media? I used verbatims

Champ189WS

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 02:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (n00bxbox @ Aug 24 2003, 06:34 PM)
first of all, nobody except millionaires have dvd burners, and dvd burners are too slow, not worth buying till they hit about 16X.  Second of all, as long as you have a big hard drive in the xbox, you dont need it to read cdrs.  Just copy your Games/MP3/Videos to its hd and you are fine.  I got a 30GB Quantum Fireball in it and its doing fine.

actually the dvd burner price is going down.., i seen one for like 130 bucks. So u dont have to be a millionaire; u just hav e to save a little money

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2003, 03:04:00 PM »

first of all, nobody except millionaires have dvd burners, and dvd burners are too slow, not worth buying till they hit about 16X

16X for a dvd burner would be like 3 mins to burn a full 4.7GB DVD. Are you kidding me!

DVD Burners are very affordable.

It's not fair that one guy gets a Samsung and the other guy gets a piece of crap philips that can't read burnt audio CDs

I don't remember seeing anywhere that MS$ guarantees the xbox to work with anything other than: DVD Retail Movies, DVD Retail Games, and CD Retail Audio CD's. So I don't think this argument holds any water.  wink.gif

However, we ALL wish MS$ put Samsungs in all Xboxes. But we are not "obligated" to have a Samsung  jester.gif

enigmatl

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 03:24:00 PM »

QUOTE (a9h3x @ Aug 24 2003, 10:34 AM)
I had a box I modded with a phillips and it read my cd-r evox boot cd maybe it just reads some cd-r media? I used verbatims

Maybe you did.  Back in the day, I've also pot tweaked a Philips to do the same.  So your pot may be set higher.  I refuse to deal with that when every Samsung drive consistantely works fine.  I am absolutely hooked on Xbox Live and I think the xbox is a sweet console but I for one refuse to allow MS to sell me a Philips/Thompson when they sold Samsungs to others.  This is an activity that if allowed to continue will just get worse.  So if others allow MS to give them drives not as good as drives in other xboxes, that's on them and they're saying it's ok.  Bu I insist that I get the same product that someone else gets from the same company if it's sold and boxed as the same do not accept otherwise and feel MS needs to disclose this information on the box otherwise , Wal-mart stores can deal with people like me and those I bring into the xbox scene.  We keep buying and returning til we get Samsungs.  If Wal-mart gets sick of it, we'll go elsewhere and they have been told this numerous times.  I hate that Wal-mart takes the hit of inconvenience but at the same time, if they (and other merchants of course) have a problem with it, they should talk to MS.  Not the likes of me.  But so far, I guess they don't have a problem.

enigmatl

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 03:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (n00bxbox @ Aug 24 2003, 10:34 PM)
first of all, nobody except millionaires have dvd burners, and dvd burners are too slow, not worth buying till they hit about 16X.  Second of all, as long as you have a big hard drive in the xbox, you dont need it to read cdrs.  Just copy your Games/MP3/Videos to its hd and you are fine.  I got a 30GB Quantum Fireball in it and its doing fine.

Son, I want you to come next time we go sailing on my yacht.  There will be pleanty to drink and eat and seeing as I'm a millionaire, it won't bother me a bit.  Afterwords, I'm takin' you to my private golf course.  Then to my private club.  There will be pleanty of girls but only the finest ones shall be there.  Cause afterall, I own a DVD burner.  I must have stolen it though seeing as I only paid $250 for it.

enigmatl

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 03:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (feflicker @ Aug 24 2003, 11:04 PM)
I don't remember seeing anywhere that MS$ guarantees the xbox to work with anything other than: DVD Retail Movies, DVD Retail Games, and CD Retail Audio CD's. So I don't think this argument holds any water. 

This is not to you personally, it is how I feel about MS.  I could care less what MS guarantees to be in there or not to be in there.  If you buy a product from anyone and the guy down the street buys the same product, if he has something in there and you don't, wheather it be an xbox, a car, a computer, or whatever, the company is obligated to tell you what's inside.  And, if they go over and beyond that for some, then one thing's for sure.  They're going over and beyond that for ME.  Because if Joe down the road paid $xxx for product Y and I see it and like it, I'll go to the store and get the same product that I liked by way of his word of mouth advertising and I am for sure getting what I saw came out of his box.  If not, the product gets exchanged.

andrusk

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 03:36:00 PM »

this is a sad sad argument. just be glad m$ isnt doing anymore than they are to stop modchip and everything on this scene.  Just be glad that m$ is letting you and everyone else get away with what we're doing!  Sure they dont support us, but they dont try as hard as they can to stop us.  So celebrate that fact and quit your whining! muhaha.gif

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 03:39:00 PM »

If you buy a product from anyone and the guy down the street buys the same product, if he has something in there and you don't, wheather it be an xbox, a car, a computer, or whatever, the company is obligated to tell you what's inside.

