xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Xbox Live ban updates  (Read 1133 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« on: December 21, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »

Xbox Live ban updates
Posted by Iriez | December 21 21:26 EST | News Category: Xbox360

So we've gotten some interesting conclusions over the past week regarding the new 'waves' of bans over supposedly modified consoles on xbox live.

As you've all seen, Microsoft has started unbanning consoles. I've seen alot of people who were banned this past weekend, and are still banned, no matter how much yelling they do to poor customer reps. Others, who have modified firmwares ranging from 5.x to 1.4, and have never made a phone call have miraculously become unbanned!

As always with Microsoft, there is no rhyme or reason to their actions. A couple interesting things we have found...

You CAN have your console banned for having a 12v fan mod. A very trusted user of www.360patches.com got told directly from MS reps that his fan was modded on his 360 and that it violates the TOA. Any modification of hardware does indeed violate the TOA, so legally they reserve the right to ban users from live for that reason. Petty yes, but justified. A fan mod would be reasonably easy to detect, as voltage metering is something standard in all bios for the past 10 or so years.

In regards to 'bad game data' or kreon rips, SS, dmi and pfi, it appears that the reason MS might be unbanning xbox360's is because we've found evidence that strongly suggests ANY xbox360 can return bogus data. After some internal testing on a few older 360's, it seems that once a lens is near the end of its life, it can respond with all sorts of data, or lack thereof. A len's on the fritz was able to produce all sorts of odd angles that a new drive would not, aswell as tons of missing data throughout SS files (many chunks of data that read 00's instead).

So, it appears that MS is backtracking somewhat on the ban's, likely due to the reasons described above. Their infallible system has proven once again to not be perfect, and to attack innocent users. As always, we recommend that if you are a live user, to NOT modify your system, as you will eventually get banned.

baberg

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »

Out of curiosity, do the older dying lasers also report bad information on the PFI/DMI sectors on retail disks and/or backups?  Or are the dying lasers just reporting back incorrect C/Rs and reading all other data properly?

Iriez Edit-

Yes, dmi/pfi are fine. Seems that only SS in regards to C/R is affected.

This post has been edited by Iriez: Dec 23 2007, 06:17 AM

pezjono1986

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »

What... the... fack...
Who the hell decided to start banning consoles with fan mods!?!
I'm starting to think they really do want consoles to RRoD... More money in their bottomless pockets grr.gif

superost

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »

NO 12V MOD!? WTF! The reason we do that is because it may get overheated - idiots..
seriously.. this is starting to get annoying

Teamxbox

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »

I have a launch 25sammy that may have modded firmware and 12v mod(still not banned). This report has the power to convince people to remove the 12v mod next time they crack it open.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(superost @ Dec 22 2007, 04:52 AM) *

NO 12V MOD!? WTF! The reason we do that is because it may get overheated - idiots..
seriously.. this is starting to get annoying

Preventing the RROD does indeed violoate the TOS for LIVE, as well as the EULA (which you don't have to agree with to purchase). Personally, I think using an intercooler is just a bad idea anyway, but here's a *new* reason why (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I did have one of my consoles recently banned; my backup of Gears of War was having trouble reading on first attempts; I wonder if that's what banned me...

mlapaglia

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »

makes me wonder if my 360 got banned because of the fan mod.. i was really careful with my backups and never played one with a bad SS...

lets see how this second one makes out.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »

wow. not something i would expect to read coming into this article.

pretty crazy that they had to backtrack, meaning what though? A bad SS is now no longer a infallible way of determining a modification or banning someone from live?

sounds a little to good for a lot of people.. unless, i'm missing something.

cofree

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »

I can not believe they will ban you for the 12volt fan mod.That in a nut shell is why I will keep "Fighting Tyranny in a Technological Nottingham"I find that policy personally offensive.  grr.gif
The other thing I have against them is they don't have the GUTS to step up and say."Sorry guy we made a mistake."
they just quietly try to make it go away.
Any one or company that will not openly admit there mistake can kiss my!

andjelko

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »

Should we be concerned if you have a blaster 360 installed?

and

I liquid cooled my 360 - no way for MS to check that except now the stock fans (no 12 V mod) run at a low speed all the time. Should I be concerned?

Iriez

• Administrator
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Dec 21 2007, 11:15 PM) *

wow. not something i would expect to read coming into this article.

pretty crazy that they had to backtrack, meaning what though? A bad SS is now no longer a infallible way of determining a modification or banning someone from live?

sounds a little to good for a lot of people.. unless, i'm missing something.

Well, it certianlly points that way.

This is not the first time that MS has banned and backtracked. It also happended a few weeks after the first wave, i recall a wave rolled, and within a week the entire wave was removed.

dbldown768

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »

so with this news i would assume that the current fw available is going to remain as the stable version for people to use, as it always reports good (jitter) data to ms - perhaps even better than the original.  sound very unlucky for some.  It is very dissappointing to hear how easy it is for a user to loose live privileges with no fault from thier own.

shlipshlip

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »

@iriez: is c4eva working on a new firmware update?  Or are you basically saying that no new tactics of banning were used this time around?

and i'm curious about blaster360 too, as i just bought one

This post has been edited by shlipshlip: Dec 22 2007, 05:04 AM

thiluxan_s

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »

I got a friend to do the 12v fan mod for me. Is it possible to undo it? Because I'm on LIVE and I'm still not banned though blink.gif . Thanks.

Deltagunner

• Archived User
Xbox Live ban updates
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

So the fan header mod I did from http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=549063 makes it possible for them to ban me?  I already had my console RROD.  Wow is all I can say.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12