xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 2 Rrod - Error 0013 Ram Overheat  (Read 49 times)

mbball

• Archived User
2 Rrod - Error 0013 Ram Overheat
« on: June 08, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »

Well, I have an Xbox from Christmas of 2007. I am a hardcore gamer and usually play at least a few hours a day on it. For the past year and a half it has worked perfectly, until yesterday when I received 2 RROD. The first time after getting it I booted it back up and played for a few hours, then I received it again. From then on whenever I hit the power button it would immediately flash the two red lights (top left and right quadrants when facing vertically) without ever seeing the Xbox 360 NXE Dashboard. I left it unplugged overnight and tried this morning to boot it up but received the same response. Today my dad and I worked vigorously, disassembling the Xbox, then blowing compressed air to clear out all the dust, reassembling and kicking it back up to gain only around 10 seconds of Dashboard time before it resorted to the two red rings. We decided to read the error code and it was 0013, or an issue of RAM overheating as I've read. Now my question to everyone here, what is the best way of fixing this error, with minimal chance of having problems. Also, if you have any information as to the cost of the procedure that would be greatly appreciated, along with a link to a guide.

Summary for those too lazy to read:

When I boot my 360 I receive two RROD and have an error code of 0013. I would like to gain as many opinions as possible on how to correct this before I potentially do something that would severely damage my system. I will leave this thread open for a day or two to gain as much insight as possible, please help!

-Matt

Mholt215

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:23:00 AM »

Ive dealt with this.. its a wierd error code.

On the ram chips on the bottom of the board (theres 4) are there the little foam pads? If so, take them off then go out and get a heat gun (if you dont have one) and while the board is on the ground heatgun the bottom of the board on high moving the gun around for 3 minutes or so (keep the heatgun moving) let it cool down, put the pads back on, and stick it back in the cage and screw it down and see what happens.

If you do this, I would also advise adding a fan in your xbox, or you can even use a regular house fan on your xbox if you leave it out of the white case. It actually helps.

mbball

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »

Thanks for your input. I've read topics on heatgunning stuff, but should I heatgun and then do the x-clamp trick? Or soley heatgun?

This post has been edited by mbball: Jun 9 2009, 05:47 PM

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »

Heatgunning only will solve your problem, but doing the x-clamp fix (if it is made right) will be a good precaution measure for future RROD problems.

Mholt215

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(MadMaxGR @ Jun 10 2009, 02:39 AM) *

Heatgunning only will solve your problem, but doing the x-clamp fix (if it is made right) will be a good precaution measure for future RROD problems.

As well as sanding down the 2 mobo standoffs on the metal case that the xbox sits in.. heres a diagram.

o    O    o

o    O    o

Sand down (power sander does the trick) the capital O's.. their in the middle of the big metal cage and they are not the same height as the other standoffs (in my diagram, the smaller o's).