xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Xboxmediacenter - December 23rd 2007 Svn Rev11071 Build  (Read 878 times)

mattspew

• Archived User
Xboxmediacenter - December 23rd 2007 Svn Rev11071 Build
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ender925 @ Dec 25 2007, 05:36 AM) *

So this version does not have any streaming issues? I have been reading comments for the last few releases and there appears to be a problem with streaming video/audio over a network connection (something about a delayed start?). I have 2 Xbox's wired into my LAN which pull media from a NAS box so the functionality of streaming media is essential to me.

Last time I upgraded my xbmc was in February so I am LONG overdue for some of the new functionality and want to use the holidays to get everything setup nicely.

So you're saying the LAN/SMB delayed start issue is fixed??
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=4178225

Can anyone else confirm this?
I'm holding off my next upgrade till this is fixed.

mattspew

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(mattspew @ Dec 28 2007, 10:31 AM) View Post

http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4178225

I can confirm myself it HAS NOT BEEN FIXED!!!
Back to the old version of XBMC & MC360..  grr.gif

Come on, fix it!!

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(mattspew @ Dec 28 2007, 11:27 AM) View Post

I can confirm myself it HAS NOT BEEN FIXED!!!
Back to the old version of XBMC & MC360..  grr.gif

Come on, fix it!!

Yes sir right away sir

Translation = fix it yourself or start paying the person who codes it money for the program you get for free every week until then use a little less attitude

mattspew

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(Jezz_X @ Dec 28 2007, 12:37 PM) *

Yes sir right away sir

Translation = fix it yourself or start paying the person who codes it money for the program you get for free every week until then use a little less attitude

It wasn't a order, it was a request from a frustrated user. If I knew how to fix it myself, I would.
This so called improvement has been in the last 5 or so versions. It's about time someone who knows what they're doing looked into it. I can't be the only person in the world using XBMC and SMB/LAN shares.

I think you should look at your own post for attitude. Smartarse.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(mattspew @ Dec 28 2007, 02:30 PM) View Post

It wasn't a order, it was a request from a frustrated user. If I knew how to fix it myself, I would.
This so called improvement has been in the last 5 or so versions. It's about time someone who knows what they're doing looked into it. I can't be the only person in the world using XBMC and SMB/LAN shares.

I think you should look at your own post for attitude. Smartarse.

Why is it "It's about time someone who knows what they're doing looked into it" ?
XBMC is programmed by people who do this in their free time, they fix/add what ever they want to, If you don't like it don't use it.  
They are in no way obligated to do anything just because a user wants it they do it all for free and to be honest you are lucky they even bother making it when its the only xbox app still under constant development

Again if its an issue for you either use the older version until its changed/fixed or just put up with it don't come in with  grr.gif  and lines like "I can confirm myself it HAS NOT BEEN FIXED!!!" because in internet world that means you are shouting (capitals).

mattspew

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(Jezz_X @ Dec 28 2007, 03:25 PM) *

Why is it "It's about time someone who knows what they're doing looked into it" ?
XBMC is programmed by people who do this in their free time, they fix/add what ever they want to, If you don't like it don't use it.  
They are in no way obligated to do anything just because a user wants it they do it all for free and to be honest you are lucky they even bother making it when its the only xbox app still under constant development

Again if its an issue for you either use the older version until its changed/fixed or just put up with it don't come in with  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)  and lines like "I can confirm myself it HAS NOT BEEN FIXED!!!" because in internet world that means you are shouting (capitals).

POMPOUS ARSE!! Yes I'm yelling at you..
You really are a jerk. Does it make you feel big to turn nothing into something?? Is your life that boring?
I'll grrrr and CAPITALISE whatever and whenever I like if it helps convey my frustration with this bug.

Why can't I come here and confirm something has a bug even if it was my own question?. I'm just making sure the programmers of this community project are aware of the bug. Isn't that the whole point of this forum? Your idea of wait, see or use and older version is useless. How will the programmers know there's bugs if people don't post them.

