xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27

Author Topic: Tutorial: Wilhelm's Improved X-clamp Replacement  (Read 2995 times)

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
Tutorial: Wilhelm's Improved X-clamp Replacement
« Reply #330 on: October 12, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(Vertex699 @ Oct 12 2008, 02:46 PM) View Post

I guess my RROD is fixed but now when i play fifa it says the disc is unreadable.....not immediately though but  sth like 10 min of play....Couldn't get the time to check other games.....Anyhow, how do i stop this?
BTW, are the 360 falcons susceptible to RROD? and when will they release JASPER?

yes they are there are a couple of examples on the forums, falcons fail a lot lately, fixed 2 of these this week already...

Make sure that the disc isnt scratched, if it is burn another copy....
If the problem persists go get some high quality media, Verbatims from Singapore...
If these dont work either you will have to tweak the laser, search for Moda's pot calibration tutorial then...

QUOTE(dzydzy @ Oct 12 2008, 09:02 PM) View Post

So I've finally managed to get my xbox to last about 7 hours and still going... but sometimes when I play certain games it freezes and i have to shut it down and I can simply turn it back on and it works again.

is it overheating or something? Seems to only do it with 1 game...

If it only happens with this single game it might be a scratch on the disc, if it happens with others oa well there will still be a cold joint somewhere, adjusting the screws should make it go away then...

reodan92

• Archived User
« Reply #331 on: October 12, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »

my dvd drive says 2005 so im guessing that it has a 2005 motherboard with it. Should i still heatgun it? Ive tried like everything to fix my xbox but nothing works. Should i keep trying non heat gunning techniques?

strife18

• Archived User
« Reply #332 on: October 13, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »

Hey Wilhelm,
I've been pretty busy with school so I haven't been able to try what you said until tonight.  Basically I have a 0102 that has come back several times after xclamp, overheat, and also from heatgunning.  Recently you told me to not heatgun because it would just keep coming back and the only real fix would be to find the correct tension on the screws.  I tried that tonight starting at just barely holding the heatsinks on, then trying it, and tightening each of the screws about 1/8 to 1/4 turn, then trying again.  I did this until all screws were fairly tight and didn't want to go any further just in case.  Each time it was Rrod and still 0102.  Would you recommend me posting some pics to see if there is anything you can see or is there something flawed in my methods?  
Thanks

farntheplaya

• Archived User
« Reply #333 on: October 13, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »

Ive got 2 xbox 360 consoles with 0110 errors

I tried heatgunning the Ram chips and the whole system twice but still no luck

I even tried the Penney fix still no luck

any ideas?

BTW the board has no noticible flex and is in physically 100% condition (under the naked eye)

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #334 on: October 13, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(reodan92 @ Oct 13 2008, 06:35 AM) View Post

Hey does anyone know where i can get some Plastic Foil so i can heatgun my board? Also how exactly did he get such a perfect hole in the metal casing his motherboard sits in? i have like no tools that could make a perfect circle, would a dremel with a hole cutter head work?

You gotta cut out the whole window then , just get a 1cm drill this will do the job perfectly...
And the plastic foil can be bought at home depot or hardware stores

QUOTE(reodan92 @ Oct 13 2008, 07:21 AM) View Post

my dvd drive says 2005 so im guessing that it has a 2005 motherboard with it. Should i still heatgun it? Ive tried like everything to fix my xbox but nothing works. Should i keep trying non heat gunning techniques?

Try non heat gunning techniques first some of these mobos flex extremely.
Adjust the tightness of the screws it is just a matter of time.
SInce you seem to have tried everything else heatgunning will be your only option though, just be very careful and it should be alright.

QUOTE(strife18 @ Oct 13 2008, 08:48 AM) View Post

Hey Wilhelm,
I've been pretty busy with school so I haven't been able to try what you said until tonight.  Basically I have a 0102 that has come back several times after xclamp, overheat, and also from heatgunning.  Recently you told me to not heatgun because it would just keep coming back and the only real fix would be to find the correct tension on the screws.  I tried that tonight starting at just barely holding the heatsinks on, then trying it, and tightening each of the screws about 1/8 to 1/4 turn, then trying again.  I did this until all screws were fairly tight and didn't want to go any further just in case.  Each time it was Rrod and still 0102.  Would you recommend me posting some pics to see if there is anything you can see or is there something flawed in my methods?  
Thanks

Hmm guess I told you not to overheat it dont think I told you not to heatgun it...

Some pictures of the GPU/CPU/ area below them might help to determine why it doesnt work.

QUOTE(farntheplaya @ Oct 13 2008, 08:55 AM) View Post

Ive got 2 xbox 360 consoles with 0110 errors

I tried heatgunning the Ram chips and the whole system twice but still no luck

I even tried the Penney fix still no luck

any ideas?

BTW the board has no noticible flex and is in physically 100% condition (under the naked eye)

For how long did you heatgun it, did you keep the timings?

