xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Files Download As Folders  (Read 51 times)

cplater

• Archived User
Files Download As Folders
« on: February 09, 2004, 05:27:00 AM »

I've posted this a few times in the buglist threads.  The problem is that Transmit does a CWD for each file, and Avalaunch doesn't return an error. Other FTP servers return an error 500: Not a directory. I am not sure why transmit does this, and I've written to panic to ask why, and if there could be a workaround. This problem is the only reason I have not switched to Avalaunch.

luma

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 06:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (the joker @ Dec 19 2003, 11:47 AM)
still.... it's too hard to debug mac stuff when aint got a mac.

joker - the problem is that transmit is fucking retarded (like many things mac), and instead of looking for the "d" in the permissions field, it tries to CD into every file to see if it is a directory or not.  Ava's FTP server doesn't return an error when doing this.  here's an example using a win32 FTP server (Serv-U in this case):
CODE
ftp> dir
200 PORT Command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
drw-rw-rw-   1 user     group           0 Feb  9 11:11 .
drw-rw-rw-   1 user     group           0 Feb  9 11:11 ..
drw-rw-rw-   1 user     group           0 Feb  9 11:11 testdir
-rw-rw-rw-   1 user     group           0 Feb  9 11:11 testfile
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 246 bytes received in 0.01Seconds 16.40Kbytes/sec.
ftp> cd testfile
550 /Upload/test/testfile: No such file or directory.
ftp> cd testdir
250 Directory changed to /Upload/test/testdir
ftp>

now here's what the same thing looks like in ava:
CODE
ftp> dir
200 Connected to port
drw-rw-rw-   1 user     group           0 Feb  9 16:30 testdir
-rw-rw-rw-   1 user     group           0 Feb  9 16:30 testfile
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 129 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 129000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> cd testfile
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> quote pwd
257 "/G:/test/testfile" is current directory.
ftp> dir
200 Connected to port
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> cd ..
200 CWD command successful.
ftp> dir
200 Connected to port
drw-rw-rw-   1 user     group           0 Feb  9 16:30 testdir
-rw-rw-rw-   1 user     group           0 Feb  9 16:30 testfile
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 129 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 129000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> quote pwd
257 "/G:/test" is current directory.

now, you'll have to admit that this is a strange way to handle "CD"ing into files...

cplater

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 02:46:00 PM »

QUOTE (luma @ Feb 9 2004, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE (the joker @ Dec 19 2003, 11:47 AM)
still.... it's too hard to debug mac stuff when aint got a mac.

joker - the problem is that transmit is fucking retarded (like many things mac), and instead of looking for the "d" in the permissions field, it tries to CD into every file to see if it is a directory or not.  Ava's FTP server doesn't return an error when doing this.

I never got a chance to test this w/ .59, but just for the record, it is still broking in .60. I have yet to hear from Panic (the developers of Transmit) on this issue. If I do hear anything, I'll post it here.

cplater

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 06:31:00 PM »

I just got word back from Panic. This issue has been added to their list for future enhancements.

Fofer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »

I too am a Transmit fan and a new convert to Avalaunch.  When editing text files though all I do is select the file and then click "Edit" in the toolbar.  Then I can edit it right there in Transmit, no need to even launch another app!

Bummer about this downloading glitch though. I haven't seen this problem on any of the other launchers.   I suppose I'll just QuickLaunch EvoX or Unleash-X when I want to do some transfers from the box.

neonman

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 02:42:00 PM »

I already searched and found nothing, and read the un-official manual, but i still cant figure out why when i download files (such as avalaunch.xml) my computer recognizes it as a folder and i can not open it in a text editor. i am using avalaunch version .48 and transmit for mac. This is the ONLY reason avalaunch is not set as my main dashboard.

Gilrim

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 04:13:00 PM »

QUOTE (neonman @ Oct 17 2003, 11:42 PM)
... and transmit for mac....

This is the ONLY reason noone replyes.

seriously tho: what ftp-client do you use? tried several?

neonman

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 06:55:00 AM »

i have used transmit because it worked fine with evo-x until the latest release, and avalaunch hasnt worked since .42. i wish some of these dashboards supported Mac OS X. Thanks for the reply, and ill try some other ones today.

neonman

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 07:41:00 PM »

i tried transmit, internet explorer, and the one included with os x. I can upload files fine, but when i download files such as .ini files and others, they are recognized as folders. What programs do other people that have a mac use to ftp with avalaunch? Oh well, hopefully it will be fixed in the next release

^Blazed^

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 10:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (neonman @ Oct 21 2003, 04:41 AM)
i tried transmit, internet explorer, and the one included with os x. I can upload files fine, but when i download files such as .ini files and others, they are recognized as folders. What programs do other people that have a mac use to ftp with avalaunch? Oh well, hopefully it will be fixed in the next release

If your computer recognizes files as folders instead, then the ftp client that you're using has to s*ck big time. Or, you could check if you have showrootfreespace="1" in your Avalaunch.xml file.

It may cause problems for some ftp clients.

ph34r.gif

ZildjianKX

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 09:06:00 PM »

QUOTE (^Blazed^ @ Oct 20 2003, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (neonman @ Oct 21 2003, 04:41 AM)

If your computer recognizes files as folders instead, then the ftp client that you're using has to s*ck big time. Or, you could check if you have showrootfreespace="1" in your Avalaunch.xml file.

It may cause problems for some ftp clients.

ph34r.gif

Just FYI, the solution doesn't work with Transmit.

Before you go bashing Transmit, its by far the best FTP client for OS X, and Avalaunch is the only FTP server I've ever found to make it do this, and NO other Xbox FTP server gives the same error.

If anyone is looking for an FTP program for mac that works with it, Captain FTP works... and even the command prompt FTP client works too.

BTW, Avalaunch rocks, and this is the only complaint I have at all about it. smile.gif

the joker

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 03:10:00 AM »

avalunch 's ftp server was made by the RFC code, but due to incredibly many bugs in misc clients we have added special adds here and there.

When a ftp client can't read the first "d" as a directory, it's not the server you should blame.  God knows what it looks for, send me the program and a mac and I'll look into it.

ZildjianKX

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 05:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (the joker @ Dec 11 2003, 04:10 AM)
avalunch 's ftp server was made by the RFC code, but due to incredibly many bugs in misc clients we have added special adds here and there.

When a ftp client can't read the first "d" as a directory, it's not the server you should blame.  God knows what it looks for, send me the program and a mac and I'll look into it.

Thanks for the reply.  Its not too big of a deal, its just weird though that it doesn't detect the files as folders when browsing the FTP server, it just loses the attribute in the transfer process.

Keep up the great work on Avalaunch, I'm on my second day of using it, and absolutely love it smile.gif

neonman

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2003, 04:34:00 AM »

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. For those of you bothered by this problem, ive found a workaround for it. You may or may not know this, but if you Control-Click on text files, you can edit them without actually downloading them. Still doesnt work for non-text files though.

xionanx

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2003, 12:24:00 AM »

Something else you could do is to think out of the box.  If you are having problems gettins .xml files, just rename the file to .txt or .doc. .whatverthehellyouwant.  Download the file then. and open it using a basic text editor.  Make your changes, upload it, then rename it to .xml.

Pages: [1] 2