Since NO programmers has EVER reply directly to the posts I've made for the last few versions, I'm assuming they either don't read them, or don't care. A tiny bit of feed back from someone in to the know, and I mean someone in the know, not some self-important net-Nazi like yourself would go a really long way.

Insert your final words below.. I know you're just aching to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

pumkinut

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »

I really try to refrain from ad homming, but you're being a complete dick mattspew.  If you read message boards other than this one, you'll see that it's a known issue, and will be fixed.......in time.  The developers for XBMC are giving up their time to work on something they love, that other people may use (and learn to love), for free.

So, it's in our, the users, best interest not to piss on their child as it were, by bitching and moaning just because a non-point release (essentially a beta/work in progress) doesn't perform to your expectations.  

If you find this bug so fucking distressing, go to an earlier version.  Nobody's forcing you to upgrade.  Hell, I've been using XBMC for the better part of 3 years now, and I upgrade maybe twice to three times a year.  There's really no compelling reason to be on the bleeding edge unless a particularly nagging bug is fixed, or a kick-ass new feature is introduced and doesn't break something else in the meantime.

It's childish attitudes such as yours that make developers sorry for putting quality software out to the masses.  If you're so goddamned steamed about this, learn to code and work on it yourself instead of whining about something that really isn't even breaking XBMC.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(mattspew @ Dec 28 2007, 03:53 PM) View Post

Why can't I come here and confirm something has a bug even if it was my own question?. I'm just making sure the programmers of this community project are aware of the bug. Isn't that the whole point of this forum? Your idea of wait, see or use and older version is useless. How will the programmers know there's bugs if people don't post them.

There is a difference between coming here and reporting bugs than coming here using grumpy grrr faces and yelling because its not fixed yet.    
I know the team pretty well (since I'm part of it) and they don't respond well (fix things) just because people start yelling and getting angry at them no matter how anoyed it makes you.  Infact it just makes them think why should I bother at all.  It will get fixed when the coders are good and ready to look at it not because you want them too Its their free time.

kics

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 01:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(kics @ Dec 24 2007, 03:13 AM) *

hey, in the last revs i noticed when watching a video over wireless network sometimes it suddenly stopped... i kept watching the buffer status and it reached 80% but suddenly stopped.... cant check for wired 'cause all my house has wireless network  ... (that sux)

i'll check again with this build but anyone knows if this is an unresolved issue ?
btw i have my xbx(1) connected trough an wrt54g with ddwrt for a bridged connection...

nope... still has issues, i've been trying to see if it has something to do with being vista ... but i cant confirm this because i have two computers that i use for streaming vids to the xbmc one doesnt have issues and the other does.... both are vista

here's part of the log ..

17:07:10 M: 43737088   ERROR: XFILE::CFile::Delete - Error deleting file Z:\71fbcac7.fi
17:07:12 M: 43737088   ERROR: XFILE::CFile::Delete - Error deleting file Z:\6b972123.fi
17:07:19 M: 25075712  NOTICE: Display resolution AUTO : NTSC 4:3 (4)
17:14:21 M: 23232512   ERROR: XFILE::CFileSMB::Read - Error( Invalid computer name )

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 04:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(pumkinut @ Dec 28 2007, 05:34 PM) View Post
If you find this bug so fucking distressing, go to an earlier version.  Nobody's forcing you to upgrade.

Quoted for truth.

QUOTE(mattspew @ Dec 28 2007, 03:53 PM) View Post
You really are a jerk. Does it make you feel big to turn nothing into something?? Is your life that boring?
I'll grrrr and CAPITALISE whatever and whenever I like if it helps convey my frustration with this bug.

Quoted for irony.

QUOTE(Jezz_X @ Dec 28 2007, 06:20 PM) View Post
Infact it just makes them think why should I bother at all.

Quoted because this scares me! Some of us know when we're getting a free lunch, and we really do appreciate it!

Re the SMB cut-out issue, a while back scrupul0us was complaining about the same issue. Apparently he fixed it by changing channel. Given that I set up a Wi-Fi network the other day and this fixed (other) problems for me as well, I'd recommend giving it a go.

