xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Best Dashboard  (Read 921 times)

triggernum5

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2004, 03:39:00 PM »

I've been using XBMC primarily since I watch more vids than play games.  Evox is simpler/more convenient at times, although I think I might trade Evox for UnleashX since it is atleast as simple with file editor:)  XBMC has soo many other pros!  Like Python scripting and multitasking.  I can watch vids and run bittorrent script, as well as manage files/ftp all at once.  There is an unlimited range of posibilities with python scripting.  Many PC apps can be ported.

para[android]

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2004, 03:55:00 PM »

I'm am always suprised at how few people use xbmc as a dash.  It is hands down the best imo.  It does everything you could want a dash to do (except flash bios, but not a factor for me) and looks great doing it.  Definately the most professional looking software for the xbox, and the most funtional.

Avalaunch is cool, but it seems buggy to me.  Crashes a lot on my machine.

triggernum5

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2004, 07:45:00 AM »

I'm am always suprised at how few people use xbmc as a dash. It is hands down the best imo. It does everything you could want a dash to do (except flash bios, but not a factor for me) and looks great doing it. Definately the most professional looking software for the xbox, and the most funtional.
I agree.  Especially the Black/Blue skinI just wish they had more direct access to Programs and scripts (Like evox/unleashx etc).  I now use Xselect as my dash, with xbmc as default.  I really like unLeashx for just sitting down with buddies to play games

Psilocybe

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2004, 07:17:00 PM »

just thought i'd add a plug for my dashboard guide page
DashBoard Guide
includes videos

flattspott

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2004, 08:34:00 PM »

CODE
Features

Ø      UnleashX

Ø      Avalaunch, MXM

Ø      Evox

Ø      NexGen

Ø      THC Dash

MXM will be numero uno when the next version is released. So many new things.

Aside from that why is UnleashX number one now? What does it have in the features dept. that puts it over both Avalaunch and MXM?

Good page too.

Just took a gander at the UnleashX section. I take it your're an UnleashX fan. Cause you noted down every single feature for it but kinda skimmed through the other dashes.  A lot of that stuff that could and can be done in MXM.  Yo also failed to mention the infinite power of ActionScripting.

Psilocybe

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2004, 09:06:00 PM »

unleashX has the biggest list of features do to the fact that they had their own list and i didn't have to think of them myself
anyway they have things that i deemed to make it good feature wise such as the awsome file manager that will play videos as well as the text editor and such
i did mention the highly customizable factor of mxm
i have no problems updating as soon as dashes come out, i was told a little over 2 months ago when i made the page a new mxm would be out within  a few weeks as i was about evox, but neither have come out yet.  when they do however i'll update

BloodyMary

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2004, 06:07:00 AM »

QUOTE (flattspott @ Apr 22 2004, 12:34 AM)
You gonna have to change that guide soon.

CODE
Features

Ø      UnleashX

Ø      Avalaunch, MXM

Ø      Evox

Ø      NexGen

Ø      THC Dash

MXM will be numero uno when the next version is released. So many new things.

Aside from that why is UnleashX number one now? What does it have in the features dept. that puts it over both Avalaunch and MXM?

Good page too.

Just took a gander at the UnleashX section. I take it your're an UnleashX fan. Cause you noted down every single feature for it but kinda skimmed through the other dashes.  A lot of that stuff that could and can be done in MXM.  Yo also failed to mention the infinite power of ActionScripting.

flattspott,

I'm guessing that you have the latest whips of MXM... which is great... but the average user doesn't get to see many of the new enhancements to the action scripting... we just get to read about them in the forums which just makes us want the new version sooner... sure MXM is a powerful dash... but the 0.9n.6 (which is the latest public release) seems rather out-dated when compared to the latest public release of UnleashX.

To my knowledge MXM and UnleashX are the only 2 dashboards that support preview videos (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and that is a feature that is one of my top 3 favorite features of a dashboard, so I don't even bother using any dashboard without preview video support.  If XBMC had preview video support, it would be my #1 dashboard choice, it's features far surpass any other dashboard (especially with the python addons).

As for now... with it's built in file manager and game copy feature... UnleashX is the King of The Hill.  And when the next version of UnleashX comes out... it will come packed with features that are bound to make it the dashboard of choice of many new users.

Sure MXM is still a great dashboard and even ground breaking in many areas... the feature set of UnleashX are identical to MXM in many areas... just goes to show that unleashx saw a lot that he liked about MXM and 'borrowed (so to speak)' from MXM's feature set.  How ever UnleashX has features (and will have more features) that MXM's current public release just can't replicate.

When the new versions of both dashboards come out... we'll see a lot of new features from each.  Perhaps the next MXM will surpass the next UnleashX, perhaps not... We'll (myself and the rest of the non wip users) just have to wait and see...

Both BenJeremy and unleashx deserve a huge thankyou, pat on the back and a couple of ice cold beers.  I thank both of them very much for bringing what they have (and what they will in the future) to the xbox-scene community...

Bloody Mary...

flattspott

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2004, 07:13:00 AM »

Fair enough...

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2004, 09:33:00 AM »

BloodyMary - most users WILL get the benefits of the improvements in ActionScripting - there will be a great number of scripts incorporated into MXM when it gets the next public release. That's the whole idea behind the system UI stuff.

