xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hdmi To Yamaha Rxv 1600 No Audio / Really Loud Buzz  (Read 64 times)

binkky

• Archived User
Hdmi To Yamaha Rxv 1600 No Audio / Really Loud Buzz
« on: December 11, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »

I apologize if this has been asked before.  I'm at work, so I was only able to get about 10 pages into this forum before having to get some stuff done.  

Equipment.  Xbox 360 Arcade BenQ Drive flashed Iextreme 1.2...I think.
HDMI cable (used same HDMI cable to same receiver with PS3 - no issues).  
Yamaha RXV-1600 HDMI Receiver 2x in 1x out.  

This is how it started.
I got my 360 back yesterday, decided to plug it in using my existing HDMI cable that was run to my PS3 out of impatience.  Didn't want to wait for the new HDMI cables that are in the mail, or the new HDMI switch.  I get to the dashboard fine, all video options work great, sound is fine.  

I put in my backup of Rock Band, it gets to the Harmonix logo and a Buzz like a fire alarm starts going off in my house, so much to the point that my wife actually tried to take the batteries out of the fire alarms.  By muting the Yamaha unit, I figured out, it wasn't the fire alarms.

So I grab my original disc of Rock Band, plug it in, get to the Harmonix logo, same thing.  I'm a technician, here is my troubleshooting, I just hope someone has some insight.  Roads point to the receiver, but I kinda want someone to tell me what to do, or tell me it's not the receiver.

I plugged standard def AV's into the receiver (red / yellow / white), no issue.  I plug HDMI direct into my Samsung 720p 50 inch DLP, no issue.  So now I'm thinking ok, maybe it is the receiver...can't be the wire, can't be the deck...not the tv.  So I go ahead and reconnect things to futz with it more.  I put in the Matrix HD-DVD into my HD-DVD drive to test a few more options.

No audio at all from HD-DVD's.  

This receiver was about 500.  I can't really take a bat to it.

Any recommendations, what ifs? could bes?

If not, thanks for the read anyway!

-binkky.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »

On rare occasion my receiver will get out of sync when a digital audio source switches formats and I get a painfully loud form of digital static I'd describe it like a fax machine noise being feed through a distortion pedal and then amplified 20times...

the 3 or 4 times this has happened to me I simply turned off the receiver and popped it back on to get my crystal clear sound back.

What does this have to do with your situation? I'm thinking that maybe your receiver is having trouble decoding the audio signal... either Rock Band is using a slightly different form of audio encoding that your receiver doesn't understand or has problems decoding, or perhaps it triggers a flag and your receiver thinks that the HDCP is being broken on the audio channel and throws an alarm (like a high tech version of macrovision)

This could mean that your receiver isn't working properly... or that your console is muddying up the signal somehow.

I'm not really sure what the solution is, however I would try renting or borrowing another original copy of Rock Band and waiting to get your new HDMI cable in the mail to try that just to be sure...

if neither one fix the issue then try borrowing another console from a friend to try on your equipment.

if that doesn't work then you can be 100% sure that the problem is with your receiver.

At that point I would try to get help from Yamaha or a Yamaha support forum...

Other things you can try in the mean time is manually setting your receiver to decode Dolby Digital from that input rather than  relying on the audio detection.

binkky

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »

Excellent advice thank you.  I am also going to give a try to switching ports on the receiver as well.  I have my brother coming over with his version of Rock Band and his HDMI Xbox 360 tonight.  

It just doesn't add up because the 360 doesn't have a problem direct to the TV, so that says receiver problem, but none of my other HDMI inputs (Scientific Atlanta DVR or PS3) have any problems with either HDMI in on my receiver, so that says Xbox 360.  

My fingers are crossed that putting that equalizing monoprice HDMI switch in between the two devices will alleviate the issue altogether and this post is for nothing.

If / when I have a solution I will post it so those suffering from the same issue can get a fix.

Note - When the audio buzz pops up, which it does reliably with Rock Band at least, and I change inputs on my receiver, and change back, the buzz is gone.  HOWEVER! When I encounter the HD-DVD no audio issue (100% of the time), and try the change inputs trick, it does NOT fix the problem.  Potentially 2 issues?

binkky

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »

Okay, so I got home, found out that I had ordered two HDMI to DVI wires (useless) so I couldn't hook things up and give them a home like I wanted.  However, I did get an additional HDMI 1.3 cable.  I tested a different cable, no dice.  I tested using the Monoprice HDMI 4x1 switch.  No good.  The only way to get this thing to work properly is to set my HDMI audio to passthrough so it doesn't decode DTS, or to connect the 360 directly to the TV.  

