xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Simple Db-25/cat5 Lpt Nand Dump/flash Cable Tut  (Read 1348 times)

jayman81

• Archived User
Simple Db-25/cat5 Lpt Nand Dump/flash Cable Tut
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Nov 29 2009, 09:51 AM) *

You can never have too much hot glue  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) .
Soldering is 10x easier if you use solder flux. Cover the points on the motherboard with a good amount of flux using a cotton bud and it should make things a lot easier. Also make sure your soldering iron is hot enough and that the tip has been tinned. Tinning the ends of the wires you're going to solder is also a big help. You can find some good videos on youtube if you need more soldering advice  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) .

I got one more question for you Sabbath Dude. I'm not sure if plumbing flux is Ok to use when soldering to motherboard? Is there a different kind of fluxes you use?

phrozenfeonix

• Recovered User
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »

You should really shop for PCB Liquid Soldering Flux or Flux Paste. Plumber's flux is probably very similar, but I've heard some of the materials in the plumbing solder, etc. can be harmful to PCBs.

jayman81

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(phrozenfeonix @ Dec 3 2009, 11:57 PM) *

You should really shop for PCB Liquid Soldering Flux or Flux Paste. Plumber's flux is probably very similar, but I've heard some of the materials in the plumbing solder, etc. can be harmful to PCBs.

What about this Acid Paste Flux would that be Ok for the PCB?

Tommy 2 Gunz

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »

I am looking for the same info as JayMan,  I can't seem to get a solid connection on each of the points.  I don't know if its the solder I use or the flux I use but, there must be something I'm using diffrently because I can't get these things to stick.  I got everything connected but nandpro is telling me it doesn't see a flash.  If you guys can list the materials you use to get a solid connection I would appriciate it

Uther_Dark

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »

Right, Total Noob here, Love what you have done, just one thing...I have NO IDEA what these diodes/switches look like, etc...I'm gonna hit up Radio Shack Shortly and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction, because most likely they won't have a clue either wink.gif Just any extra info would be helpful...

Tommy 2 Gunz

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(Uther_Dark @ Dec 4 2009, 08:42 PM) View Post

Right, Total Noob here, Love what you have done, just one thing...I have NO IDEA what these diodes/switches look like, etc...I'm gonna hit up Radio Shack Shortly and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction, because most likely they won't have a clue either wink.gif Just any extra info would be helpful...

Wish I was home to tell u the part number, but radio shack has part drawers labeled "resistor" dioide" etc so finding the parts shouldgnt be too hard unless you can't read smile.gif but for the switching diode, I found A package labeled "switching diode" in the diode draw good luck

Shaurya

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »

Thanks, man, i was really confused and worried bout solderin diods etc to motherboard. , and thought it would be a mess i wont be able to clean after the thing.

Anyways now i can make this ethernet stuff and then, also update stuffs frm time to time.

Btw, mate can ya tell me if its possible to change the region of our console without infectus?

And also is that jtag necesarry, i think not cuz u would have mentioned it, then.
And if we need the diode then in which pin do we have to attatch it to?

Can we harm our x360 if we dont add diodes-resistors. Just to check if it works with our mobo without them or not?
I think we can check that if it doesnt read the nand correctly n- frm the status code u gave. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
Cant we?

BTW, i see this is compatible the uncrippling of HDD.
Well i actually want to add the XBReboot v0.5. Do i need JTAG for that?
And also, my last update was Xbox live Preview Program for facebook etc. I am banned but didnt go online & my 360 is unaware of it.

Thanks
-Shaurya

This post has been edited by Shaurya: Dec 5 2009, 04:25 AM

keine

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »

I have a question.

The Cat5 cable you are using, is it solid core or braided.

Mine is braided wire and I was wondering if this is a problem when soldering to the motherboard. In all the mods I've ever done, I've always used solid not braided wire.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by keine: Dec 5 2009, 07:13 AM

pipeme

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2009, 06:11:00 AM »

Hi guys

Got a quick question about my sodlering pencil.  I got a 45w unit that has a variable temperautre knob from 250 degrees celcius up to 450 degrees.  Is this OK to use if I turn the temp down, or is it still too powerful since it is 45 watt?  

If it is OK, what temperature would equate to the 15-20 watts that is recommended?

Thanks

Zheez

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(Shaurya @ Dec 5 2009, 03:15 AM) View Post

Btw, mate can ya tell me if its possible to change the region of our console without infectus?

BTW, i see this is compatible the uncrippling of HDD.
Well i actually want to add the XBReboot v0.5. Do i need JTAG for that?
And also, my last update was Xbox live Preview Program for facebook etc. I am banned but didnt go online & my 360 is unaware of it.

You will not be able to change region or use XBReboot with that dash update.  You will only be able to restore HD install functionality again so you won't need to solder the 3 JTAG resistors for that.

If you were hoping for homebrew on that box though, it's not happening unfortunately.

ToxIk42

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »

Just want to say that I constructed my cables using mostly this guide and they work a charm. Big thanks for the tut biggrin.gif

Martinchris23

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(keine @ Dec 5 2009, 06:13 AM) View Post

I have a question.

Mine is braided wire and I was wondering if this is a problem when soldering to the motherboard. In all the mods I've ever done, I've always used solid not braided wire.

Thanks.

I would recommend solid core wire - multi-strand is harder to work with (since a strand could come loose and bridge a connection).

jayman81

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »

Is there an alternative way to this being solderless? I can't solder the wires on the mobo properly. Shaky hands.. LOL

This post has been edited by jayman81: Dec 7 2009, 07:01 AM

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(keine @ Dec 5 2009, 06:13 AM) View Post

Mine was braided. But as Martinchris said, solid core is a better option. However I'm not too sure you'll find many cat5 cables that use solid core (although I could be wrong). Working with braided wire isn't a big challenge for this project though. The solder points are all relatively large and easy to access. When preparing the wire for soldering just expose the ends, twist, apply a small amount of flux, then use your soldering iron to apply a little bit of fresh solder. This will solder all the braids together and will make the job of attaching to the mothorboard much much easier.

QUOTE(jayman81 @ Dec 7 2009, 05:55 AM) View Post

Is there an alternative way to this being solderless? I can't solder the wires on the mobo properly. Shaky hands.. LOL
As of now, no. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Xecuter release a solderless solution like in the old days with the solderless mod chips. I think it would be pretty easy to design a product that clamped directly onto the motherboard with either a USB port or connection for special LPT cable. Who knows, I'm sure there's enough money in it to be worth their while. But for now you'll just have to wait or practice soldering  wink.gif .

vintage_guitar

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »

No, you have to solder. Sorry. However, it is easier to take the motherboard out of the chassis, and stand it upright. "Poke" the wire through the front pad by heating the pad on the back of the motherboard with the iron while you poke the through the front. Then clip excess that's sticking out with toenail clippers, so you dont create a short when putting it back into the chassis

This post has been edited by vintage_guitar: Dec 7 2009, 09:28 PM
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21