xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Which Sata Chipset?  (Read 17 times)

BILKO1

• Archived User
Which Sata Chipset?
« on: March 26, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »

I'm trying to dump a hitachi 78fk, slax works fine and windows sees the drive but toolbox can't dump the firmware. I've tried a onboard sil chipset (dodgy i know) ali and via pci cards all see the drive but none let toolbox dump. I read lots of threads with people having the same problems, perhaps one of you profesionals out there could get a list of what sata chipsets work with what drives?

Heres my sucesses so far--

I have sucessfully flashed samsung ms25 and ms28 using via 6421A (bad flash method works everytime) and Hitachi 49 with onboard sil chipset (nforce 2 motherboard)
I also managed to dump an ms28 using onboard intel ichr8 and the wire trick (a bit hit and miss though)
I'll go to the pc shop tomorrow and see what else is available that supports optical drives as this seems to be the problem.

swampy1111

• Archived User
Which Sata Chipset?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »

have you installed the driver for the via card

OggyUK

• Archived User
Which Sata Chipset?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:25:00 AM »

Without sounding like a cock.

Do you not think we could advise easier, more accurately if we had an error message, or where toolbox 'wont dump'

Does toolbox recognise the drive?

BILKO1

• Archived User
Which Sata Chipset?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 06:11:00 AM »

Sorry,drivers are installed and no exclamation marks in windows device manager. Toolbox recognises the drive but the error can not read from drive pops up then the pc normaly locks up.And yes i have an original disc in the drive.

This post has been edited by BILKO1: Mar 27 2008, 01:12 PM

DarrenR

• Archived User
Which Sata Chipset?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 06:53:00 AM »

Probably an incompatible chipset, sounds like it is. Tried another computer?