And just a general question @ ALL, why the hell do you ask stuff about the heatgunning process in this topic this is about the X-Clamp Fix, LOL.
Post your heatgun related questions in the heatgun thread

strife18

• Archived User
« Reply #335 on: October 13, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »

Full Mobo:
IPB Image

Top GPU:
IPB Image

Side GPU:
IPB Image

Side 2 GPU:
IPB Image

Side CPU:
IPB Image

Hope these pictures work.
If you see anything that could help me out that would be great.
Thanks!

raptor18

• Archived User
« Reply #336 on: October 14, 2008, 12:56:00 AM »

So i did the wilhelm fix on the GPU only (and the 12v fan mod). Then the xbox started up but froze. So i did the fix on the CPU too.
However, after i did it, and started the xbox i got 2 blinks IMMEDIATLEY (it did startup just before).
What could it be? Does the CPU overheat that fast?

Raptor

aeroshock

• Archived User
« Reply #337 on: October 14, 2008, 02:21:00 AM »

Update to my post on the last page...

After a few days I think I have a problemo...I played xbox a ton over the weekend, and today i was playing again for a couple hours and the game crashed. So I restarted and when the game started there was red static on the screen. I figured something was overheating so I shut it off. Turned it back on an hour later and everything looked OK again but Im afraid to play it now. I dont want to cause permanent xbox damage.

Kind of weird that this would happen now instead of when I was playing all weekend...eh. what should I do?

HopOnRocks

• Archived User
« Reply #338 on: October 14, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »

I just found out about this fix the other day and it seems really interesting. I've had my 360 break in the past so I have repaired with the regular x-clamp fix and it just broke again the other day. I originally did the fix back in April so it has been working for some time now.
I opened my 360 up because I figured I would have to do it again but I completely forgot to check out what type of error code I am getting. My system turns on fine all the time but after about 10 minutes of play time I get graphical error suchs as green lines on everything, or a full lock up. Turn off the system, turn it back on and it works for another 10 minutes or so. I've only got the RROD once while my system has been acting up like this.
Now I don't know if I should go ahead and do this method or not because I'm unsure if it can help me out in any way. I was thinking if I were to put credit card pieces down I'd put them down in strips rather than little squares, wouldn't that work too?
I just took my 360 apart now and I noticed all that the majority of my nylon washers have melted together together with the metal ones. Are they safe to use again, or am I just wasting my time? I'd buy more but there is no where in town where I can buy them so I'd have to order online and wait a few weeks.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Any help is appreciated

XXpMuneyXX

• Archived User
« Reply #339 on: October 15, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »

OK So I did the Xclamp by your tutorial. I can get the xbox to work fine for about 8 startups, then it will first give the E74, then the RROD 0020. I tighten some more screws, same thing happens. What should i do?

arvkova

• Archived User
« Reply #340 on: October 15, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »

Argh! I just noticed that I knocked off a couple of caps on the bottom of the GPU sad.gif
I think it happened when I last tried to fix the original clamp harder. Wilhelm, do you happen to know what is the value of that cap and where can I get those?

IPB Image

Skv012a

• Archived User
« Reply #341 on: October 15, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(arvkova @ Oct 14 2008, 03:07 PM) View Post

Well, after the first attempt I didn't see any difference in the flexing level of the GPU, so I bent the X-Clamp some more and still nothing after two days. Then I bent it more and it got very hard to fix it to the heat-sink. Left it for two days and still nothing sad.gif

I'm going to try with the thick square pieces and the x-clamp replacement and see it there's any difference...

This was the first GOOD tut I found. Here's what I did differently: I added 1mm squares of aluminum to the RAM chips instead of washers since they cover the whole chip and I omitted the padding squares on the GPU since my RAM padding did more than a good job helping level the heatsink. I'll have to play w/ my elite more to see just how well this worked, but it lost E74 immidiately after this fix.

I think that RAM padding is a very good idea and with it the padding around GPU only makes the sink lose contact, so its not necessary. CPU did fine with pads, so I let that one be until it proves otherwise. Lastly, don't use regular tape in areas with high heats- thats asking for a mess. Thermal grease did a fine job acting as glue until the sink was installed.

HopOnRocks

• Archived User
« Reply #342 on: October 15, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

So I went ahead and did this fix and I used tape instead of thermal paste. I didn't use strips of the credit card I decided to use little squares.
I turned on my 360 and it worked for about 2 secs and then it overheated. And it continues to overheat as soon as I turn it one. The system starts up like a plane taking off. The fans get louder and louder until they shutdown and I get the 2 rings.
Anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I am getting the error code 0012. So overheating according to some sites.
Maybe I used too much tape? or not enough thermal paste maybe? Any clues?

namzuf9

• Archived User
« Reply #343 on: October 15, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »

It sounds like the credit card pieces may be too thick, take off the heatsinks and make sure that the thermal paste has made contact with them - you should be able to see an imprint of the microsoft text on them.

This happened to me the first time I did this fix, as advised I sanded the credit card down a little to reduce the thickness. Also make sure that the tape you are using is thin enough to not interfere with the heatsinks making contact with the GPU/CPU.

HopOnRocks

• Archived User
« Reply #344 on: October 15, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »

Right after I made that post I took my Xbox apart again and checked the tape. It seemed that it was rising and probably a bit too thick. So I tore it all off and them placed the credit card pieces down with the thermal paste. Also recleaned the CPU/GPU and put new paste down, a little thicker and more even this time.
My Xbox worked fine right away and stayed on for about 20 minutes or so. I would have tested it longer but I had to go to work.
Anyways, I'm hoping this thing will do the trick. Even if I can get another few months out of it.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27