Awful predicament.  Still not sure what I'm going to do.  Waiting on my brother to test a different Xbox 360....

Will post results.

binkky

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »

File this under crap.

Tried a second HDMI Xbox 360, same issue.  If I set the receiver to not decode it works but only in 2 channel stereo, not 5.1.  If I let the receiver code, it's either no sound or buzzing.  

Contacting Yamaha, or getting a new one.  

Thanks for the help all!

-DJ

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »

I'm glad you got it sorted out... (or at least determined the culprit)

raiser

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »

I have the same problem with Xbox 360 playing any video file audio over HDMI out into my RXV-2600.
power cycle the receiver temporarily fixes it, I get a message "Secure HDCP link restored" but it fails again on the next video.  This appears to be a handshake issue between the Xbox 360 and the Yamaha, but I am sure both companies will point fingers at the other.

Any further ideas?

twan69666

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »

I have an older Yamaha reciever, but mine does the exact same thing. I instantly figured that it was a handshake issue due to hdmi and good ol drm crap. It doesnt do it if I watch an wmv (i.e. a vc-1 encoded wmv) but anything else it does.

Anyone have any news or a possible solution for this?

Stupid DRM!  grr.gif

ByrdDogX

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(binkky @ Dec 11 2007, 10:12 PM) View Post

File this under crap.

Tried a second HDMI Xbox 360, same issue.  If I set the receiver to not decode it works but only in 2 channel stereo, not 5.1.  If I let the receiver code, it's either no sound or buzzing.  

Contacting Yamaha, or getting a new one.  

Thanks for the help all!

-DJ

I have a Yamaha HTR-5990 and it does the exact same thing.  I sent an email to Yamaha and they responded that they are not familiar with the problem, but something tells me they should be.  I can get 5.1 sound on games, but after I put in a DVD - I get nothing and the games go back to 2 channel.  It has been very frustrating even though I bypass the whole issue by using HDMI for video and then Optical for sound.

da_pirate

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »

i have this exact same problem with HTR-6090 & 5990 & RXV-861.
On two separate xbox's. On the third xbox (older one with HDMI) no problem

Both were elite units that were giving me fits. I tried the elite on the third receiver to verify the problem. My regular xbox did not have this same problem. This is because of decoding. I only have this problem when watching a video or dvd. I did solve this problem on both receiver by going in setup and seting HDMI Set to "other" and not the receiver. That's fine since i only use HDMI for PS3 & Xbox. At first i did not get surround, i just had to go and readjust the soundfields for THX to get get my surround sound. All is just as it used to be when i was using component & optical cable. So getting a new unit, will only have the same effect. I think this is because the yamaha sucks at decoding. Just remember, when you change the audio source, you will have to set the audio sound field to get 5.1 dolby or use a component cable with the traditional optical output

This post has been edited by da_pirate: Mar 4 2008, 08:21 AM

nmoore41

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue?  I am experiencing the same problem w/ HDMI going through my Yamaha RX-V2600.  I have a 360 Elite, w/ HDMI out from the XBOX to the 2600 and HDMI from 2600 to my Mitsubishi 62” DLP.  The XBOX Live Screen and games have great audio/video; however, any video played from XBOX Live Marketplace has the high pitch fire alarm sound and no audio from Recorded or Live TV through my Media Center Extender.

I have plugged the original XBOX HDMI cable directly from the 360 to the TV and that works fine (audio works in above scenarios).  I have also plugged my 16’ HDMI Monster cable in from the 360 to the TV and that works fine as well.  Given this, it seems it is a Yamaha issue.

If anyone has found a resolution, please post.

Thank you!

stsalkit

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 04:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(nmoore41 @ Feb 16 2009, 11:43 AM) View Post

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue?  I am experiencing the same problem w/ HDMI going through my Yamaha RX-V2600.  I have a 360 Elite, w/ HDMI out from the XBOX to the 2600 and HDMI from 2600 to my Mitsubishi 62” DLP.  The XBOX Live Screen and games have great audio/video; however, any video played from XBOX Live Marketplace has the high pitch fire alarm sound and no audio from Recorded or Live TV through my Media Center Extender.

I have plugged the original XBOX HDMI cable directly from the 360 to the TV and that works fine (audio works in above scenarios).  I have also plugged my 16’ HDMI Monster cable in from the 360 to the TV and that works fine as well.  Given this, it seems it is a Yamaha issue.

If anyone has found a resolution, please post.

Thank you!

Just to let you know, you are not alone in this exact problem. Unfortunately I did not find a solution yet. If I connect xbox direct to TV - no problem but also no surround. If I connect it via Yamaha, well... the issue you describe.