xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Simple Db-25/cat5 Lpt Nand Dump/flash Cable Tut  (Read 1331 times)

Savio

• Archived User
Simple Db-25/cat5 Lpt Nand Dump/flash Cable Tut
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »

Hello, great tut - im getting ready to do it myself to get back my hdd ^^ I've got an question, if i will need an switching diode, where should it go? The other diags are not so clear for me and yours is great so maybe you'll explain it to me tongue.gif does it go to the DB25 plug ? or somewhere on the Mobo?

TheGlow

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »

Whered you get that nice db25 connector? Id like one like that to put the resistors safely in. I made the usb to 360 memcard wire and my resistors and wires are always snapping off.
Im not seeing it on radioshack.com

Someone needs to premake these so we just need to solder on.

whaevr

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »

When I stripped open the cat5 cable there are 8 small wires in it, your pic is only using 7 of them, I'm guessing you just left that one blank right?

I just finished soldering to the motherboard...talk about nerves man lol  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

(IMG:http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9179/xboxsolder.th.jpg)

Crap camera=crap pic haha

@TheGlow
I got one just like it from radioshack today, search part number 276-1547

This post has been edited by whaevr: Nov 29 2009, 10:24 PM

Chemodile

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(TheGlow @ Nov 29 2009, 12:19 PM) View Post

Whered you get that nice db25 connector? Id like one like that to put the resistors safely in. I made the usb to 360 memcard wire and my resistors and wires are always snapping off.
Im not seeing it on radioshack.com

Someone needs to premake these so we just need to solder on.

Here and here at radioshack.

whaevr

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »

ARGH just hooked it all up and nanpro didnt find a flashing device I didnt use a diode hopefully thats all I need to do -.-"

whaevr

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »

Ah I got it to read!!!!

...turns out I forgot to plug the xbox into power..heh....

I'm still amazed I did the mod correctly blink.gif

bmwbmwbmw

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 05:00:00 AM »

An idea: Why not just use the existing ethernet port, and hook up an external switch to cut the connection when it's not in use? Would doing it that way interfere with anything?

phrozenfeonix

• Recovered User
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »

you would need a lot of switches to make it work, or one switch with like 8 poles dual position...

Not worth it, if you can just have the hdd conceal the plug.

jayman81

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »

Hi Sabbath Dude

Can you tell me which coloured wires on the cat 5 cable go to which colour on the xbox 360 mobo and also on the DB25 connector or it doesnt matter.

Thanks,

fwibble

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »

Hi first time poster  ph34r.gif

I'm going to give this guide a bash but have a quick n00by question, the guide shows the usage of only 7 wires (if i'm reading it correctly), however the RJ45 cable has 8 wires, do you just snip/tap up the spare wire, aslong as you use the same wires for both the 360 and the dsub?

cuberob

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(fwibble @ Dec 3 2009, 05:54 PM) View Post

I'm going to give this guide a bash but have a quick n00by question, the guide shows the usage of only 7 wires (if i'm reading it correctly), however the RJ45 cable has 8 wires, do you just snip/tap up the spare wire, aslong as you use the same wires for both the 360 and the dsub?

yes, pretty much. You can just leave that wire unused/unsoldered.
Just used this guide 3 days ago, worked like a charm! So thanks a lot!
I did experience some problems (got all kinds of errors when reading the nand the first time) but then i shortened some wires and added the switching diode (dunno which helped, but i think it was shortening the wires) and then poof. It read my Nand like a charm.
I was actually quite amazed at what this motherboard can handle, im quite bad when it comes to soldering, screwed it up a couple of times and had to use the back of the motherboard because i fucked up the solder points on the front. But i eventually connected everything and got it to work! Anyway, i'm currently very happy with my uncrippled xbox! I now use this one offline and another xbox (unmodded) for all my online gaming (read MW2) and switch my profile for achievements and so on via a memory card. The Ideal setup for me!
Anyway, thanks again for the great tutorial

jayman81

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(cuberob @ Dec 3 2009, 04:50 PM) View Post

yes, pretty much. You can just leave that wire unused/unsoldered.
Just used this guide 3 days ago, worked like a charm! So thanks a lot!
I did experience some problems (got all kinds of errors when reading the nand the first time) but then i shortened some wires and added the switching diode (dunno which helped, but i think it was shortening the wires) and then poof. It read my Nand like a charm.
I was actually quite amazed at what this motherboard can handle, im quite bad when it comes to soldering, screwed it up a couple of times and had to use the back of the motherboard because i fucked up the solder points on the front. But i eventually connected everything and got it to work! Anyway, i'm currently very happy with my uncrippled xbox! I now use this one offline and another xbox (unmodded) for all my online gaming (read MW2) and switch my profile for achievements and so on via a memory card. The Ideal setup for me!
Anyway, thanks again for the great tutorial

Does it matter which coloured wired soldered on the motherboard?

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(Savio @ Nov 29 2009, 08:06 PM) View Post

Hello, great tut - im getting ready to do it myself to get back my hdd ^^ I've got an question, if i will need an switching diode, where should it go? The other diags are not so clear for me and yours is great so maybe you'll explain it to me tongue.gif does it go to the DB25 plug ? or somewhere on the Mobo?
If you need to install a diode then you should solder it directly to the DB-25 plug on pin 11 (same as with the resistors). Just make sure the black band is pointing towards the 360 end.

QUOTE(whaevr @ Nov 29 2009, 09:22 PM) View Post

When I stripped open the cat5 cable there are 8 small wires in it, your pic is only using 7 of them, I'm guessing you just left that one blank right?
Yeah there's one extra wire. Just pick the one you don't want and snip it.

QUOTE(jayman81 @ Dec 3 2009, 04:36 AM) View Post

Hi Sabbath Dude

Can you tell me which coloured wires on the cat 5 cable go to which colour on the xbox 360 mobo and also on the DB25 connector or it doesnt matter.

Thanks,
It doesn't matter, just as long as the points on the mobo are soldered to the corresponding DB-25 pins (just follow the diagram).

QUOTE(fwibble @ Dec 3 2009, 04:54 PM) View Post

Correct  wink.gif , just choose a wire and snip it.

jayman81

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Dec 3 2009, 05:03 PM) *

If you need to install a diode then you should solder it directly to the DB-25 plug on pin 11 (same as with the resistors). Just make sure the black band is pointing towards the 360 end.

Yeah there's one extra wire. Just pick the one you don't want and snip it.

It doesn't matter, just as long as the points on the mobo are soldered to the corresponding DB-25 pins (just follow the diagram).

Correct  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) , just choose a wire and snip it.

Thanks Sabbath Dude!!

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »

Glad to hear this tut has helped a few of you  biggrin.gif . If you still have trouble reading your NAND then you can try the following.
Shorten the length of the cable (the shorter the better).
Lower the resistance. Instead of 100ohm try 50 or 60 etc. Even try without (at your own risk!).
Fit a switching diode to pin 11.
Remember to have the 360 plugged in but not switched on  wink.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21