When plug-and-play is finalized, it should also be trivial to update or add on to MXM as a dash, too. As a bonus, people will not have to wait for MXM to be updated to incorporate new features, either (This is already happening though with 0.9n.6).

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2004, 10:30:00 AM »

flattspott,

I'm guessing that you have the latest whips of MXM... which is great... but the average user doesn't get to see many of the new enhancements to the action scripting... we just get to read about them in the forums which just makes us want the new version sooner... sure MXM is a powerful dash... but the 0.9n.6 (which is the latest public release) seems rather out-dated when compared to the latest public release of UnleashX.

I understand what you are saying, but BJ is trying to get ALL the bugs out of it before the release as he isn't like some coders that release new versions with bugfixes and just little updates. He likes to do big updates and that sure is a big one that is being included at the moment  biggrin.gif However I can understand it could seem a 'little' outdated, but a lot??? Thats pushing it.

To my knowledge MXM and UnleashX are the only 2 dashboards that support preview videos (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and that is a feature that is one of my top 3 favorite features of a dashboard

I agree preview videos are the best features of dashboards so it is also only these two for me.

As for now... with it's built in file manager and game copy feature... UnleashX is the King of The Hill.  And when the next version of UnleashX comes out... it will come packed with features that are bound to make it the dashboard of choice of many new users.

Built in file manager - MXM has a script to do this, in other words MXM has a file manager.
Game Copy feature - As above, there is also a game copy feature, and it is no good saying ' packed with features' and expecting no questions to be asked... MXM is being open and letting people KNOW what will be in the next release by letting ppeople read about WIP releases.
Sure MXM is still a great dashboard and even ground breaking in many areas... the feature set of UnleashX are identical to MXM in many areas... just goes to show that unleashx saw a lot that he liked about MXM and 'borrowed (so to speak)' from MXM's feature set.  How ever UnleashX has features (and will have more features) that MXM's current public release just can't replicate.

Yeah, a lot of the features are similar, which is good as it shows respect. However you have again basically gone around doing what you say is bad 'I know features you don't na-na-na' (Exageration I know.) But if you look at MXM next release, it will have a lot of features that UnleashX can't replicate... I believe its currently the only dashboard with built in games???

When the new versions of both dashboards come out... we'll see a lot of new features from each.  Perhaps the next MXM will surpass the next UnleashX, perhaps not... We'll (myself and the rest of the non wip users) just have to wait and see...

Well, you can basically tell which you are going to prefer now, you can DEFINATELY see the features MXM has and you make reference earlier you know some features UnleashX will have in it, so in some ways your opinion is already made up. I know mine is  laugh.gif
Both BenJeremy and unleashx deserve a huge thankyou, pat on the back and a couple of ice cold beers.  I thank both of them very much for bringing what they have (and what they will in the future) to the xbox-scene community...

Totally agree with you there.

Psilocybe

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2004, 10:40:00 AM »

first off i'll say that i'm sorry if i am the cause of this argument between mxm and unleashx, but that page is just my own personal thoughts
while features may be a fact based figure, when i scaled them as i did i took many things into consideration
i used "out of the box" features, ease of running the features, and many other factors
while yes mxm is the hands down most flexible dash there is, it's due only to the action scripting which many people will not mess with.  people want features as soon as the download it.  they don't want to search through forums and read tons of info to learn how to code it themselves.  I hope you all understand what i'm saying here.
also the page is currently down due to the fact that the host is the host of <banned site due to piracy> and he got TONS of traffic yesterday due to the Rainbow Six 3 downloads that were posted on the front page.  He's getting his 10gig limit bumped up to 50 soon so this should not be a problem for my page again.
as mentioned before i'll update my "guide" as new releases come out for each dash as i just did with the newest nexgen release.
Can't wait to see the next MXM, EvoX, and UnleashX

For the record, i use avalaunch as my main dash currently

triggernum5

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2004, 06:34:00 PM »

smile.gif

flattspott

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2004, 08:13:00 PM »

Yeah, I saw what people can do with scripting, but I wish they'd spent their time learning to do C++ and write something for the xbox rather than learning another *scripting language*.

Is that your view on scripts in regards to unleashx solely, and/or MXM too?

PaCMaYNE

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »

beerchug.gif ,, without it,, it just wouldnt be as fun 8-(

BloodyMary

• Archived User
Best Dashboard
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2004, 12:45:00 AM »

QUOTE (unleashx @ Apr 23 2004, 12:44 AM)
The entire quotation is my view and should not be taken against MXM

I wasn't speaking against MXM either... but some people were obviously TOO stupid to figure that out, but they're ignorant morons anyway.  As far as MXM being able to mimic the features of UnleashX in the current 0.9n.6 by the use of action scripts, let me make this even clearer then I already did (for people that are far too stupid to even be posting on these boards), I am speaking of the current fresh versions that you download from #xbins (the normal 'usual place').  With MXM, you have to do a bunch of action script implementation (not writting, just implementing) yourself to make it up to par with the current release of UnleashX, and why would you want to when you can just download UnleashX and have it already in there as soon as you boot.  And finally for the future versions of EACH dashboard, as I stated, we'll just have to wait and see.  To anyone that this post offended... FUCK YOU.. don't read it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14