I can agree to that.  beerchug.gif

I don't think MS$ is purposely putting in drives that do not work for modders. I think they are just picking the low bid like every other large corporation when it comes to the parts they purchase... Unfortunately for use Philips and Thomson fall way short of making a decent product for the $$ that MS$ is paying them  sad.gif

EvilWays

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2003, 03:43:00 PM »

Final word on any class action suit: You won't get jack shit! M$ is not obligated under any circumstances to use a certain brand DVD drive in the Xbox. The fact that M$ uses Samsung in some and Philips in some others probably means they're killing off some of their supply of Philips or something to that effect. That's their choice, not yours. You dont' like it? Go find someone selling a Samsung drive, buy it, install it, and sell the other drive. Why are people being picky about what DVD drive is in their system? I'm just fine with my Thomson....

LiquidCell

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2003, 03:57:00 PM »

why dont you be happy with what you fucking got, if your xbox isn't modded, it sure as hell can play originals unless you tweaked the pot like a fucking 6 year old kid that tells his parents OH IM GONNA MAKE SO MUCH money doing this shit, then pops the laser.  Why dont you just live with what you got, my xbox is a v1.0 and has a thompson drive in it, works fucking NICE for me, didnt touch the pots or nothin.

btw, I am in a bad mood and I am not flaming you up on purpose.

andrusk

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2003, 03:57:00 PM »

Bottom line is m$ doesnt owe you or anybody else anything!  The xbox does what they say it will do, which is to play retail games, RETAIL audio cds, and RETAIL dvds.  You should consider the fact that yours play cdrs as an extra bonus, because they dont owe you squat! You complain that they put cheap drives in their xboxs?!?  Its their right! Thats what keeps the prices down.  And if you dont like it, why dont you right m$ and tell them your petty little complaints, I'm sure theyll change their policy on cheap dvds drives just so you can play your "backed up" cds.

enigmatl

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2003, 04:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (andrusk @ Aug 24 2003, 11:57 PM)
Bottom line is m$ doesnt owe you or anybody else anything!  The xbox does what they say it will do, which is to play retail games, RETAIL audio cds, and RETAIL dvds.  You should consider the fact that yours play cdrs as an extra bonus, because they dont owe you squat! You complain that they put cheap drives in their xboxs?!?  Its their right! Thats what keeps the prices down.  And if you dont like it, why dont you right m$ and tell them your petty little complaints, I'm sure theyll change their policy on cheap dvds drives just so you can play your "backed up" cds.

I didn't write them but I did call them and they didn't acknowledge that there were 3 brands.  They said that was misinformation and that you can not rely on people on the internet for information and that it's most likely that the pictures on the net are just made-up photoshopped to ruffle some feathers and that we can be assured that all xboxes are the same.

But yes it's their right to put whatever they want in their xbox just like it's my right to exercise my 30 day return policy as I have done, will continue to do, and will advise friends to do in the event that we get a Philips/Thompson drive.  M$ may not document audio backup CD play, it may be a bonus.  But if that's the case, I get the "bonus" too.

Mad_Gouki

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2003, 04:25:00 PM »

grr.gif

NightL1fe

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2003, 04:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (EvilWays @ Aug 24 2003, 07:43 PM)
Final word on any class action suit: You won't get jack shit! M$ is not obligated under any circumstances to use a certain brand DVD drive in the Xbox. The fact that M$ uses Samsung in some and Philips in some others probably means they're killing off some of their supply of Philips or something to that effect. That's their choice, not yours. You dont' like it? Go find someone selling a Samsung drive, buy it, install it, and sell the other drive. Why are people being picky about what DVD drive is in their system? I'm just fine with my Thomson....

AMEN brother...

CLASS ACTION SUIT.. HAHAHA what a joke...
maybe thier supply ran out on samsungs and had to use a phillips? or tompson? what you think they have endless supplys of drives and parts? what dont you complain also on the different power supplys and different network coms LOL!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4