Manitcor

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

Hi guys new to XBMC and this forum however very old hat developer and geek. Thanks to the T3CH crew for this release. I orignally downloaded last years build from xbins but this is a much improved build with a TON of improvements. It's nice to see such an active community.

Matt, I understand your frustrations and as this is the internet you certainly are allowed to type however you like. However just like in the real world you should be prepared to accept the reprecussions of your actions. Its seems to me that you are simply a user and have not neccassarily contributed to the development or release process of this software. This stuff is free and far out paces any commerical product I have seen on the market thus far. So until you are prepared to roll up your sleeves and dig in with help either with $$ or code then I suggest you either keep your rude commentary to yourself or trying being a bit more polite in your requests for a fix.

Please keep in mind that the reason the team hasnt fixed it yet may not have anything todo with thier lack of desire. What may be a simple line item or feature for an end user may have large regression impacts for an entire system. It is quite possible that the reason there is no fix is that its not as simple as changing a couple of line of code and until someone has the time to review the issue in detail and analyze the impact not only on the specified feature but the system as a whole and then implment the fix it simply wont happen. Sometimes things that seem "simple" can take upwards of 40+ hours of time to take care of. That is a lot of time for someone who likely had a job, family and other obligations. When you can only grab an hour or so of development time here and there a "simple" task can take months.

ANYWAY....

I tried to link back to the orignal SMB issue but could not find details, perhaps someone can elingthen me. To be honest I am not having the issue. I have a 1tb SATA Raid 0 array shared using SMB from a fully patched Win2k3 Standard server. Using this latest build I have had no problems with load times using SMB over the network. Further my XBOX is connected to a Linksys WRT54GL with DDWRT in wireless bridge mode connecting to my main network. I have seen nothing but snappy caching and load times for media files (mostly WMV but also rm, MOV and MPG) ranging in size from a couple megs to well over a gig.

Perhaps it is something in my network configuration that has allowed me to "work around" this issue without even knowing it. If some one can give me some more detail I will look into it and perhaps we can at least figure out a usable workaround for the issue until the dev team gets around to fixing it.

Ender925

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(mattspew @ Dec 27 2007, 06:31 PM) View Post

http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4178225

Just wanted to post an update as I have upgraded to the latest version. Doing a fresh install (my previous version was from February 07) I do not have any delayed start issues while playing Video or Audio files streaming over my network. I have tested AVI, MPG, WMV, ISO, & IMG files along with some being archived inside RAR files with no issues.

For reference, I have my Xbox hooked up to a gigabit switch along with my Infrant ReadyNAS running RAID5. I have configured SMB network shares that I utilize to access the media on the NAS device.

I do get a slight delay when starting/stopping/switching between Video files but I think thats related to me running XBMC in 720P 16:9 mode and having the Video playback resolution set to "Best Available" instead of fixed to 720P 16:9. Even then its not a large issue as the pause is no more than a second, I think switching the setting will fix the issue.

cricri_pingouin

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »

Thanks for another update biggrin.gif

bmansc

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »

Thanks for another great release!  We really appreciate all of the hard work you guys put into this!

Mcoto

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »

I'd like to ad that I have found the devs nothing but responsive to problems/bugs as well as feature requests.  More so than for products for which I pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

It also helps the devs to fix things if you put a little effort in yourself.  Have you posted or checked for a formal bug report?  The wiki clearly states how to do this.  Have you posted any logs so the devs can check for errors.  Have you done any trouble shooting yourself?  If so can you reproduce the error?  Can you isolate the problem?  Do you have a work around?  

I don't have this problem and I have four terabytes of network shares on three separate devices using SMB.  Have you tried changing your SMB environment.  For instance have you removed password protection if you have it enabled?  Have you tried using the IP adress for your shares instead of the workgroup etc.  There are a lot of things you can try yourself.  

Instead of complaining about a problem maybe you can ask the devs what you can do to HELP fix the problem.  They may need you to test patches and such.  To be honest its sort of rewarding to help the team make XBMC better especially for guys like me who have no real talent

M
Pages: 1 [2] 3